Good news for Seattle King Street Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pebbleworm

Lead Service Attendant
It looks like progress is being made on the restoration of the Seattle Amtrak/commuter station, which had been stalled for years. BNSF owned the station, and really didn't concern themselves with passenger facilities provided for others. The city has assumed ownership of the property, and work is continuing. They even got the clock running again!

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/409776_stat...tml?source=mypi

It looks like progress is being made on the restoration of the Seattle Amtrak/commuter station, which had been stalled for years. BNSF owned the station, and really didn't concern themselves with passenger facilities provided for others. The city has assumed ownership of the property, and work is continuing. They even got the clock running again!http://www.seattlepi.com/local/409776_stat...tml?source=mypi
Thanks for the post and update!Im a fan of Union Station in SEA but as locals have pointed out its never gonna be a train station again so hope the next phase doesnt take decades like most government projects!When we were there in July the waiting room cieling was in poor shape,the busses had to load "under the tree" and taxis had to do a loop in the cul-de-sac to pick up/unload pax!I hope its done by next year,will paxs be able to go up in the tower

like they can again in the statue of liberty?Look forward to seeing it complete on my trip to the beautiful NW next year!(just call me the traveler jr.! :lol: )

I was down there Memorial Day weekend and saw the work they are doing, it's good that they are fixing up that station because boy does it need it. I'm sure it will be really nice when it is done.

If you get a chance to visit there's a nice informational exhibit inside with lots of historical photos and illustrations of what the renovations will look like when they are done.

If you get a chance to visit there's a nice informational exhibit inside with lots of historical photos and illustrations of what the renovations will look like when they are done.
This is the main display board of that exhibit.

The Seattle Department of Transporation's King Street Station page is a good place to keep abreast of this project, although they don't have yesterday's news about the clock up there yet.

If the Seattle P-I article is correct, the interior work, that was going to start earlier this summer, isn't going to start until next year. So, sorry jimhudson, depending on when you arrive, you will either be in the unrestored station interior, or in the temporary station they will set up while the interior is being renovated. I seem to recall reading that the hold-up is that the temporary station is going to be erected just south of the building, but there is a sewer project on that site that has to be completed first, and it is taking longer than expected.

The Seattle Department of Transporation's King Street Station page is a good place to keep abreast of this project, although they don't have yesterday's news about the clock up there yet.

If the Seattle P-I article is correct, the interior work, that was going to start earlier this summer, isn't going to start until next year. So, sorry jimhudson, depending on when you arrive, you will either be in the unrestored station interior, or in the temporary station they will set up while the interior is being renovated. I seem to recall reading that the hold-up is that the temporary station is going to be erected just south of the building, but there is a sewer project on that site that has to be completed first, and it is taking longer than expected.
Excellent news. Glad to see they are considering restaurants.

Glad to see they are considering restaurants.
Considering? I would think that restaurants would be a must at any train station (or bus depot, for that matter) in a major city.

Thanks,as before re my previous post on this topic you give good ingo!Just hope that the "temporary" station isnt as long lasting as St.Louis and a few other greybeards still being used(the new STL station is nice!) :lol: cant believe that full services arent being considered as part of the plan,"maybe" resturants isnt a plan,hope it doesnt end up being an empty waiting room with vending machines like so many grand old stations!

we are taking the eb spk-sea in a couple weeks and will very glad to see the clock in operation. i recall that the top of the clock tower will be lit at night. hope so. when in seattle it is definitely worth while to walk across the street from king st station (heading toward the international district) and walk through the restored union station. it no longer has anything to do with trains but is a beautiful space with a lot of the old fittings and furniture preserved

we are taking the eb spk-sea in a couple weeks and will very glad to see the clock in operation. i recall that the top of the clock tower will be lit at night. hope so. when in seattle it is definitely worth while to walk across the street from king st station (heading toward the international district) and walk through the restored union station. it no longer has anything to do with trains but is a beautiful space with a lot of the old fittings and furniture preserved

WHAAAT?

Been thru SEA a couple of times & never knew there was a Union Staion, I guess!

RF ;)

I'll have to check out the other station next time I'm there.

I am up the coast a lot closer to Vancouver BC and spend all my travel time up there in Canada, so whenever I hear of a renovation project these days, I assume it's to spruce everything up to get ready to make a good impression on the international visitors that we are expecting out here for the 2010 Winter Olympics in February.

So I am kind of surprised to hear that they won't be done with the King St. Station til long after that. But it's good to remember that not every construction project in the whole Northwest is only because of the Olympics :)

Thinking about doing a trip next September on the CZ to the CS to Seattle to see the Huskers VS the Huskies play. Wouldn't mind catching a Seahawks game to if they are in town. What would be the best place to stay in Seattle for two people who have never been there and good proximity to mass transit? Also, what is the mass transit name in Seattle? Do they have a website that helps you figure out how to get from point A to point B? Thanks!

Thinking about doing a trip next September on the CZ to the CS to Seattle to see the Huskers VS the Huskies play. Wouldn't mind catching a Seahawks game to if they are in town. What would be the best place to stay in Seattle for two people who have never been there and good proximity to mass transit? Also, what is the mass transit name in Seattle? Do they have a website that helps you figure out how to get from point A to point B? Thanks!
It's simply called Metro (short for King County Metro Transit). Here's the link to the Website: http://transit.metrokc.gov/

Commuter Rail in Seattle is the Sounder. It's a part of Sound Transit that also provides busses and light rail (almost streetcar). I don't know how King County transit and Sound Transit interface. Sounder does take you straight to Seahawks games, fwiw...

Last edited by a moderator:
You know that the Seahawks Stadium is next to King Street Station correct?You can walk there from the station!As to whether they jack up the rates on football weeknds it wouldnt surprise me,most tourist cities do!Lots of folks like Pioneer Square,its walking distance to the train station,lots of action in the area,good and bad!The other areas are the International District past the Train Station,lots of cheaper hotels there,then downtown is most of the high dollar nicer places including those along the waterfront!I prefer to stay up on the hill by the Key Arena/Space needle complex,some really nice places that are reasonable(usually,dont know if they go up for UW games but again wouldnt be surprised! :lol: )!The local transit is pretty nice,downtown you can ride the busses free,even up to the top of the hill by the Space Needle its only like $1.50/and the Mono-Rail goes from the Space Needle downtown by Nordstroms for only $2 or so,even less for seniors!Check out Orbitz,I find them the best cause you can actually see the hotels/all the info!If youd like you can PM me,Ive stayed in SEA many times,was there last in July/August_I dont live there,perhaps a native can give tips also!Have a great trip!One last suggestion,if you havent yet consider riding the Talgo to Vancouver,BC,its a great trip!Also you can get off in PDX and ride a Talgo to SEA if you havent done that yet!Lots of folks here dislike them,I think they are a great train for a short,nice ride! :)

If I were going to do that trip, I would stay in the central or northern part of downtown, which is convenient for transit and close to shopping, and is a short walk to the Pike Place Market. I previously have suggested the Mayflower Park Hotel at 4th Avenue and Olive Street as a nice place that looks like a good value, and NeilM says he has stayed there several times and highly recommends it. But there are many other hotels in that general area: The Westin, the Andra, the Warwick, the Max, the Grand Hyatt. On game day, you could walk two blocks south on 4th Avenue and catch the 43 bus on Pike Street at 4th Avenue and it would take you right to Husky Stadium. If you wanted to see the campus, you could take the 71, the 72, or the 73 to University Avenue on the opposite side of campus and stroll east to the stadium. You'd catch those three routes in the transit tunnel, the Westlake Station of which is one block from the Mayflower Park. The fare is currently $1.75, but is supposed to go up next year, so it might be $2.00 or $2.25 by the time you get here. If the Seahawks game worked out for your trip, there are many potential bus rides down to Qwest Field, and all of them would be free assuming (a) you rode before 7 p.m., and (b) you got off at or before Jackson Street.

And, I have written this before, but I will write it again: When you arrive in Seattle, if you don't mind toting your luggage a couple of blocks, you can walk from King Street Station over to the bus stop on 4th Avenue at Jackson Street, next to Union Station, and catch any northbound bus for free into downtown (assuming it's before 7 p.m., when the free ride service cuts off). Save that cab fare and spend it on oysters. I don't have all the transit routes memorized, but I know the 19, 24, and 33 would all take you from 4th & Jackson to a stop across the street from the Mayflower Park and one block from the Westin and the Andra, and the next stop is across the street from the Warwick.

You can figure all your transit routings out using the Trip Planner on the Metro Web Site.

(To address a question previously raised: Metro is King County's transit agency, and it runs buses and Seattle's miniscule new streetcar. Sound Transit was formed to set up cross-county transit in and between King, Pierce [Tacoma], and Snohomish [Everett] Counties, and it runs buses on longer-distance routes, light rail [Link], and heavy rail [sounder]. To confuse the unwary, Metro and Sound Transit buses charge different fares and have different fare structures -- Metro charges peak and off-peak fares, with zone fares applying during the peak time, while Sound Transit does not have peak fares but charges zone fares at all times. Transfers are honored between the two agencies, but the value Sound Transit places on a Metro transfer will not cover the full value of the ride on the Sound Transit bus you transfer to. And Link charges by distance, so the fare is different between each origination-destination pair. So, carry lots of dollar bills and quarters if you are going far afield -- but the rides from downtown to Husky Stadium I described are all on Metro and should be straightforward.)

Not only do I have an ORCA, of the type found at the link provided by MrFSS, but I used it extensively while in Seattle back in July. And I saved a fortune too, since not all agencies and operations are setup to accept it properly, but they still have to honor it. So for example, I was able to use ORCA on the Streetcar to indicate valid fare media, even though they don't have the tap readers up and running. And without the readers up and running, nothing was deducted from my balance.

But even if I had to pay for the ride, the ORCA is still a good thing to have as it is valid on everything, bus, rail, and ferry. And it handles all transfers too, so no paper transfers to worry about, just tap the card and go.

Not only do I have an ORCA, of the type found at the link provided by MrFSS, but I used it extensively while in Seattle back in July. And I saved a fortune too, since not all agencies and operations are setup to accept it properly, but they still have to honor it. So for example, I was able to use ORCA on the Streetcar to indicate valid fare media, even though they don't have the tap readers up and running. And without the readers up and running, nothing was deducted from my balance.
But even if I had to pay for the ride, the ORCA is still a good thing to have as it is valid on everything, bus, rail, and ferry. And it handles all transfers too, so no paper transfers to worry about, just tap the card and go.
I have an ORCA card too, and you are right that it is easier and you are right about all the free rides (even when the card reader is running, often the bus driver doesn't know how to work it and just waves you on when you show your ORCA card), but I wasn't going to suggest it to the potential visitors from Nebraska for several reasons. 1) It's not as easy to reload as, for example, a New York City transit card (I forget the name), where you can add value at every subway station. So you would either buy a one-month pass, which seems excessive for a weekend visitor, or load it as an e-purse and not know how much value to put on it -- put too little value on it and you could wind up out in Snoqualmie with no bus fare, or put too much on it and carry it home with money locked in it forever. 2) There are not very many places to get one. (Although, now that I look, I see you can get them in the King Street Center building, the county office building directly west of King Street Station. Ha! What convenience!) Also, I suppose a person COULD plan ahead and order one on-line at the ORCA card web site and already have it when he gets to town. 3) Although the fee is currently being waived during the introductory period, by the time RailFanLNK arrives, there will be a one-time fee of $5.00 to get an ORCA, and if someone is only coming to town for a weekend, that might be amortized over only a few rides, which offends my frugal sensibilities.

That having been said, sure, get an ORCA card when you visit Seattle. It works on every mode of transit, and you won't have to worry about having correct fare. Then the only thing to worry about is knowing when to pay. On buses heading to downtown, or that don't go to downtown at all, or on any bus after 7:00 p.m., you pay when you get on. On buses heading away from downtown before 7 p.m., you pay when you get off. This is because of the Ride Free Area downtown -- nobody pays on a bus downtown before 7 p.m.. There are signs on the farebox to tell you whether you pay as you board or pay as you leave. The Link light rail does not observe the Ride Free Area, so on it, you tap the reader on the platform before you get on, and you tap the reader on the platform when you get off, and it will compute your distance-based fare. (I have not yet taken a ride on Link, but that's how they say it works. And I don't know exactly how you pay with money, but I know you can.)

I wish they would come up with a universal electronic fare card, for which each agency simply charges its base fare. The only thing close to this I know about is how you can use a MetroCard to ride PATH, but they charge a 45¢ premium ($1.75 vs $1.30) over using their SmartLink card. I mean, I carry around so many different transit cards its not even funny. I guess my AGR card doesn't count, but I only frequently use 3 systems and for them I carry three PPR cards: a MetroCard, a Smartlink, and a CTA card.

NJT uses individual POP tickets you have to validate on their light-rail, which is infuriating as hell when you're racing to catch one and you need to purchase a ticket and validate it. Since I hate missing trains, I usually carry around 2 pairs (for Audrey and I) or one round trip worth of both HBLRT and Newark Subway tickets. I don't use them with frequency that would justify monthly passes, if they even offer them.

So for no good reason I have a total of 7 individual cards in my wallet for transit systems.

I have an ORCA card too, and you are right that it is easier and you are right about all the free rides (even when the card reader is running, often the bus driver doesn't know how to work it and just waves you on when you show your ORCA card), but I wasn't going to suggest it to the potential visitors from Nebraska for several reasons. 1) It's not as easy to reload as, for example, a New York City transit card (I forget the name), where you can add value at every subway station. So you would either buy a one-month pass, which seems excessive for a weekend visitor, or load it as an e-purse and not know how much value to put on it -- put too little value on it and you could wind up out in Snoqualmie with no bus fare, or put too much on it and carry it home with money locked in it forever. 2) There are not very many places to get one. (Although, now that I look, I see you can get them in the King Street Center building, the county office building directly west of King Street Station. Ha! What convenience!) Also, I suppose a person COULD plan ahead and order one on-line at the ORCA card web site and already have it when he gets to town. 3) Although the fee is currently being waived during the introductory period, by the time RailFanLNK arrives, there will be a one-time fee of $5.00 to get an ORCA, and if someone is only coming to town for a weekend, that might be amortized over only a few rides, which offends my frugal sensibilities.
You can buy ORCA from the Ticket Vending Machines (TVM) at all of the light rail stops. That's where I brought mine. And once can easily add to the epurse at those same TVM's, although I will admit that it took me a minute to figure out where to put the card to reload the epurse. I was looking for a slot to slide the card into, much like a bank ATM or the NY Metrocard TVM's. Instead it's an external holder that you just place the card into.

And while they are waving the $5.00 charge for the card right now, I seem to recall reading that one must use the card at least once within 3 months of issue. If you fail to do so, then I believe that they will charge you the $3.00 or maybe your card is just invalidated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back