Greenwood, MS (GWD) Accessbility & Amenity Improvements

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
I've been pessimistic and sad about the current and future states of Amtrak & public transit in general in the US, so when I came across this small bit of good news, I thought I'd share!

Accessibility and waiting room improvements have been completed at Greenwood, Mississippi (GWD), including a higher platform, renovated waiting room w/ bathroom, water fountains, and benches.

Some excerpts:
GREENWOOD, Miss. – Amtrak customers in this northern Mississippi city now have a smoother, brighter and more accessible journey with the famous Amtrak City of New Orleans train. A $5.4 million project is now complete and local leaders joined with Amtrak officials to cut the ribbon this week.

To date Amtrak has completed 168 ADA station related projects as part of the ADA Stations Program with 20 stations brought into ADA compliance last fiscal year for $85 million. Another 41 stations are targeted for completion this fiscal year at a forecasted investment of $125 million. Our program is advancing 120 station designs and 40 station construction projects as part of Amtrak’s ongoing commitment to providing accessibility for all of our customers.

In Greenwood, a new platform of concrete that correctly matches the train height, a renovated waiting room with restroom, drinking fountains and new bench seating are among the improvements. Also included are two ramped connections from the parking lot with two accessible parking spaces. These ramps assist all travelers with wheeled luggage or strollers, in addition to those passengers who use mobility devices.

Amtrak coordinated with the City of Greenwood in a redesign of the sidewalk along Carrollton Ave. to create a better pedestrian connection to the historic station.

Back