Good tidings at the Staunton Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's nice. We had a trip planned for the fall to take the Cardinal to Staunton then rent a car and drive to the Cass RR in WV then return back to Staunton, Cardinal to CHI and LSL home. We ended up instead planning a trip to the UK and Ireland in late summer but I still plan to do this WV trip someday, maybe if and when the current turmoil in Amtrak travel is resolved.

That's nice. We had a trip planned for the fall to take the Cardinal to Staunton then rent a car and drive to the Cass RR in WV then return back to Staunton, Cardinal to CHI and LSL home. We ended up instead planning a trip to the UK and Ireland in late summer but I still plan to do this WV trip someday, maybe if and when the current turmoil in Amtrak travel is resolved.

Sounds like a fun trip. I wasn't familiar with the Cass Scenic Railroad. I looked it up in a booklet I have, entitled "TRAINS- Tourist Trains Guidebook". I think you can get a copy from Amazon, as I don't know if it is still purchasable from TRAINS magazine. The entry for the Cass Scenic says it's the closet thing you'll ever come to a mountain logging train, as it once was.

There is another WV train I would like to take, someday. The "Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad" and a ride on the "Durbin Rocket". Durbin is about 19 miles north of Cass. The Durbin & Greenbrier excursion was featured in one of the episodes of the PBS series, "Train Journeys Around North America".

https://is.gd/v34Qx3

Last edited:
A third very nice tourist excursion railroad in WV is the Potomac Eagle in Romney (in the far western panhandle, just south of Cumberland MD). The trip runs along the South Branch Potomac River through a narrow valley between two mountain known locally as The Notch. There are many bald eagle nests in the Notch and eagle airings are common. The train features an open air gondola car available during the trip. Meal service and bag lunches are available, but we chose just the coach class. There is a snack bar available.

Back