Great American Train Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak has done a good job of recognizing their historic train stations in their Great American Train Stations program. I was in the Richmond area this weekend and had a chance to revisit one of my favorites, the Main Street station. Eventually this will serve all trains that pass through Richmond except AutoTrain. The old train shed has been repurposed as an event center (with some of the original track creatively displayed), downstairs is a Virginia welcome center, and the waiting room has been wonderfully restored to its former glory, with some historic photos on the walls. I took 65 from Ashland to the station on my way to a flight home.

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

XMIDE6597.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

95D1C73C-F1BD-4B54-8512-48BDCCEB0C80.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

Amtrak has done a good job of recognizing their historic train stations in their Great American Train Stations program. I was in the Richmond area this weekend and had a chance to revisit one of my favorites, the Main Street station. Eventually this will serve all trains that pass through Richmond except AutoTrain. The old train shed has been repurposed as an event center (with some of the original track creatively displayed), downstairs is a Virginia welcome center, and the waiting room has been wonderfully restored to its former glory, with some historic photos on the walls. I took 65 from Ashland to the station on my way to a flight home.

View attachment 31248

View attachment 31250

View attachment 31251

View attachment 31252

View attachment 31254

View attachment 31255

View attachment 31257

View attachment 31258

View attachment 31259

RVM is slated to become a four platform track station, two on each side of the main shed. The tracks farthest from the main shed will be served by new side platforms. Through trains to the south and trains originating/terminating at RVM will platform on the tracks on the west side and trains to Newport News will platform on the east side. Or so says the DC2RVA EIS.

Incidentally RVR will also become a much larger station with a two story new head house replacing the standard issue Amtrak structure that is there. It will also get a two island platforms serving three through passenger tracks on the east side of the main line, connected to the head house by a fully ADA compliant foot over bridge across the main tracks. Not clear who will continue to use the current platforms for what.

Through trains to the south and trains originating/terminating at RVM will platform on the tracks on the west side and trains to Newport News will platform on the east side. Or so says the DC2RVA EIS.
That certainly makes sense. If you look at the old station photo, tracks to the left (east) curve to the C&O/CSX line along the river and Newport News, as did 65. There is still the track structure for 2 tracks, not sure how they add another outside platform given that it’s all elevated. Right side (wast) is same with formerly 2 tracks (Seaboard/CSX) now just one to industry on the south side of the river.

Last edited:
This is the image they posted of the NHT station. I feel it does a bit of a disservice to have NHT on the list. DE18F27A-E2B7-4CA8-B37F-697D4929B3CE.pnghttps://www.greatamericanstations.com/stations/northampton-ma-nht/
The disservice starts with the image itself. It’s of the modern platform built in about 2017 taken from the eastern side that is generally not available to the public as it looks like it was taken in a disused rail line with the down slope of the grade separation that divides Northampton. I believe that the photo was taken about here. E8E03647-A4CF-41B4-BA23-9CB767FFD05C.jpeg
You can see a modern fence at the bottom and the two active tracks. A third was present though likely removed in the 1980s it’s presence is well know to anyone in the area as the bridge that eats trucks used to carry it over Bridge st and many unwary semi driver have become its meal due to a low hight and misleading GPS navigation system leading then into the 1890s era grade separation.

This is an image I have of a vintage postcard of the NHT Union station taken sometime likely in the very Early 20th century from the south western side. E7E14211-18A2-4E48-A4D4-F332540CBECE.jpeg
The rails seen in the photo are old Boston and Main line that today is a rail trail. The street visible is strong ave and cropped out is a hotel. 4BF8CCAD-2DDF-49AE-ABED-850A086B3F10.jpeg
Much of the old platform was removed what remained was enclosed into a sports bar and restaurant complex that operates the station as a banquet hall and martini bar. the visible rail line became the rail trail after the last run of the Montrealer in 1987. The modern Amtrak like runs on the then dilapidated today refurbished Connecticut river line on the eastern side.
Blocked from view is the old hotel by a mixed use two level residential commercial building.
This is the modern platform from the accessible western side. 8886B128-F09C-4DB8-8C3C-00CFDDA3EF0D.jpeg
The modern Platform is all of the modern NHT in regards to actual Amtrak service. This is just a platform for boarding Amtrak services. It looks like it was taken in the warmer months. The first third of the platform and handicapped ramp were built circa 2016 later once it was deemed suitable for more permanent service the remaining 2/3 were built. 3 south bound Springfield trains connecting to New Haven and NYC the Vermonter and two Valley Flyer as well as 3 North bound greenfield trains serve the platform again Valley Flyer and the Vermonter.

I feel it’s a bit of a shame the old girl isn’t used as she was intended… still at least she’s still standing. 71A985BD-538B-4067-A5CC-7BDE30884D85.jpeg
The Roosevelt room main entrance the northern side of the building still reminds us of her true colors. Also visible is the cabana bar.

Attachments

• 1C102D6F-C781-4F94-BEE9-560EB711B2A1.png
    1C102D6F-C781-4F94-BEE9-560EB711B2A1.png
    411.8 KB · Views: 0
This is the image they posted of the NHT station. I feel it does a bit of a disservice to have NHT on the list.
Gotta agree with you. A new platform doesn’t seem to qualify as a GATS. But glad to see the original structure is still standing even if not for its intended purpose.

I’m not familiar with Northampton. If a part of the original station could be made available for Amtrak, is it possible to easily access the new platform from it?

The Amtrak platform is on the property I am not sure of the Agreement between Amtrak and Notch 8 (The owners of the station). I do know that the parking lot is owned by the station and it’s used by both Amtrak and customers of the bar as well as a number of neighborhood businesses. The photo of the entrance was taken from the platform its a hop skip and a jump away pretty literally. That’s why the cabana bar is in easy view. The old platform that were used for the Connecticut River line back in the day today still exist as a low level cement walkway along the active line. A number of barriers have been added over the years for safety but there are openings along it. The Platform bar has a set of door that allow access but only for maintenance . The fence visible in the photo of the main entrance also runs along that line.
I have seen people new to the area or out of towners try and use the station. Even as I went to get a meal a displeased woman with a roll on bag walked out.
Which is why I feel it’s a bit of a disservice. When people use Amtrak from this and presumably other stations like this they get the impression that it’s an active Amtrak station and not just a platform. Though the staff at the restaurant are very kind and friendly offering excellent service they are not a train station. No ticketing automated or manned is available, cabs are call service, Amtrak personnel are rare and even the trash pickup I think could be increased to better meet demand.
Still I love these old stations and next time I am in another one I intend to get some shots and post.

Back