Great video showing 1960's overhead electrification work in the U.K.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Just found this very detailed and interesting film of work being carried out to electrify the busiest UK main line.
I found the working practices to be surprisingly lax from a health and safety aspect. In my mind H&S was much more advanced at that time, funny how the memory plays tricks on one!

Video here.

But still no Picc-Vic Tunnel? 😁

I wonder if there is a similar video of the electrification of my line from the 20's?

Back in those days, most UK "nationalised" or public owned entities had their own in house film units. Quality public information films were produced by bodies such as Post Office, British rail, London Transport, etc. An interesting archive recording just how much times have changed since then...

The two Manchester stations are now connected by tram, etc. :)

Back in those days, most UK "nationalised" or public owned entities had their own in house film units. Quality public information films were produced by bodies such as Post Office, British rail, London Transport, etc. An interesting archive recording just how much times have changed since then...

The two Manchester stations are now connected by tram, etc. :)
Yeah, my father lived in Britain when the Labour Government took power right after the war. Interesting stories from that era (he started University at Edinburgh with a program for veteran refugees, which he was).

Back