Going To Gathering VI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick,

While you weren't wasting time, did you manage to slip in a ride on NJT's River Line?

If you did, then when you have the time, I'd be curious on your opinion on that line vs. the Sprinter. We had briefly talked about that line and the different diesel LRT technologies in use on each during one of the SEPTA commuter rides.

While you weren't wasting time, did you manage to slip in a ride on NJT's River Line?
No River Line yet, Alan, but we're not outta here yet either. I well recall our diesel light rail talk while riding SEPTA.

Greetings from Gloucester City, New Jersey.

Team Whooz became so enamored of Baltimore, and of remaining in one place to reduce untoward movement, that we tarried in the vicinity for a number of days. On Saturday we returned to the B&O Museum for a rail fest event that featured riding behind steam and running demonstrations by a Civil War steam locomotive, of which there are only five with a documented history in the conflict. Plans were made to ride the local light rail system, but under the circumstances that proved unpractical; we settled instead for a few photos and some video at Hunt Valley station on the northern end of the line.

From the top: William Mason "American Type" 4-4-0 No. 25 following a demonstration run near the old B&O shop complex; Porter 0-4-0T No. 4 pulls a train back toward the museum. Apparently the museum had nobody available who knows how to properly fire No. 4. The amount of smoke was ridiculous - all that white is not a blown photo, it's some of the smoke pall that blanketed the area where No. 4 passed; Baltimore light rail at northern terminus.

i-2XHJQVx-M.jpg

i-n5vxGTc-M.jpg

i-DCGbChK-M.jpg

Another damn dismal day without riding a train!

But as a sort of final act of east coast rail tourism - following another doctor's appointment and various chasing around in prepration for heading back west - Team Whooz did get to watch New Jersey Transit's River Line in action at its 36th Street station in Camden, New Jersey.

Now I've at least SEEN all three U.S. diesel light rail operations (Portland, Oregon's, WES and San Diego County's Sprinter are the others). As AlanB and other AU veterans know, I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to these things, with especially low regard for the mechanical monstrosity that is Sprinter. While I didn't get to ride the River Line, I did pay close attention to the trains I was able to witness and came away with as positive an impression as I suppose I could ever get from a mode I consider a poor - albeit practical in some circumstances - substitute for electrification.

There'll be more to say on the subject in a more detailed trip account than this rant-on-the-run diary thing. For the time being we're about to mount the bile-green Interim MayhemMobile and point its wheels toward the setting sun for what promises to be a hectic westbound run to southern California.

Photos: A southbound River Line train arrives at 36th Street, and another - headed for Trenton - pauses on its way north.

i-5k6wqp2-M.jpg

i-L242NDs-L.jpg

Another damn dismal day without riding a train!

But as a sort of final act of east coast rail tourism - following another doctor's appointment and various chasing around in prepration for heading back west - Team Whooz did get to watch New Jersey Transit's River Line in action at its 36th Street station in Camden, New Jersey.
I'm sorry that circumstances conspired against you and prevented you from riding the River Line. I suspect that your impressions of it, at least compared to Sprinter, would have been far more favorable.

Now I've at least SEEN all three U.S. diesel light rail operations (Portland, Oregon's, WES and San Diego County's Sprinter are the others).
Actually WES is commuter rail, not light rail. There are currently only two diesel powered LRT ops in the US. Ottawa has the third system in North America.

Greetings from an area on severe weather watch, somewhere in Tennessee west of the Johnny Cash Rest Area.

The only rail-related info to report from what has become the Team Whooz Cross Country Cursing & Criticism Crusade is that I just happened to be wearing a Johnny Cash t-shirt at the Johnny Cash Rest Area. Bought it at a Target in Philadelphia (and considered it a lucky find) while shopping for broken arm-friendly attire like Velcro shoes and sweat pants. The garment features a photo of the "man in black" and his guitar in front of a set of steam locomotive driving wheels. Yippee, right?

The cursing and criticism of the new trip title are of drivers encountered, many of whom drive so abominably that perhaps cringing should be included as well.

I want to use some of this post to single out for high praise Executive Assistant Alice, without whom the unfortunate orthopaedic episode would have been an unmitigated disaster instead of a mitigated one. At every turn she's been an invaluable and crucial partner in Team Whooz, and I don't even wanna think about how things might have transpired otherwise.

As this post is pecked out, in fact, Alice is industriously plotting potential courses that include rail components to complement the remainder of our westbound run.

From the top: the rented Interim MayhemMobile (hideous, ain't it?) at a non-Johnny Cash rest area in Tennessee; Johnny Cash Rest Area, also in Tennessee; Johnny Cash rail-related t-shirt that saved this post from being entirely off topic.

i-FhjJxk9-M.jpg

i-T8R2Dr6-M.jpg

i-T72BKWH-M.jpg

Nice find Patrick :cool: (Serendipity) , really Ugly Wheels! :eek: We all knew Alice was the Brains behind Team Whooz, now you admit it! ^_^ Hope the Healing goes fast and the Drivers improve as ya'll head West! (but dont come through Austin if you want to avoid Bad Drivers! :help: )Look forward too future Updates and Pics from the Road as ya'll Roll back to the Left Coast!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be gagging all the way across country if I had to drive a car that color. :eek:

Hope you have a safe, uneventful trip and see LOTS of trains :wub: .

Greetings from Van Horn, Texas, "America's Gateway To Nowhere!"

Thank you to the three latest Valued Reader respondents for confirming that Team Whooz aren't the only ones appalled by the hue of the Interim MayhemMobile. Its single redeeming quality is being easy to spot in a crowded parking lot. As we were checking into last night's lodging at Weatherford, Texas, Executive Assistant Alice struggled to name the vehicle's color as the clerk filled out a form, finally settling on "really ugly green." When the clerk asked if that's what she should write down, Alice pointed the car out for her. "Oh," said the clerk, "we call that babysh*t green."

We've had two brief rail interludes over the past couple days: The Casey Jones Museum at Jackson, Tennessee, and the little interurban museum at Plano, Texas. That last was expensive, timewise; a little sidetrip off I-20 that ended up costing us five hours and most of the day's westward progress as we crawled through the rush hour flotsam and jetsam of Dallas and Ft. Worth. Originally hoping to reach a point beyond Abilene, we struggled as far as Weatherford before throwing in the towel for the day.

From the top: Towering caboose of the Casey Jones Motel at Jackson, Tennessee; 4-6-0 locomotive at the Casey Jones museum (adjacent to the motel), numbered 382 and claimed to be the engine that Jones was running in the April, 1900, wreck that killed him and began the legend. It is in fact a 1905 Baldwin, Clinchfield Railroad No. 3. The original Illinois Central 382 was built by Rogers Locomotive Works, and was repaired and returned to service after the fateful collision, but this isn't it; Texas Electric Railway interurban at downtown Plano museum; Northbound DART train arrives at Downtown Plano station, which is next to the park that's the site of the interurban museum.

i-m2dms9P-L.jpg

i-Zk8Fxc2-L.jpg

i-7rXvw43-L.jpg

i-pbTdpbK-L.jpg

Well BabyS**t Green sounds interesting for that car TeamWhooz.

The Dart cars look most interesting to photograph.

Thanks to your notes on the interurban museum I'll have to try and take a trip down there sometime to check it out. As well as the Casey Jones motel.

Van Horn is where John Madden used to stop his Bus and eat @ his Favorite Tex-Mex Resturant after he stopped riding Amtrak Trains!(Also the Feds bust lots of Dopers on IH10 including Willie Nelson a couple of times!) And there is an old saying in Texas: "Sun is riz and Sun is Set and Here We is in Texas Yet!" The DFW Area is doing a Great job with their Public Transit after starting with basically Zero in this LA East Metroplex! Hope the Ugly Mahemmobile makes it back to Lotus Land in a timely fashion, always enjoy yalls Posts and PicS! Hope the wing is healing nicely too!

Greetings from La Casa de Whooz.

Yes, Valued Reader, Team Whooz is safe and somewhat sound back in southern California (though Executive Assistant Alice will be heading north soon).

Following a final grueling push we staggered through the door and promptly collapsed. Only after experiencing the regenerative effects of several days passed in a quasi-vegetative state have we revived sufficiently to churn out a few words. First among those few is the observation that taken altogether, and in my view at least, the trip was - how you say - OVERLY eventful. Still and all we're more or less in one piece after all the experiences, which were positive on balance.

This is the first - and please let it be the last - time I've had to credit medical professionals among those who helped make a successful Team Whooz adventure happen. So because I'm a big baby when it comes to pain, a special shout out goes to the doctors at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Divison of Orthopaedic Trauma, who wrote prescriptions for enough painkillers to let me complete the trip without howling in agony 24/7.

No thanks at all, though, to the cabby who drove us to the ER after the accident that broke the arm, for choosing a cobblestone street as part of the route. Holy boundless bouncing pain, Batman!

As to this ongoing rant, far from ending reportage we'll move from the mindless blather of the daily diary dispatch mode to the mindless blather of the ill-considered endless recap mode. What an exciting prospect!

Going To Gathering VI began with a ride aboard Pacific Surfliner 784, OXN-LAX, to connect with Southwest Chief train 4. With a Surfliner arrival of 4:55 p.m. and a Chief departure of 6:15 we were mulling until nearly the last minute whether we wanted to risk such a tight connection to begin the trip, knowing that we'd be up the creek sans paddle right off the bat on the H-room front if there was a Surfliner failure. After going round and round with the alternatives we rolled the dice and successfully rode 784.

Traveling fairly lightly by Team Whooz standards, we herded our bags from the Surfliner onto the platform to which we expected train 4 to be backed from the shops for boarding and departure. We didn't bother to enter the station at all, since that woulda been a major schlep down the ramps, through the tunnel, and into the station, only to have to reverse the whole exhausting procedure for boarding in just a few minutes' time. Better to stay above in the afternoon sun, occupied with testing the cameras by shooting the plentiful Metrolink and Metro Gold Line rush hour activity, augmented by a little Amtrak action as well. Alice has a new Fujifilm X10 she was taking out for the first time, so her shutter finger was particularly itchy.

During the boarding riggamarole I was pretty sure I recalled our sleeping car attendant from some previous trip, and the memory - though vague - wasn't positive. While he initially proved me wrong to the extent that I came to believe I was mistaken about my vague memory, in the long run - memory or not - over the course of the run to Chicago the guy didn't really cut the mustard. I had been right in the first place.

On the whole the LAX-CHI segment of Going To Gathering VI was highly enjoyable. It had been quite some time - since going to Gathering V, in fact - without Team Whooz having been aboard a long distance train for a long distance (we did a couple SWC hops back and forth over Raton Pass in May during "South By Southwest Chief"), so there was an enjoyable period of reacquaintance with extended riding of the rails. By the same token there was reacquaintance with the sensation of regaining one's "land legs" after that extended period on the train. I'd really forgotten about that part!

Chicago arrival was late largely due to a fire in some small town near Plano, Illinois. We were informed via (barely audible in the H-room) P.A. system that we had to hold in order to maintain a clear grade crossing for firefighting equipment, or for them to fight the fire or something like that. When we finally got cleared and rolled through we saw that the fire had heavily damaged a building right beside the tracks; firefighting equipment and people all over.

Greetings from Chicago, where the first order of business will be relocation from this hideous noisy rathole near Midway airport to more suitable lodging downtown. Until the move is accomplished it's well nigh impossible to even think straight.
That was posted near the beginning of this rant, on 9-30, and is as good a stopping point now as it was then.

Photos:

Going To Gathering VI, Day I - New tracks and platform at L.A. Union Station, the bustle of a busy rail terminal, and riding the rails again at last as Team Whooz got underway for what would prove to be an overly eventful journey.

Going To Gathering VI, Day II - Some shots through New Mexico on 9-28-10. Not many, though, cuz mostly Team Whooz was lounging and sightseeing in the Sightseer Lounge, from where the photography is notoriously poor.

From the top: 1) Not only passengers are boarding - baggage waits on vintage carts to be loaded into the vintage railcar that separates the meat from the chaff; 2) Underway at last, and shooting out the back of the Chief's last coach, we're passing the Metrolink platform at Commerce, some BNSF activity and locomotives, and empty intermodal buckets at one end of Hobart Yard; 3) Wreckage from a seemingly fairly recent derailment. Musta been a big one, cuz this kinda junk (literally!) was strewn trackside for a goodly distance, even at reduced speed; 4) Winding among the happening hills and killer canyons, headed for Lamy.

008-L.jpg

009-L.jpg

A001-L.jpg

014-L.jpg

Aloha

Did you drive that car into the Pacific Ocean? :giggle: Did the Blue Ocean help with the color? :rolleyes: :lol:

Aloha

Did you drive that car into the Pacific Ocean? :giggle: Did the Blue Ocean help with the color? :rolleyes: :lol:
Coulda also driven it down to San Diego, Parked it and it would be in Mexico in 30 minutes! :lol: Glad yall made it back to Civilization, hope your Luck improves in the Coming Year and we see yall in CHI @ the next Gathering back in Full Team Whooz Mode!

So they really named a rest area after Johnny Cash? Wow. Well, glad Team Whooz is back home safe and sound, that green car had to be very noticeable even when visibility was low. Really enjoyed the excellent photography as always.

Oh and the site layout has changed over the last couple of weeks... Mi mom has to adapt to change...oh no..

Let's see if I can muddle through an update, first since the recent forum software "upgrade" resulted in an actual DOWNGRADE in usability (as usual)...

It's been kind of a whle due to unanswered questions about the broken arm, favorably resolved with a recent orthopaedic appointment. Healing is well underway, and with the risk of reinjury virtually nil I'm free to jettison the sling and resume a rehab regimen that was already underway for a torn rotator cuff on the same shoulder. It was the break coming on top of previous injury that made the situation scarier than it woulda been otherwise and raised the ugly (but ultimately unnecessary) specter of surgery.

Continuing the endless recap in Chicago kind of emphasizes the fact that Going To Gathering VI was going pretty well until that dark day at the city of brotherly loathe.

After relocating to downtown Team Whooz capitalized on its central position to enjoy more of what that toddlin' town has to offer than had been readily availble from any airport outpost. Chief among the amenities was Metra's bargain weekend pass. Although Saturday was missed the two trips we managed to squeeze in on Sunday afternoon and evening meant we easily got our money's worth, especially in comparison to standard weekday fares.

The end of our weekend in town didn't mean we stopped riding, though, and on the Monday before continuing on to Philadelphia aboard the Cardinal we managed a run up to Waukegan and back aboard Metra's Union Pacific North Line.

NEXT: Departing Chicago and the Cardinal.

Photos:

Again, usability has been thoroughly trashed, and this is where it gets really ugly:

http://whoozon1st.sm...f#!i=2183163654 Going To Gathering VI, Day IV - Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town. After Team Whooz corrected its mistake of reserving at a hotel way out by Midway airport by moving downtown there was still time to do some riding around on Metra's bargain weekend passes. Runs out to Elgin on the Milwaukee West Line, then the Metra Electric to University Park and back, topped off the first day - a Sunday - in town.

http://whoozon1st.sm...05338&k=JFX9zbB - Going To Gathering VI, Day V - A Team Whooz cab car excursion through Chicago's posh northern suburbs to Waukegan, Illinois, and back aboard rush hour trains on Metra's Union Pacific North Line. Practically a cab ride, with many forward views! Comprehensively captioned. Also several off-topic Bonus shots around downtown Chicago.

Video:

http://whoozon1st.sm...41326&k=9s9XgwQ - Metra Reverse Running Meet Vid - Looking out the back of UP North Line train 329 headed to Waukegan, suddenly there's a southbound train whizzing past! 10-1-12.

http://whoozon1st.sm...98530&k=7pVCsz2 - Metra Highland Park To Highwood Vid - A 2.5 minute station-to-station video featuring quick acceleration, fast running, and quick deceleration, all viewed out the back of the trailing cab car of Metra train 329 running north to Waukegan, Illinois, on Metra's Union Pacific North Line at rush hour, 10-1-12.

http://whoozon1st.sm...55546&k=nmP4xhR - Metra Respot At Waukegan Vid - After backing and switching tracks, a Metra train runs forward to respot for boarding at Waukegan, Illinois. Northbound train 329 becomes southbound train 348 for the rush hour run through Chicago's posh northern suburbs on Metra's Union Pacific North Line, 10-1-12.

http://whoozon1st.sm...91717&k=mVRLxnC - Metra Slow Meet Vid - Slow running southbound meets slow running northbound on Metra's Union Pacific North Line at rush hour, 10-1-12

http://whoozon1st.sm...h#!i=2192631530 - Metra Station Meet Vid - Bell ringing and horn blasting, southbound Metra train 348 meets a northbound rolling out as it rolls in at Glencoe during rush hour on 10-1-12.

http://whoozon1st.sm...45922&k=T4s6NKW - Metra Fast Meet Vid - Running at speed, southbound Metra train 348 blasts past a northbound on the Union Pacific North Line just before a brake application entering a curve.

From the top: How Many Overpasses here at Hubbard Woods? At least six; drawbridge on approach to Clybourn appears to be a bascule type variant; outbound train at Ravenswood includes an unusual, single-level, car in its consist. What could it be? From the window configuration it doesn't appear to be a regular coach car; complementary service in action as a CTA el train runs parallel to the Metra UP-North main.

026-L.jpg

042-L.jpg

039-L.jpg

037-XL.jpg

Whooz, that single level car is the last private car on Chicago's commuter rail system. It's operated by a group out of Lake Forest, I believe, and offers privacy, tables for card games and other amenities for those wishing to pay the extra price of club membership.

Terribly sorry to hear of the broken "wing," Whooz. It's great that you are "playing through the pain" and continuing to give us a marvelous travelogue.

ScottRu, the wing's getting better every day. I was just holding off on an update 'til there was definitive progress to report; trying to leave it behind.

MikefromCrete, good call on the Metra private car! It's No. 553, successor to an earlier one named "Deerpath," and the price of membership was $900/year (and Metra passes) in 2009, when this story appeared:

http://articles.chic...nes-lake-forest

Public Transit's Private Club

Membership in Metra's Car 553 not as exclusive as it sounds

Looks like I got a lucky shot, but not really a rare one since the car runs regularly. Interior and exterior views found online:

48161936.jpg

496407840_4607e0791c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back