Going to seattle on CS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigval109

OBS Chief
Planning to go from Lax to Sea on CS and was wondering where the crew stays. My concern is that since the train arrives late at night if it's on time and even later if it's not. Where should we stay. The hotel I'm guessing that the crew stays in would be near by and acustomed to the late hours the train arrives. And also there's the price to be considered when you are on a fixed income if you know what I mean :unsure: it's fixed low. Im in need of information and advice. Thanks

Hi,

I travelled on the CS to Seattle about 4 years ago.. at that time the crews were staying by chance at the same hotel as myself, a Holiday Inn on Aurora Avenue. Quite far from the station. I didn't think it was a great hotel, nor location, and I would probably try to stay a little closer in.. If I remember correctly, there is a free travel zone in the city centre area. I think most big city hotels would be able to cope with a late night arrival, especialy if you warn them of the possibility beforehand.

I have often stayed in youth hostels when visiting America, (despite being 58!) and there is one in Seattle, open 24 hours..

Click here for Seattle Hostel website..

I have not used this hostel, but it is near the station, and I would use it for my next visit... don't think it was open 4 years ago!

Cheers,

Eddie :cool:

Planning to go from Lax to Sea on CS and was wondering where the crew stays. My concern is that since the train arrives late at night if it's on time and even later if it's not. Where should we stay. The hotel I'm guessing that the crew stays in would be near by and acustomed to the late hours the train arrives. And also there's the price to be considered when you are on a fixed income if you know what I mean :unsure: it's fixed low. Im in need of information and advice. Thanks
:hi: The hostel is an excellent tip, its right up the street from King Street Station and as far as worrying about late arrival, no problem, your credit card guarantees your reservation, also you can call and let them know you will be arriving late but with 24/7 service its not mandatory! This is an old hotel in the "International District" and for the price (most Seattle hotels are pricey/overpriced for what you get)it's great and very convient! :)

Crews don't always stay close to the station. They stay wherever Amtrak can negotiate a bunch of rooms at low rates with guaranteed availability every day of the year.

There's a Best Western a few blocks away. Don't recall their rates, though.

When I came off the CS in June I stayed at the Holiday Inn at the airport in SeaTac. The light rail station is pretty much in the parking lot of the hotel, so the connection isn't really a problem.

When I came off the CS in June I stayed at the Holiday Inn at the airport in SeaTac. The light rail station is pretty much in the parking lot of the hotel, so the connection isn't really a problem.
Doesn't the light rail stop running after 12:20AM?
Yes, but the CS seems to be running well, the performance page says its been running 92% on time for the past 12 months.

Yes, but the CS seems to be running well, the performance page says its been running 92% on time for the past 12 months.
Hmmm...just wait till the freight business picks up to pre-recession levels....and you'll see CS's punctuality do the same.....Remember: this is UP territory LAX right up to Portland....

cheers

Warwick has a free shuttle. It's a nice hotel downtown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...just wait till the freight business picks up to pre-recession levels....and you'll see CS's punctuality do the same.....Remember: this is UP territory LAX right up to Portland....

cheers
I wouldn't be so sure of that, seeing as how President Bush signed a law that enables the FRA to hold UP accountable for delaying Amtrak.

Hi

I'm not certain where the crew hotel is, but having lived in SEA for 25 years here is my few cents worth! King Street Station is in the Pioneer Square neighborhood and it's not the greatest part of town. There are numerous bars and nightlife in the area but lodging is sparse. The last time I checked rates at the Best Western mentioned in this thread the rates were typical for SEA. the ayh spot is the closest to the station. One of my favorite hotels is nearby and they offer a "ride the rails" rate. It's 20% off and they will pay the cost of a taxi back to King Street. It is the Hotel Monaco part of Kimpton Hotels. It's a 5 min cab ride and a great place to stay. www.kimptonhotels.com If you have other questions feel free to contact me. Enjoy your time on the CS.!

As far as hostels, there are: The Green Tortoise, 1525 Second Ave (206) 340-1222

,American Youth Hostels Inc520 S King St, Seattle, WA 98104(206) 622-5443

City Hostel 2327 Second Ave,

not sure how fixed you are on price, but the last time I arrived in Seattle via the CS I stayed at the Arctic Club. it's only a few blocks from the station and, in my opinion, the rates are good for a big city (esp. if you opt for the advance payment rate). also, i was pleased to note when I checked out that the hotel provided a free ride to the train station. we were supposed to arrive very far behind schedule and I called the hotel. the gentleman at the desk was super kind and let me know that the desk is staffed 24 hours and that my room would be held no matter what. oh and they give you warm cookies upon check in. :)

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/SEAACDT-Doubletree-Arctic-Club-Hotel-Seattle-Downtown-Washington/index.do?ctyhocn=SEAACDT

BigVal, there have been a lot of good suggestions, the only thing I can add is that usually the really cheap hotels are south of downtown. Yes, there are a few on Aurora, but I avoid them.

So, if you look at something like tripadvisor or what not, you'll see that Sea-Tac has the lowest in terms of price.

Good luck!

If you are comfortable sharing a target price point for your hotel, that would heelp posters give suggestions.

We stayed at Homewood Suites Downtown on Western Ave. last June. The taxi fare from the train station was about $9, and the nightly rate was around $160 per night. Not particularly cheap, but breakfast and dinner are included. Also, there is a nice little kitchen in the suite, so you can prepare your own meals to save money. (Safeway supermarket is closeby). This hotel is within easy walking distance to Seattle Center (Space Needle, etc).

We stay at a La Quinta that is a short cab ride from the station. Across the street from the hotel is a Budget car rental outlet if you want to get a car the next morning. This is very convienent as I usually drop the car at SeaTac and fly out.

Wb

I know for a fact the Crew hotel is a Holiday Inn near the Space Needle. I asked one of the crew members last year. I found it odd they would put the crew in a hotel on the other end of town, but I guess they get a good rate.

King Street Station is in the Pioneer Square neighborhood and it's not the greatest part of town.
Thank you, this is a good point that so many people try to shove off. This is completely true, this is the area of downtown that I feel the least safe in. I feel fine once I hit right near King Street, but once you walk up the stairs from King Street, the area gets very "iffy". I have nothing against homeless people at all, but when you meet 15 of them under a tunnel, it gets a little creepy. Many sleep under the 5th Ave and Yesler Way tunnel. Google map it and you'll see the location I am talking about. I was at the ball game last night and went down the stairs to the tunnel and the whole staircase reeked of urine and then I got to the bottom and the entire sidewalk was filled with sleeping bags and people trying to sleep.

I've found that the Moore Hotel works best for me. It's more toward the north end of downtown, just a couple of blocks west of Pike Place Market, and is inexpensive. I was there in June and cost $79/night. A cab ride from King St. station cost $6.75. It's an older hotel, and there are some rooms that don't come with a bathroom, so for even less, ($20+ less) a night, you can get a room with a community bathroom. That wouldn't be my cup of tea, but others might not mind. Not a fancy place by any means, but for me the bottom line was the price.

Very interesting topic!

I've also wondered what to do when I arrive in Seattle with the CS......

By searching a hotel nearby the train station I found the Doubletree Arctic Hotel what works for me! (As it seems to be within walking distance!)

But I´m not sure what to do!

Should I reserve a room for 1 night what´s enough if the CS is on schedule?

Or should I reserve a room for 2 nights,if I arrive after midnight?(Because It makes no sense for me to check out at 11 with a short of sleep and then hurry up to continue my journey to Port Angeles)

I think 2 nights are a better option for a more RELAXED journey.......

Anyway it´s a very useful discussion here for me as well!

Very interesting topic!

By searching a hotel nearby the train station I found the Arctic Tree what works for me! (As it seems to be within walking distance!)

Or should I reserve a room for 2 nights,if I arrive after midnight?(Because It makes no sense for me to check out at 11 with a short of sleep and then hurry up to continue my journey to Port Angeles)

I'd play it safe if affordability is not an issue. The CS has been on-time or close to it lately and should arrive long before midnight. However, you never know. I'd want that extra night of security, just to play it safe. Plus any time one can spend an extra day in Seattle, that's a bonus!

As an aside, I have a childhood buddy who lives in Port Angeles. It's a beautiful place, though I don't think I could ever get used to the weather. While it doesn't rain that much there, I could never get used to the cool summer temperatures. I gotta have my 80's and 90's!!!

Very interesting topic!

By searching a hotel nearby the train station I found the Arctic Tree what works for me! (As it seems to be within walking distance!)

I'd play it safe if affordability is not an issue. The CS has been on-time or close to it lately and should arrive long before midnight. However, you never know. I'd want that extra night of security, just to play it safe. Plus any time one can spend an extra day in Seattle, that's a bonus!

As an aside, I have a childhood buddy who lives in Port Angeles. It's a beautiful place, though I don't think I could ever get used to the weather. While it doesn't rain that much there, I could never get used to the cool summer temperatures. I gotta have my 80's and 90's!!!
It´s my vaycay so I´ll take the time to see Seattle! (That´s my plan in any case)

I´ll pick up a rental car in Seattle and then Port Angeles is a station on my way to Vancouver Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back