Good & Bad News

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must have not had scrambled eggs made from powdered eggs that my fellow Freshmen and I learned to avoid like we do Covid-19 today!
I had the powdered cafeteria eggs too back in the 1960's. Amtrak's replaced that with a cholesterol laden hockey puck of a breakfast sandwich... and calls it 'the hot selection.' Didn't enjoy either...

And for 2 people in a sleeper, the lowest I found for Dec 15-Jan 15 was $591. I have no idea what bucket that is other than it's not the highest bucket.
I'm quite sure that would be the lowest bucket and probably the fare prior to the increase a week ago.

The current fare for 2 non-discounted adults in a Roomette NOL/DEM is $603, corroborated by the current low bucket fare for the whole route for 2 adults being $729 on 16 Dec. [And $729 - $224 (the Coach fare for a sleeper) = $505 (which is just a little above the old $492 low bucket fare for 1 adult in a Roomette)]

I'm quite sure that would be the lowest bucket and probably the fare prior to the increase a week ago.

The current fare for 2 non-discounted adults in a Roomette NOL/DEM is $603, corroborated by the current low bucket fare for the whole route for 2 adults being $729 on 16 Dec. [And $729 - $224 (the Coach fare for a sleeper) = $505 (which is just a little above the old $492 low bucket fare for 1 adult in a Roomette)]
Yes, I have been seeing $603 as the lowest since May. Is this price increase across all Amtrak trains? And is it strictly or primarily because of Covid19 or were they planning on increasing the prices before Covid19 onslaught hit? Was there any announcement? Does Amtrak ever announce price increases?

Yes, I have been seeing $603 as the lowest since May. Is this price increase across all Amtrak trains?
Yes. Went up in May, huh? Been busy with other things and didn't notice the increase until about a week ago.
And is it strictly or primarily because of Covid19 or were they planning on increasing the prices before Covid19 onslaught hit?
Don't know.
Was there any announcement?
Not that I'm aware of.
Does Amtrak ever announce price increases?
I've never seen one.

And for 2 people in a sleeper, the lowest I found for Dec 15-Jan 15 was $591. I have no idea what bucket that is other than it's not the highest bucket.
Why take a train at these prices... with rapid deterioration of the physical product... heating and cooling systems constantly breaking down... and hardware in the Super liners no longer maintained, restaurant dining eliminated and replaced with tiny portions of cheap pasta or rice heated on a Polyethylene Terephthalate plate with carcinogenic and toxic properties.

The ticket pricing you are describing is in no way justifiable with what Amtrak is providing. You gotta pay more cause no rail competition ... guess you must agree to be taken advantage of. Just think of how far you could stretch $591 on a car trip spending the same as two nights on a sleeper. And don't forget, you need to spend about as much getting back. How much could $1182 get 2 folks on a car trip? [And betting you could chow down on a few steak dinners en route!]

No one loves train travel more than I, but when it gets this bad one must speak up!

No true Texan puts beans in the "chili." Beans are a side dish. And, unless it's the canned variety, hamburger meat is not used.
You are indeed correct and I knew that. I was trying to explain what chili vs chile was and I would never imply that Texans would put beans in when making chili. Heaven forbid. Their reaction would put the green/red chile fans of Hatch to shame.

And to keep this discussion in accordance with the topic, let me say that I agree with the Texans that to do so would be "Bad News".

Why take a train at these prices... with rapid deterioration of the physical product... heating and cooling systems constantly breaking down... and hardware in the Super liners no longer maintained, restaurant dining eliminated and replaced with tiny portions of cheap pasta or rice heated on a Polyethylene Terephthalate plate with carcinogenic and toxic properties.

The ticket pricing you are describing is in no way justifiable with what Amtrak is providing. You gotta pay more cause no rail competition ... guess you must agree to be taken advantage of. Just think of how far you could stretch $591 on a car trip spending the same as two nights on a sleeper. And don't forget, you need to spend about as much getting back. How much could $1182 get 2 folks on a car trip? [And betting you could chow down on a few steak dinners en route!]

No one loves train travel more than I, but when it gets this bad one must speak up!
$591 is for 2 people, so really $295.50 per person. Also, you don't know my sister. Awful backseat driver and she also freaks out sometimes when she drives. Plus seat belts hurt me a lot. I go without the shoulder harness when travelling local, but I don't want to push my luck by driving long distance in places that I don't know and thus with a higher likelihood of getting into an accident resulting in being thrown with head injuries which may be worse than death.

I have never priced a car trip with a chauffer - it would be interesting to see how that compares with a train. (I don't have to drive the train like I do the car)

Then again, I have no difficulty riding in coach to save the $$$

I have never priced a car trip with a chauffer - it would be interesting to see how that compares with a train. (I don't have to drive the train like I do the car)

Then again, I have no difficulty riding in coach to save the $$$

GREAT IDEA! AND: Another idea to maximize the coach seating idea... get a rail pass... one can even combine the national rail pass with the California pass... but be careful of allotted days of travel.

You can get on and off... points that interest you. And you're not paying for the foods you don't want or enjoy... pick up items along the way. You can use uber where the station is further from the central city. Or, you can stop at cities that have direct connecting local service... examples: St. Louis, Dallas, Denver, most East Coast cities... and on and on. You can literally circle the country with the lowest costing pass of $459 for 15 days and 8 segments. [I still think that pricing is high... but it's a great alternative for the rail buff to sit above those rolling wheels.

Cautions: En route stops with reduced LD service would incur stays of 2 or 3 nights.

These extended vacations would maximize your budget and allow greater flexibility. See info below or google. Enjoy exploring this option!!! 🤠
Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.00.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 8.02.08 AM.png

A friend of mine and I planned to take a "round trip" from Florida to Washington (to visit his daughter) via the eastern route to DC or NY and across thru Chicago and return thru LA and NOL/ATL/DC using the rail pass

Sadly, we did not get to take that trip and now probably never will

A friend of mine and I planned to take a "round trip" from Florida to Washington (to visit his daughter) via the eastern route to DC or NY and across thru Chicago and return thru LA and NOL/ATL/DC using the rail pass

Sadly, we did not get to take that trip and now probably never will
Don't get discouraged... many positives in the offing... tremendous efforts worldwide to get a covid vaccine, much pressure on Amtrak to restore service levels... especially when a vaccine eradicates the virus, and then there's the hope of you and your friend enjoying riding the rails again... in coach... bringing along your own gourmet food... chatting up a storm in the observation car... and having a great time!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/regeneron-coronavirus-antibody-drug-bn/index.html

GREAT IDEA! AND: Another idea to maximize the coach seating idea... get a rail pass... one can even combine the national rail pass with the California pass... but be careful of allotted days of travel.

You can get on and off... points that interest you. And you're not paying for the foods you don't want or enjoy... pick up items along the way. You can use uber where the station is further from the central city. Or, you can stop at cities that have direct connecting local service... examples: St. Louis, Dallas, Denver, most East Coast cities... and on and on. You can literally circle the country with the lowest costing pass of $459 for 15 days and 8 segments. [I still think that pricing is high... but it's a great alternative for the rail buff to sit above those rolling wheels.

Cautions: En route stops with reduced LD service would incur stays of 2 or 3 nights.

These extended vacations would maximize your budget and allow greater flexibility. See info below or google. Enjoy exploring this option!!! 🤠
View attachment 17942
View attachment 17943
Just be aware that this is for coach and to do this in a sleeper would require another big tack-on. You still have to make reservations for your various segments also, of course.

Just be aware that this is for coach and to do this in a sleeper would require another big tack-on. You still have to make reservations for your various segments also, of course.
For sure. If this were done with each segment in a sleeper the cost would be astronomical. Also if you are going with someone you know who you'd be sharing your seat with. As a solo you risk sitting next to a stranger you may not be harmonious with.

Back