Grade crossing incident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Yesterday's NB Silver Star (P092-28) hit a car on the south side of Orlando between Kissimmee Holdout and the South End Double Track. 91 hit a car several days earlier near Hamlet, derailing the fron truck of the Amtrak 138 (which oddly enough lead the hospital train from the 91 derailment to SFA), it will be repaired in Sanford. It seems to me like the Star is ready to have May done.

Viewliner said:
Are the damaged viewliners still in Sanford?
I saw them when I arrived in Sanford on 53, they were sitting on a parallel track to the AT. When I returned home on 52 they were gone or at least moved out of sight.

However engine #199 was still in Sanford both times, sitting behind the auto ramps. While I couldn't see the front end damage from the terminal, I did get a couple of pics of the rear half of the engine. One can still see the blackened area caused by the smoke from the fire in the truck.

Amtrak dose not need anymore of this stuff!!!!! :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_<

Unfortunetly, Amtrak, nor anyone else, has control over idiot drivers who take the chance of trying to out run crossings. Though it is unfortunate, I think Amtrak is now better prepared to handle equipment situations than it was a year ago. For instance, the Capitol Limited derailment last summer invloved 8 Superliners (3 Coaches, 1 Lounge, 1 Diner, 2 Sleepers, and a Dorm). Since then 1 Coach, 1 Lounge, 4 Sleepers, and a Dorm (all Superliner) have been repaired by BG. Though 7 cars and not 8 and not the exact cars involved in that derailment, repairs are being made. B)

amtrakadirondack said:
Amtrak dose not need anymore of this stuff!!!!! :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_<
I agree. An eastbound Amtrak California Capitol Corridor Train (in Northern California) was the victim of a Cadillac stopped on the tracks on Saturday. The elderly people in the car were reportedly taking pictures of the Carquinez I-80 motorway bridge when the railroad gates came down and lights and beels flashed and banged for over 30 seconds before they and their car were crushed.

I guess they were shocked and never thought that a train might actually use the tracks that they perceived was a good picture spot.

:rolleyes:

jccollins said:
I agree.  An eastbound Amtrak California Capitol Corridor Train (in Northern California) was the victim of a Cadillac stopped on the tracks on Saturday.  The elderly people in the car were reportedly taking pictures of the Carquinez I-80 motorway bridge when the railroad gates came down and lights and beels flashed and banged for over 30 seconds before they and their car were crushed.  
I guess they were shocked and never thought that a train might actually use the tracks that they perceived was a good picture spot.  

What's with these people! Taking pictures on a RR crossing?!?!?!?!?! How dumb can people be! The RR companies need to put up giant signs saying:

Look! A Railroad! Don't Park Here! Moving Trains! Move As Quick As Possible Over The Tracks!

Frankly they should get hit! But I don’t want people that work or ride that rails have to pay for an idiot’s mistake. There should just be a big catapult that fires any cars into orbit that are on the rails when a train is coming, that will make a point to people! <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry:

That incident even made the news up here in Sachole, sometimes I seriously wonder what (or if) people are thinking when they do something that dumb...Hello Darwin...

amtrakadirondack said:
jccollins said:
I agree.  An eastbound Amtrak California Capitol Corridor Train (in Northern California) was the victim of a Cadillac stopped on the tracks on Saturday.  The elderly people in the car were reportedly taking pictures of the Carquinez I-80 motorway bridge when the railroad gates came down and lights and beels flashed and banged for over 30 seconds before they and their car were crushed.  

What's with these people! Taking pictures on a RR crossing?!?!?!?!?! How dumb can people be! The RR companies need to put up giant signs saying:

Look! A Railroad! Don't Park Here! Moving Trains! Move As Quick As Possible Over The Tracks!

Frankly they should get hit! But I don’t want people that work or ride that rails have to pay for an idiot’s mistake. There should just be a big catapult that fires any cars into orbit that are on the rails when a train is coming, that will make a point to people! <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry: <_< :angry:
I second that! :) :D :lol: :lol: :D :) B)

There was an incident last week involving an UP freight ramming a pickup truck in the Columbia River Gorge near Cascade Locks. The trucker survived but his passenger died. I guess he didn't see the train. There was a stop sign. Don't people bother to stop, look, and listen at crossings anymore? The engineer was blowing his horn. I don't understand how people can't see and/or hear trains--the bright ditchlights, the whistles, the roar of the locomotives...

I also notice: even where there are signs specifically stating "Do not stop on tracks" people still do. When will people wise up. TV stations are no better. They don't bother to give people helpful hints about safely crossing railroad tracks.

As I said before, a catapult should those idiots into space! :blink: :blink: :blink: <_< <_< <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back