GPS app for cross country trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DawnL

I'm going across the country on the Cardinal and the Southwest Chief. What's a good Android app to track my progress, even when offline?

I'm going across the country on the Cardinal and the Southwest Chief. What's a good Android app to track my progress, even when offline?
I don't use my phone (Android) for tracking my train's progress but rather a handheld GPS with maps and stations preloaded. The GPS runs continously throughout the trip (24/7). The GPS does not require cell service.
The tracklog is used after the trip to look at my route and to "geo-tag" my photos with location.
I occasionally use US Topo Maps Pro and Google maps for spot-checking my progress in addition to the GPS.

Just your plain, old, ordinary Google Maps. You can download maps onto your device ahead of time for when you're offline. Look for 'Offline Maps" on your account screen.

The size of each map is limited, so you'll have to download them in sections following your route. When I did a coast-to-coast a few years ago, I think it took about a dozen downloads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back