Great Dome back in Midwest!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
The Great Dome returns to the Midwest (it's new home??)... making trips on the Missouri River Runner per the Missouri Dept of Transportation:

April 5 - Train 311 - St. Louis to Kansas City - one way

April 6 - Unavailable

April 7 - Train 314 - returning on Train 313 - KC to STL to KC

April 8 - Train 314 - returning on Train 313 - KC to STL to KC

April 9 - Train 314 - returning on Train 313 - KC to STL to KC

April 10 - Train 314 - Kansas City to St. Louis - one way

April 11 - Train 311 - returning on Train 316 - STL to KC to STL

April 12 - Train 311 - St. Louis to Kansas City - one way

Unfortunately, esp with the train starting in KCY so many days, I dont think I will be able to swing a trip this time around on it. Does anyone know where it will be going after the runs between KCY and STL?? :) I am hoping they will run it on the Hiawatha between Chicago and Milwaukee... I believe it's the only state-supported service in the Midwest not to see the Dome yet!! Dont forget about us. I am off April 13 and 14 and hoping it will run somewhere else.

Wouldn't you know it, I'm taking the MORR on the 16th, so I won't be able to catch a ride with it! But, I should be back in St Louis on the 11th, in time to catch it either that night or the next morning, passing through.

Thanks for the heads up!

Wouldn't you know it, I'm taking the MORR on the 16th, so I won't be able to catch a ride with it! But, I should be back in St Louis on the 11th, in time to catch it either that night or the next morning, passing through.

Thanks for the heads up!
Drat. Wish we had known about this earlier. There's no way we can get up to Sedalia this week to see or ride it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where it will be going after the runs between KCY and STL?? :) I am hoping they will run it on the Hiawatha between Chicago and Milwaukee... I believe it's the only state-supported service in the Midwest not to see the Dome yet!! Dont forget about us. I am off April 13 and 14 and hoping it will run somewhere else.
I stopped by the Kirkwood MO station on Thursday morning and caught some pictures of it. You can look at them here if interested: Great Dome pics

One of the conductors thought that it was headed to Callifornia, and thought it was headed that way Thursday...

How's the scenery on the MRR?
I've always thought the stretch between Jefferson City and Washington, where the route runs along the Missouri River, is rather attractive.
Well, I guess the MRR is one of those underdog routes as far as scenery. The Great Dome should entice more people to enjoy this route if it is as good as you say.

It looks like the metal plate is still in place instead of the forward looking window.

Word on the street was that was going to be fixed last fall, after the dome finished its runs on the Card, I guess that didn't happen.

It's nice that they have the dome out working the system, but it'd be really nice if they could get a piece of glass back in there.

One of the conductors thought that it was headed to Callifornia, and thought it was headed that way Thursday...
Looks like that's what happened. The Great Dome was the last car on the westbound Southwest Chief in New Mexico yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLpX7NXsrM4&feature=plcp&context=C4cdf503VDvjVQa1PpcFPWtkvN2RT6GqMPhXaLyFEHVHufBU_H49c%3D
Great video!

Just got off of the SWC yesterday, The Great Dome sure would have made a fantastic trip even more fantastic.

Does anyone know why they used a BNSF engine?

How's the scenery on the MRR?
I've always thought the stretch between Jefferson City and Washington, where the route runs along the Missouri River, is rather attractive.
Well, I guess the MRR is one of those underdog routes as far as scenery. The Great Dome should entice more people to enjoy this route if it is as good as you say.
Absolutely. That section is the highlight of the trip, plus it lasts for over an hour. The rest of the time you get to run through the hills of eastern Missouri and the small towns of western Missouri. It's really fantastic, and gives you a cross-section of our fair state.

I remember riding in the Planetarium Chair Car on the Missouri River Eagle in the 1960s between St. Louis and Omaha and vv which included the current Missouri River Runner Route. Planetarium Chair Car was MoPac's name for the Dome Coaches which ran on the Missouri River, Colorado and Texas Eagles. It was a great view from St. Louis to Kansas City and then up through Leavenworth and Nebraska City. My brother and I didn't want to leave the Dome even for lunch in the Dining Car, but we were made to go to lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back