Greyhound Canada to cease operations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish someone would prove that it's wrong. In the 1975 study we looked back to the beginning of intercity bus service in Oregon, even a bit into the stagecoaches that preceded them. A lot of the bus routes were set up by the railways to replace money-losing branch and local main line trains.

We hypothesized as to what caused the one-generation phenomenon but never formalized it because of a change in administration. When I lived in Alberta I began to see the same thing. Then I moved to Colorado and it was like going to a movie that I had seen before. (The reason for the timing is that Oregon was ahead on its paved highway program and then its interstate highway construction, so it developed the consequent problems sooner.)

There is an urban transit parallel, although colored by more intense politics. It was rarer in Canada due to so many streetcar systems already being owned by governments or electric utilities. In the U.S., however, the interval between the end of streetcar service and the collapse of the replacement privately-owned bus company was about a generation.

There are long-term ironies in this story. Trudeau pere was in charge for the 1977-1981 rail cutback. Trudeau fils is in charge now. And I can't recall a train-off case where the availability of competing bus service wasn't cited as a justification.
I know this is a bit late, but is there anywhere I could find a PDF of the study? I would be very interested in reading it if I could and have had trouble finding anything related to it on my own.

I know this is a bit late, but is there anywhere I could find a PDF of the study? I would be very interested in reading it if I could and have had trouble finding anything related to it on my own.
I have an extra copy of the many-page report and I was wondering what to do with it. If you want to send me a postal address I'll mail it to you. That would be easier than pulling it apart to scan it. If you don't want to use Amtrak Unlimited's correspondence feature you could send me a note in the Comments feature of my Wordpress website and I'll intercept it in the spam checking: www.berlin1969.com .

I have an extra copy of the many-page report and I was wondering what to do with it. If you want to send me a postal address I'll mail it to you. That would be easier than pulling it apart to scan it. If you don't want to use Amtrak Unlimited's correspondence feature you could send me a note in the Comments feature of my Wordpress website and I'll intercept it in the spam checking: www.berlin1969.com .
But, um, I kind of want a copy too. Sttom, do you think if you get it you can scan it?

If I do yes. I was planning on doing that if I had the honor of caring for the report. I feel like it's the least I could do.
In the meantime another party offered to scan it. I'll put a notice here when it is ready. It includes timetables for all the significant routes in Oregon, with Greyhound and Trailways schedules merged.

Back