Got my Select Packet today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
Looks almost the exact same as last year's packet with the same styling to the card.

The main difference I notice is that you now get one additional class upgrade coupon (3 instead of 2) but this coupon is in the place of the magazine subscription coupon that few actually used for its intended purpose.

So yay to upgrade and nay to 2500 bonus points. I'm sure some will have preferred the points, and I'm probably among them.

Looks almost the exact same as last year's packet with the same styling to the card.
The main difference I notice is that you now get one additional class upgrade coupon (3 instead of 2) but this coupon is in the place of the magazine subscription coupon that few actually used for its intended purpose.

So yay to upgrade and nay to 2500 bonus points. I'm sure some will have preferred the points, and I'm probably among them.
I may fall into the "wow, nifty! I like this, at least for this year" camp, since I wound up not getting to use my 2008 upgrades due to unfortunate blackout dates. I was counting on getting (only) two upgrades for 2009, so I'll think of having a bonus third as sort of like "oh, one of my 2008 upgrades didn't expire!" :)

Yeah, I was assuming I'd get the 2,500 points too, but I'll probably make use of the upgrade sooner than I'll cash in a reward, and I've already got enough points for two two-zone awards sitting in my account so the 2,500 wouldn't have been the difference between not enough and enough for a trip, at least not right now.

Of course, I'm still waiting on my packet!... but since you just got yours today, that gives me another sign that it's still not so late that I should call AGR to ask about it yet.

I guess using Wayman math, the upgrade coupon is potentially worth more:

Upgrade Coupon used on Acela BC BOS-WAS ticket gives you about $105 worth of upgrade while scoring you 250 additional RAIL AGR points as well.

The 2500 points from the Magazine Subscription offer could be purchased on Buy Points for $67.50 during promotional no-fee periods.

Still, given the choice, I'd probably opt for the flexibility of the points. Unless you ride between the select City Pairs on Acela, the point advantage is lost, and unless you ride full length of the NEC on Acela or nearly so, the cost advantage of the upgrade is diminished.

Aside from a few trains like the Carolinian, there isn't a tremendous advantage to me of BC upgrades, and even the Carolinian's is a mere $30 or so for the full trip.

Now, I do wish that you could have the option of taking all three of your upgrade coupons and pursing them together for a 2-day out roomette upgrade on one segment. Now THAT would be a nice upgrade option.

Upgrade Coupon used on Acela BC BOS-WAS ticket gives you about $105 worth of upgrade while scoring you 250 additional RAIL AGR points as well.
Still, given the choice, I'd probably opt for the flexibility of the points. Unless you ride between the select City Pairs on Acela, the point advantage is lost, and unless you ride full length of the NEC on Acela or nearly so, the cost advantage of the upgrade is diminished.
Living in Philadelphia, I get just about the maximum possible value out of the upgrade coupons: PHL-BOS is a five-hour Acela ride and a 500 (FC 750)-point city-pair with two FC meals served and a lounge at both ends; the upgrade cost is about $100, nearly the same as WAS-BOS. But yeah, there are extremely few hometowns from which it's easy to get that much out of an upgrade; and I'm guessing at least 50% of Select members will never even have a chance to use a coupon on Acela. As such, it's a funny reward to give everyone who makes Select since its value can vary so widely member to member.

Now, I do wish that you could have the option of taking all three of your upgrade coupons and pursing them together for a 2-day out roomette upgrade on one segment. Now THAT would be a nice upgrade option.
That would be pretty awesome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question - how does one use select upgrade passes if they do not depart from a staffed station? Do you simply buy a coach ticket and present that, along with the pass, to the conductor, once on board?

Living in Philadelphia, I get just about the maximum possible value out of the upgrade coupons: PHL-BOS is a five-hour Acela ride and a 500 (FC 750)-point city-pair with two FC meals served and a lounge at both ends; the upgrade cost is about $100, nearly the same as WAS-BOS. But yeah, there are extremely few hometowns from which it's easy to get that much out of an upgrade; and I'm guessing at least 50% of Select members will never even have a chance to use a coupon on Acela. As such, it's a funny reward to give everyone who makes Select since its value can vary so widely member to member.
Well you need to remember that AGR really was designed to go along with Acela and the frequent business traveler. As happens sometimes with Amtrak, the rest of the country was really an afterthought. In fact, it wasn't until the 100 point minimum rule came along that most people living outside the NEC could even rack up enough points to reach Select status.

I have a question - how does one use select upgrade passes if they do not depart from a staffed station? Do you simply buy a coach ticket and present that, along with the pass, to the conductor, once on board?
One doesn't, unfortunately. It can only be done at a staffed station. The conductor to my knowledge cannot process the upgrade onboard. Certainly they can't do it on Acela, not that it departs from any unstaffed stations. But I have seen people not understand how it works and show up at the FC car with a BC ticket and a coupon, and in all cases they were shown the way to the BC cars.

Back