Going to the scrap heap?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I have learned from an Amtrak source that it is being considered by Beech Grove to scrap32501 (SII Deluxe Sleeper) and 33100 (AT Lounge). The cars are reportedly in pretty bad shape, and may be unrecoverable. Sanford, as you can well imagine, is outraged. Currently, if BG says the cars will be scrapped, the cars will be returned to Sanford, where a cut and paste operation may occur. As we all know the 34125, 34126, and 32100 were scrapped in the AT derailment. Sanford may attempt to cut an end off the scrapped car and paste it onto the Deluxe Sleeper and/or the lounge. IT has yet to be determined the exact fate, but it is possible. In other Auto Train news, Table Car 8600 and 590 (unknown model) have reportedly been sold and will be shipped out on a CSX General Freight sometime in the near future. Road power fans, Auto Train has resumed the three engine rotation with Auto Train in Sanford, inbound power from 53 goes out on the next days 52, two current matchups are 835(north)-842(south), and 843(north)-838(south). That's all the latest from AT South.

battalion51 said:
I have learned from an Amtrak source that it is being considered by Beech Grove to scrap32501 (SII Deluxe Sleeper) and 33100 (AT Lounge). The cars are reportedly in pretty bad shape, and may be unrecoverable. Sanford, as you can well imagine, is outraged.
Well the deluxe sleeper would be the greater loss if it were to be scrapped. With a little funding another diner can always be converted into an AT lounge.

Of course on the other hand since BG is largely rebuilding most of the cars that have been wrecked, I'd bet money that it wouldn't be all that hard to take a wrecked standard sleeper and convert it into a deluxe sleeper as they rebuild the car. After all they are already redoing the entire interior of most of those cars. So what's a slight change in the floor plan going to do to the rebuild? Most of the sleeping cars in BG have already been largely gutted, so just move a few walls and a few pipes and viola a deluxe sleeper.

Amtrak doesn't need this; a Deluxe Sleeper is a big money maker! Scrapping a Deluxe Sleeper is like scrapping 5 Standard Sleeping Cars, the Auto Train Lounge is an easy fix, but a Deluxe Sleeping car, there’s Only 6! Anyword on Deluxe Sleeping Car 32504 "Palm Harbor", I heard it was wrecked in the AT derail, I might be wrong though. <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

amtrakadirondack said:
Scrapping a Deluxe Sleeper is like scrapping 5 Standard Sleeping Cars,
Well it's not quite that bad, but it's certainly not good. :(

Remember that you are replacing 10 standard rooms with 5 deluxe rooms. So while Amtrak does charge more for the deluxe rooms, that gain is partially offset by the lost revenue from the decrease in available bedrooms due to the lost standard rooms.

AlanB said:
amtrakadirondack said:

Remember that you are replacing 10 standard rooms with 5 deluxe rooms. So while Amtrak does charge more for the deluxe rooms, that gain is partially offset by the lost revenue from the decrease in available bedrooms due to the lost standard rooms.
In my early post I said "Scrapping a Deluxe Sleeper is like scrapping 5 Standard Sleeping Cars", yeah that would be a little much, but its not good at all. :(

amtrakadirondack said:
AlanB said:
amtrakadirondack said:

In my early post I said "Scrapping a Deluxe Sleeper is like scrapping 5 Standard Sleeping Cars", yeah that would be a little much, but its not good at all. :(
Agreed. :)

Especially at this point in time when Amtrak doesn't have enough of any of the various Superliner cars to go around. Be it sleeper, coach, diner, or lounge at this point each and everyone is precious to Amtrak.

AlanB said:
amtrakadirondack said:
AlanB said:
amtrakadirondack said:

Agreed. :)

Especially at this point in time when Amtrak doesn't have enough of any of the various Superliner cars to go around. Be it sleeper, coach, diner, or lounge at this point each and everyone is precious to Amtrak.
Ditto, out of Pres. Bush's 360 billion dollar tax-cuts, he couldn’t of even given the 4.5 billion dollars Amtrak needs to rebuild its fleet!? <_<

I hope they can at least salvage the sleeper, and I do agree, any car lost is not good for the system, particularly the Deluxe Sleepers as there are only a few.

Scary to think that those are the numbers I applied to my Walthers Auto Train Cars. :eek:

The 32504 was not involved in the derailment, the 32501, 32502, and 32503 were (one of those was cut in the day of the derailment for a group of managers riding the train that day). The 502 and 503 have since been rehabilitated and returned to service. As for the resources, the 34125, 34126, and 32100 are the resources, it's theorized that a good end can be cut off and rewelded to the Deluxe Sleeper.

battalion51 said:
The 32504 was not involved in the derailment, the 32501, 32502, and 32503 were (one of those was cut in the day of the derailment for a group of managers riding the train that day). The 502 and 503 have since been rehabilitated and returned to service. As for the resources, the 34125, 34126, and 32100 are the resources, it's theorized that a good end can be cut off and rewelded to the Deluxe Sleeper.
Thanks for the info, somehow I thought that 32504 "Palm Harbor" was involved, guess it was on the Southbound Auto Train. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back