Got a favorite detour you wished you had ridden?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lake Shore Limited/Capitol Limited Michigan detour. Living in Michigan where no LD trains usually run, it would be an interesting trip to ride one on the Michigan Line. The detour from Toledo to Dearborn would also be interesting. I was actually on a westbound LSL that did the Michigan detour, but got off to take the bus in Toledo before it detoured

Not a detour per se, but I always wished that train service(a la the former North Coast Hiawatha) still ran through the towns along I-94 and I-90 in North Dakota and Montana. Such as Bismarck, Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, etc. Supposedly when I did research on bus service, that there is some sort of bus you could take south from Whitefish to Missoula(think it's ran by Jefferson Lines), but not sure how that bus service is like. And of course when I look at the route using google satellite map imagery and also google street view, sometimes I wonder what the alternate route the Empire Builder used to use between Fargo and St. Paul was like. Via Breckenridge, Morris, and Willmar in Minnesota.

Also, I've sometimes wondered about that southern Wyoming detour(and I think former Amtrak Pioneer route), that California Zephyr trains are thrown onto if they can't run on the existing route through Colorado and Utah east of Salt Lake. I'll guess there probably are youtube videos out there of people riding a CZ when it was detoured into Wyoming, that I should do a search for sometime.

Lake Shore Limited/Capitol Limited Michigan detour. Living in Michigan where no LD trains usually run, it would be an interesting trip to ride one on the Michigan Line. The detour from Toledo to Dearborn would also be interesting. I was actually on a westbound LSL that did the Michigan detour, but got off to take the bus in Toledo before it detoured

I do wonder why some sort of permanent Amtrak train service, can't be created between Dearborn and Toledo on that route. I thought I once heard supposedly some at Michigan Department of Transporation, have quietly hoped that Amtrak would reroute one of the 2 long distance trains going through Indiana into Michigan(think they were hoping Lake Shore would get rerouted to MI). Didn't one of the regional Michigan trains, used to run on that line between Dearborn and Toledo?

Back