Grand Canyon Railway runs steam engines again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgstubbs1

OBS Chief
I rode this back in the seventies...lots of fun for kids.

"The Grand Canyon Railway has announced its steam engine will pull trains at 9:30 a.m. on the first Saturday of the month from March through October 2022, as well as on February 21 (President’s Day), April 22 (Earth Day), and September 17 (the anniversary of the Grand Canyon Railway).

The trains will leave the train depot in Williams, Arizona, and arrive at the Grand Canyon train depot on the park’s South Rim. Later in the day, the trains will make the reverse trip back to Williams."

https://www.travelawaits.com/2725473/grand-canyon-steam-engine-train-trips/

In the '80s, after the GCR had stopped running and then was revived, they had a steam engine every day if I remember correctly. We had a steam engine in both directions during March of that first re-start year and that was a couple of days apart.

I have been on GCR Steam runs which goes just a little ways from Williams and then returns. Those runs do not go all the way to the Grand Canyon.

That is not to say that that those are the only steam runs. There are other steam runs that go all the way I am told.

Our trip to the GC on Sept. 18 2021 was supposed to be steam powered and we left under steam but there was a problem with the engine shortly after starting out and we had to return to Williams and have a pair of Diesels substituted which delayed our departure about an hour. It was my impression they were running steam once a month.

I have been on GCR Steam runs which goes just a little ways from Williams and then returns. Those runs do not go all the way to the Grand Canyon.

That is not to say that that those are the only steam runs. There are other steam runs that go all the way I am told.

I believe what you are referring to was the short-lived "Cataract Creek Rambler" I think that only ran for a couple of seasons after Xantera took over.

I'm surprised they didn't continue to operate it, since a short train ride might be more appealing for parents with young children vs. an all-day adventure to the Canyon.

Back