Greetings from Bonnie Scotland...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi Folks,
Trying to keep up momentum with a few mini adventures away from home, I decided to visit Scotland by train.
Day one, last Tuesday, 8th June I travelled from Nottingham up to Glasgow. There are a few different route options to reach Glasgow from Nottingham, and I chose to go via Crewe, changing trains there onto an Avanti West Coast mainline train to Glasgow. I bought a "split ticket" for this journey, so on paper I was ticketed from Crewe to Carlisle, and from Carlisle to Glasgow, but it was all on the one train, no need to change between Crewe and Glasgow. Saved a few £ by doing this!
IMG_20210608_123045.jpg
Old fashioned "Bottle Kiln" beside the tracks as we passed Stoke on Trent, area known as "The Potteries"

IMG_20210608_134942.jpg
Avanti.

Crewe was a major rail hub, back in the day, but the station buildings lack the beauty of some grand older stations.
The Avanti service was not over busy, so social distancing was easy enough, as it was also on my first train from Nottingham to Crewe.
The Avainti service arrives at Glasgow Central, quite an impressive station.

IMG_20210610_163430.jpg
Glasgow Central.

My hotel for the night was located nearer to Glasgow Queen Street station. Normally, there is a free bus service between the two stations, but it was not running at this time, due to covid.
I walked it in about 15 minutes, so no problem.
Day 2, next morning I walked to the Queen Street station, and boarded the Scotrail train to Mallaig where I was spending that night. The trip up from Glasgow to Mallaig is very scenic, and shows a variety of scenery, many lochs, misty mountains, valleys, moors, and ending at the fishing port of Mallaig.

IMG_20210609_122100.jpg
Scotrail interior, with Scottish upholstry.

I was surprised at how busy this train was as I waited to board at Queen Street. Fortunately, the train is split en-route at Crianlarich station and most passengers were boarded in the section of the train heading to Oban.
The scenery is pretty amazing, and I was able to tick "Corrour" station off my bucket list. It is said to be the highest mainline station in the UK, situated in the middle of nowhere, on Rannoch Moor. I believe the local Laird insisted on a station there to facilitate bringing his guests to the estate for hunting and fishing parties, back in the day!

IMG_20210610_122934.jpg

One interesting feature of the line itself is the viaduct at xxx built by Robert McAlpine's builders. The viaduct is constructed of concrete. McAlpine was known as "contrete Bob" for his frequent use of the material.

IMG_20210610_110513.jpg

Many twists and turns of the track mean that the rails themeselves are not the "long welded rail" that is used on most of the network, but shorter jointed rail, so one is treated to the "clickety-clack" sounds of the old rail type. Very noticable and loud when passing along the single line between close granite rocks.!

IMG_20210610_122239 (2).jpg

Mallaig is quite small, and is both a fishing port, and an outdoor walking location. The rail line was built to carry the prodigious quantaties of fish landed at the port, back in the day. Over fishing and road transport means that it no longer carries any fish traffic. Several outdoor types with rucksacks and walking boots seen from the comfort of my hotel window... ;)

IMG_20210609_205721.jpg

Day 3 was a long day, heading back to Nottingham in one go. The journey back from Mallaig to Glasgow took about 5 hours, then my Avanti train from Glasgow Central was delayed by a passengers medical issue, so I missed my
connection to the Nottingham train at Crewe. I was directed to another train and had to return via Tamworth. Getting home about 1am, I was pleased to see my bed!

Some passengers did not wear masks, or wore them incorrectly. Not all medical issues are visible of course, but I doubt the majority of fit looking non users had a valid excuse. It was the folk who just wore them over mouths, or chins, that annoy me most!

Attachments

• IMG_20210609_205559.jpg
    IMG_20210609_205559.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi Folks,
Trying to keep up momentum with a few mini adventures away from home, I decided to visit Scotland by train.
Day one, last Tuesday, 8th June I travelled from Nottingham up to Glasgow. There are a few different route options to reach Glasgow from Nottingham, and I chose to go via Crewe, changing trains there onto an Avanti West Coast mainline train to Glasgow. I bought a "split ticket" for this journey, so on paper I was ticketed from Crewe to Carlisle, and from Carlisle to Glasgow, but it was all on the one train, no need to change between Crewe and Glasgow. Saved a few £ by doing this!
View attachment 22938
Old fashioned "Bottle Kiln" beside the tracks as we passed Stoke on Trent, area known as "The Potteries"

View attachment 22939
Avanti.

Crewe was a major rail hub, back in the day, but the station buildings lack the beauty of some grand older stations.
The Avanti service was not over busy, so social distancing was easy enough, as it was also on my first train from Nottingham to Crewe.
The Avainti service arrives at Glasgow Central, quite an impressive station.

View attachment 22940
Glasgow Central.

My hotel for the night was located nearer to Glasgow Queen Street station. Normally, there is a free bus service between the two stations, but it was not running at this time, due to covid.
I walked it in about 15 minutes, so no problem.
Day 2, next morning I walked to the Queen Street station, and boarded the Scotrail train to Mallaig where I was spending that night. The trip up from Glasgow to Mallaig is very scenic, and shows a variety of scenery, many lochs, misty mountains, valleys, moors, and ending at the fishing port of Mallaig.

View attachment 22941
Scotrail interior, with Scottish upholstry.

I was surprised at how busy this train was as I waited to board at Queen Street. Fortunately, the train is split en-route at Crianlarich station and most passengers were boarded in the section of the train heading to Oban.
The scenery is pretty amazing, and I was able to tick "Corrour" station off my bucket list. It is said to be the highest mainline station in the UK, situated in the middle of nowhere, on Rannoch Moor. I believe the local Laird insisted on a station there to facilitate bringing his guests to the estate for hunting and fishing parties, back in the day!

View attachment 22942

One interesting feature of the line itself is the viaduct at xxx built by Robert McAlpine's builders. The viaduct is constructed of concrete. McAlpine was known as "contrete Bob" for his frequent use of the material.

View attachment 22943

Many twists and turns of the track mean that the rails themeselves are not the "long welded rail" that is used on most of the network, but shorter jointed rail, so one is treated to the "clickety-clack" sounds of the old rail type. Very noticable and loud when passing along the single line between close granite rocks.!

View attachment 22946

Mallaig is quite small, and is both a fishing port, and an outdoor walking location. The rail line was built to carry the prodigious quantaties of fish landed at the port, back in the day. Over fishing and road transport means that it no longer carries any fish traffic. Several outdoor types with rucksacks and walking boots seen from the comfort of my hotel window... ;)

View attachment 22945

Day 3 was a long day, heading back to Nottingham in one go. The journey back from Mallaig to Glasgow took about 5 hours, then my Avanti train from Glasgow Central was delayed by a passengers medical issue, so I missed my
connection to the Nottingham train at Crewe. I was directed to another train and had to return via Tamworth. Getting home about 1am, I was pleased to see my bed!

Some passengers did not wear masks, or wore them incorrectly. Not all medical issues are visible of course, but I doubt the majority of fit looking non users had a valid excuse. It was the folk who just wore them over mouths, or chins, that annoy me most!
Nice trip Eddie! I was just reading a Travel book last night written by one of your homeboys that had 49 Train journeys from all over the world, including some of the Trains you rode on this getaway.

When some friends and I visited Scotland in 2014, we did a round-trip on the steam-hauled tourist train (the Jacobite) over that route to Mallaig. Looks like you had slightly better weather than we did -- we had pretty steady rain and fog, enough that we didn't get much of a view going over the viaduct, in either direction.

Was that Glenfinnan Viaduct? Well known to Harry Potter fans.

Yep, thats the one.

When some friends and I visited Scotland in 2014, we did a round-trip on the steam-hauled tourist train (the Jacobite) over that route to Mallaig. Looks like you had slightly better weather than we did -- we had pretty steady rain and fog, enough that we didn't get much of a view going over the viaduct, in either direction.

I saw a steam engine hauled train both at Fort William and also next day en-route back from Mallaig, but sadly was too slow to grab a photo. It looked a popular attraction, the coaches rather full of happy passengers. I had a non train visit to Loch Lomond a few years ago, and that was sunny and bright, but as you note, this visit was a bit "traditional Highlands weather". :D

As luck would have it, I have traveled both the West Highland Line and the Highland Line in Scotland. Indeed I have ridden every line except the one to Thurso and Wick out of Inverness. But none on the Jacobite, though I saw the Jacobite when I went to Mallaig and Fort William. Having a cousin who lives in Edinburgh, who I visit every so often made it all possible.

Looks like during the morning beverage service, I saw what looked like an opened tea bag package. I didn't think they used tea bags in Britain. :) Even in first class. Even in Britain... Alas, O tempora, O mores!
Indeed, tea bag use is by far the main way we brew tea these days. Loose tea is still sold, but I can't remember when I last had a cup of non tea bag tea. Biodegradable tea bags are the latest thing. A good idea, but seem much more liable to break open when stirring.

Wait. You mean tea leaves don't grow inside paper tea bags? Then where do the tea bags come from?
My parents never got past the babies and storks story...
🤣

Looks like during the morning beverage service, I saw what looked like an opened tea bag package. I didn't think they used tea bags in Britain. :) Even in first class. Even in Britain... Alas, O tempora, O mores!

What a beautiful trip! You've brought up old memories for me...

I took the West Highland Line in 1971. The train was led by a diesel engine, and the cars were possibly the ones used for the Jacobite now, but that was pre-pre-refurbishment. They were extremely shabby. Leaving Glasgow, I took my seat in a six-person compartment. I was eventually joined by a flashily-dressed young man who introduced himself as Archie McCuaig, a member of the Hong Kong Football Club. He entertained me till he disembarked at Helensburgh, only about an hour later. After that, I relaxed alone in the decayed splendor that was Britrail in the early 1970s.

I remember changing trains in Fort William, but that could be inaccurate. Does anyone else remember ever having to do that? Or perhaps I disembarked in order to stay there overnight. Next day, I continued to Glenfinnan, where I'd seen on a poster there was to be a highland games. I got off at the station, and walked down the hill (seemed like it was quite a walk). You could see the viaduct from the field where the games were held. I love this photo of the old guys trooping out with their flags and dogs, especially the rapt look on the face of the girl sitting on the ground.
1971highlandgames.jpg

Ed, I just love your stories of all the places you go, from Scotland to India. I hope you keep it up for many more years!

What a beautiful trip! You've brought up old memories for me...

I remember changing trains in Fort William, but that could be inaccurate.
View attachment 22973

Ed, I just love your stories of all the places you go, from Scotland to India. I hope you keep it up for many more years!
At first I thought that photo was the fans arriving for tonight’s game against England. 🙂

It is quite possible you had to change at Fort William in 1971, although at least some trains have always run through from Glasgow (and, of course, London in the case of the sleeper - a state of affairs which persists to this day). Fort William is a terminus - all through trains to/from Mallaig have to reverse.

Here I am at Fort William in front of the Jacobite locomotive right before we rode behind it to Mallaig and back -- date of the photo is September 25, 2014.

mcMCCi8.jpg

Here I am at Fort William in front of the Jacobite locomotive right before we rode behind it to Mallaig and back -- date of the photo is September 25, 2014.

mcMCCi8.jpg
Yes, that’s LNER Class K1 2-6-0 - though actually built post-nationalisation - and is the usual motive power for the daily Fort William-Mallaig return run. There is no turntable at Mallaig, so the return run is tender-first.

Nice photo trainman! Folk might be interested to know that the position of the two lamps, painted white, denotes the class of the train. As shown, these denote a class one express. The only other train with that lamp arrangement would be a breakdown train on the way to an accident. There were 9 classes of train, but I don't remember them all. Class 9 was the lowest priority, a "loose coupled" train pulling freight waggons which were not fitted with any brakes.

One British oddity that has fascinated me is the traditional lack of headlights.

Incidentally Amtrak's NEC has five classes of trains with no visible physical indicator. However they identify themselves electronically as such and the entire ACSES Positive Train Control system determines how the train will be handled under all circumstances based on that one piece of information associated with the trains, as does the centralized dispatch, traffic, and electrification control system (CETC).

Last edited:
On British oddity that has fascinated me is the traditional lack of headlights.

Incidentally Amtrak's NEC has five classes of trains with no visible physical indicator. However they identify themselves electronically as such and the entire ACSES Positive Train Control system determines how the train will be handled under all circumstances based on that one piece of information associated with the trains, as does the centralized dispatch system (CETC).
In the UK headlights of any description are a relatively recent phenomenon, though modern stock has quite powerful ones. I have often wondered whether- from the night-vision driving perspective - they make things better or worse. There is no doubt that the more recent large-head LED signals are a huge improvement on traditional colour-lights.
As to reporting, modern British use is similar to Amtrak’s - electronic reporting having replaced the traditional headcodes. The format - NLNN - is unchanged.

Having worked for B.R. on diesel locomotive back in the 1970's it was far easier not to be distracted when in a darker area than in one with a degree of illumination. As experienced train driving crew, we knew where to look for the next signal light almost automatically, so any nearby lights of any colour did not help. Quite something to be barrelling along blind at 80mph in thick fog, relying on the AWS to notify signal status ahead!

Back