Great Dome 2018 Schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ocean View moved from Maine to Albany-Rensselaer solo behind P42 120 on Monday. It appears an attempt will be made to address the broken window while it is shopped for scheduled preventative maintenance.
So KnightRail, you've confirmed that Ocean View has a broken window?

Ocean View moved from Maine to Albany-Rensselaer solo behind P42 120 on Monday. It appears an attempt will be made to address the broken window while it is shopped for scheduled preventative maintenance.
So KnightRail, you've confirmed that Ocean View has a broken window?
There is doubt as to if a window is actually broken at this point???
The only thing I could find was that one Facebook post, so I wasn't totally convinced that this was confirmed as true. Thanks though.

I can confirm the damage report, as I was on the train when it happened. Photos attached.

On 2018 SEP 22, train 690 (southbound) apparently struck a tree limb between Durham and Exeter.

I boarded in Dover, and saw "Ocean View" from the outside with no evidence of damage. I went to the meal car first to get breakfast. Went I got back and up into the dome, there was a big hole in the window.

It only broke the outer window, not the inner, so the passenger compartment was not directly compromised. There were bits of tree bark in between the two panes of glass (photo 3).

I don't think the train crew even knew it happened until we got to North Station. We were also on the 691 heading north, and they had the dome car closed and locked. Wouldn't let anyone in. But they didn't kick us out on the way down.

They stopped the 691 for a good 10 to 20 minutes between Exeter and Durham. The conductor said it was to allow a work crew to finish clearing the low-hanging limb. That's why I say that's where the strike must have been

We also took the 698 south from Portland, and they had already sidetracked "Ocean View" at that station. Was around 7:00 PM. I don't know what might have happened to it between then. It may have made the rest of the trip north to Brunswick before coming back, or maybe they separated it there and then. A station employee felt it necessary to eject me from their back lot (near the track, good photo spot), so I didn't get a chance to see.

1window.jpg

2hole.jpg

3debris.jpg

4BON.jpg

Great shots, thanks for posting....

and Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!
default_smile.png

That spot in the front of the dome is my absolute favorite place to ride.

Hopefully when (?) it gets fixed, they don't restrict people from sitting near the front window.

I will note that the front windows were absolutely filthy when I rode, and the P42 is too tall to let you see almost anything ahead on the northbound run. So of course it's better than nothing to have that view, but I honestly enjoyed looking out the sides way more than looking ahead or behind. JMO.

The metal plate is probably a good temporary fix. You do not realize how hard it is to find non standard glass to fit openings. Adding to that is that the glass will need to meet FRA 223? specifications. Glass will have to be special ordered in that case and may take a couple weeks.i

Thanks KnightRail! Confirmed: https://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Dome-car-returns-to-Adirondack-13267369.php

A fair use quote:

Amtrak's "great dome" car, damaged by a low-hanging tree last week in Maine, has been repaired and will operate on the Adirondack rail line between Albany and Montreal beginning Saturday.

Amtrak's last remaining dome car, it will operate northbound from Albany on Saturdays, Mondays and Thursdays, and southbound on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays, through Nov. 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back