Grand Canyon WMH overnight??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, looking at booking Chicago to Grand Canyon. It shows it stops at WMH( which appears to be near a holiday inn??) at around 910:15pm. The next leg of trip to the GC railway doesn't come until 9:30am the following morning.
2 questions.... Am i supposed to book my own hotel room for the night? Next, the next day it shows something leaving at 9:30am. cant tell if its a van or another train to the GC railway.

Has anyone made this journey before and can give me some insight to what the heck i'm supposed to do. Amtrak rep didn't seem to know SMH

WMH is the Amtrak code for the Holiday Inn Express at Williams, AZ. The Southwest Chief doesn’t stop at Williams, so they’ll bus you from Flagstaff (where it arrives at 8.30 pm the day after leaving Chicago).
WMA is the Grand Canyon Railway’s station in Williams. Departure for the south rim is 9.30 am.

ok so i definitely need to get a hotel then. i assume with the station name, the holiday inn is close??
The Holiday Inn isn’t a station as such. I’m guessing Amtrak’s shuttle from Flagstaff drops off at various hotels in Williams (not that Williams is huge). I would check with Amtrak.
Williams no longer has a main line station. The Santa Fe diverted its main line over a new cut-off to Crookton in 1960 from Williams Junction, but that station itself closed a few years ago, though the line is of course still open.

Last edited:
The Holiday Inn isn’t a station as such. I’m guessing Amtrak’s shuttle from Flagstaff drops off at various hotels in Williams (not that Williams is huge). I would check with Amtrak.
Williams no longer has a main line station. The Santa Fe diverted its main line over a new cut-off to Crookton in 1960 from Williams Junction, but that station itself closed a few years ago, though the line is of course still open.
Santa Fe tore down the WIlliams Junction station building in the early 70s, after the Phoenix and Grand Canyon trains were discontinued in 1969. What the Williams Junction "station" was when Grand Canyon Railway discontinued its connecting bus and Amtrak ceased stopping there was as asphalt slab in the middle of a forest on a dirt road.

Santa Fe tore down the WIlliams Junction station building in the early 70s, after the Phoenix and Grand Canyon trains were discontinued in 1969. What the Williams Junction "station" was when Grand Canyon Railway discontinued its connecting bus and Amtrak ceased stopping there was as asphalt slab in the middle of a forest on a dirt road.
Yes, I was assuming it wasn’t on the scale of Grand Central. Does the line from Williams to Phoenix via Ash Fork still exist?

It was one of the modern style small AT&SF stations that were built in the late 50s and early 60s, similar to the Pomona, CA and Galesburg, IL stations. It opened when the Crookton Cutoff did.

But it was a small, comfortable, modern station, not a patch of asphalt.

The Peavine to Phoenix is an active BNSF line.

If you are arriving in Flagstaff, AZ there is a Residence Inn about 2 blocks from the station and an easy walk. There are also many restaurants in that area.
But the original poster needs to get to Williams by 9.30 the next morning, so staying in Flagstaff seems pointless, especially as Amtrak will provide the transfer to Williams. Putting a Chicago to Grand Canyon Village trip into the Amtrak app for a random date produces the following:

2.50 p.m. d. Chicago Union (on Train 3)
8.32 p.m. (next day) a. Flagstaff
8.40 p.m. d. Flagstaff (van 8953)**
9.10 p.m. a. Williams

** clearly the timing here is nominal (it will connect with the train) and the expression “van” probably covers anything from a bus to a taxi, depending on numbers. Whatever, it will be a 30-mile run on I-40, so presumably bearable.

Next morning...
Self-transfer (aka “walk” - even has a code 6353) to Williams Station
9.30 a.m. d. Williams on the Grand Canyon Railway.

Hope this helps the OP.

That helps. i just need to find a hotel for the night i suppose. So the trip actually includes the GC railway to the actual GC??
Sorry, i'm asking so many questions. If Amtrak knew these answers, i'd ask them since i'm paying so much for the train!!

So technically, i could get off in flagstaff, and just uber in the AM to catch the Williams train in the am
Thanks everybody :)

Last edited:
That Amtrak 7904 is an Amtrak codeshare for GCRy.

It makes no sense not to take the Amtrak shuttle to Williams. Williams small, the tourist area is small and centered around the GCRy. It makes zero sense to pay for a 33 mile uber ride when you have the shuttle at nominal cost. Technically, yeah, you could, although there is a chance that not taking the shuttle would cancel the rest of the itinerary, including GCRy, if it were all on etickets issued by Amtrak. But why would you?

You have to layover overnight anyway, and you are responsible for your own hotel. Do it in Williams and you are ready to go in the morning.

I am assuming your proposed trip is CHI-FLG, FLG-WMH, self transfer, WMA-GCN. I use the station codes for precision. That is the GCRy to the South Rim.

Amtrak reps often know little to nothing about the conditions in the field, especially on long distance services. All they see and know is a codeshare entry that goes to the South Rim. They wouldn't tend to know whether it is train, bus, ferry or ox cart. They might make the assumption it is a bus, since most are. It isn't, 7904 is a train.

Last edited:
That helps. i just need to find a hotel for the night i suppose. So the trip actually includes the GC railway to the actual GC??

So technically, i could get off in flagstaff, and just uber in the AM to catch the Williams train in the am

The GC railway from Williams is run as a heritage line, not by Amtrak, but it looks as if you’re being offered through ticketing by Amtrak. If the GCR isn’t your bag, you could forget Williams completely, just book to Flagstaff and do the canyon from there (shuttle bus or even hire a car?). Or as you suggest.

My daughter said Williams was fine. Others say it’s where you get your kitsch on Route 66. YMMV.

That Amtrak 7904 is an Amtrak codeshare for GCRy.

It makes no sense not to take the Amtrak shuttle to Williams. Williams small, the tourist area is small and centered around the GCRy. It makes zero sense to pay for a 33 mile uber ride when you have the shuttle at nominal cost. Technically, yeah, you could, although there is a chance that not taking the shuttle would cancel the rest of the, including GCRy, if it were all on etickets. But why would you?

I am assuming your trip is CHI-FLG, FLG-WMH, self transfer, WMA-GCN. I use the station codes for precision. That is the GCRy to the South Rim

ok yes you are correct! ok now that i know exactly what it entails, i will make my hotel reservation at the GC Railway hotel the night before. Thanks so much

I've stayed at the GCRy hotel and it is okay, but tends to be expensive for what it is (and is not the heritage Harvey House, if that is what you're into). You may get more for your money at one of the other hotels that are within walking distance.

I loved taking Amtrak right to Williams and staying at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel for a few nights. I’m sad that’s no longer an option.

I highly reccomend the Grand Canyon Railway and the hotel. You can also stay overnight at one of the lodges at the Grand Canyon and use the train to get there and back.

My Trip Report really doesn’t help with your question, but might be of interest. You might consider adding a day to your trip. Spend a night at Flagstaff and enjoy that interesting city the next morning (and recover from you SWC trip) then head over to Williams. A rental car is easy to get and gives you a lot of flexibility. Have dinner in Williams with your trip to the canyon the next morning. And if at all possible take another day at the canyon. It’s magnificent. A few hours between train arrival and departure isn’t enough even if it lets you check it off your bucket list.

To the poster--I have found the most help for our upcoming trip to Flagstaff was by using Yelp and Google to set the Amtrak Station as the base starting point. Then check hotels close to it, checking where they are and what others say about it by clicking on your choice and reading the reviews. Some are good/bad, reasonable or pricey. From reading things here and other say sites you might not be able to count on getting into Flagstaff on time, but it might.
Also check the reviews for a taxi and the Uber service in Flag. They very from good to bad as well.
Then I go to the hotels site online and book directly with by calling them after I see if they have the price I want and any amenities apply that I want. Don't forget to tell them if you are a senior if you are for a discount.
A little research will make a nights stay more enjoyable and less stressful. Have a wonderful trip.

I’m staying at a wonderful Airbnb that is only a block from the Grand Canyon Railway station. It’s only $60/night and has a (free) washer/dryer.

I’m not sure of your trip date or their availability. I’ll send you the link in a private message so you can check it out.

I am hesitant to offer advice, I do seem to be out of date rather frequently!

Please double check, but my understanding is that one has to book the Grand Canyon Railway train itself quite seperatly from the Amtrak part of the trip?

So you would get off the Amtrak at Flagstaff, bus/van provided to get you to Williams. You need to book a hotel for the night in Williams, and then next day you board the train up to the grand canyon, provided you have a ticket for that portion!

Don't take my information as true, but at least do check that your ride from Williams up to the Canyon itself is included!

I’m staying at a wonderful Airbnb that is only a block from the Grand Canyon Railway station. It’s only $60/night and has a (free) washer/dryer.

I’m not sure of your trip date or their availability. I’ll send you the link in a private message so you can check it out.

Is your AirBnB up at the Canyon, or is it near the station in Williams?

Oops. I should have clarified. It’s in Williams.

I think the confusion for the O/P is that the station in Williams is known as the Grand Canyon Train Station, but it is not near the Grand Canyon!

I hope you are enjoying your tour of the area, I loved the "Vermillion Cliffs" to the north of the canyon.

I am hesitant to offer advice, I do seem to be out of date rather frequently!

Please double check, but my understanding is that one has to book the Grand Canyon Railway train itself quite seperatly from the Amtrak part of the trip?

Don't take my information as true, but at least do check that your ride from Williams up to the Canyon itself is included!
Amtrak issues GCRy tickets as codeshares.

However, apparently only for GCRy coach. If you want a better class of service, such as the dome, you need to book directly with GCRy.

Back