Greyhound changes + end of interlining/new Indian Trails service in MI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently, Greyhound has shifted away from its own longtime reservation system to one similar to that used by Flixbus. In the process, it seems that at least some interlining agreements with other carriers have ended, including the one with Indian Trails in Michigan. When I’ve used their website I’ve definitely seen a lot less available routings, which leads me to believe a lot of carriers are cutting their interlining agreements with Greyhound.

In response, Indian Trails is starting its own Detroit-Chicago service, and plans to offer interlining with other non-Greyhound carriers (including Adirondack Trailways, which is launching Detroit-Toronto service, competing with Flixbus’s own soon-to-launch Detroit-Toronto service). This does mean that my hometown Ann Arbor is getting mainline Indian Trails service for the first time, offering better intrastate connections.

Interested to see where this goes - right now I’m having trouble booking anything on Indian Trails website (it won’t allow Ann Arbor as a starting point), though they seem to have acknowledged on their website that there are some growing pains with the new system.

link

Yes, I’ve read about that on another forum.
I can see IT running their own direct route Detroit<>Chicago service, but it baffles me why Adirondack (or its sibling, NY Trailways) would expand with a Detroit<>Toronto…🤷‍♂️

They have put BOI<>SLC back into their system. When they farmed out that segment of the DEN<>SLC<>BOI<>PDX route to Salt Lake Express it was not showing up. Also, Burlington Trailways and Express Arrow are in.

Greyhound Lines and Flixbus are united in one reservation system since Feb. 22nd. And it includes connections in cities where they are co-located. Where they are in different locations, they aren't showing connections, so it's spotty.

Interesting. Indian Trails’s statement made it sound like most or all carriers had terminated interline agreements with Greyhound - while some have, there are still interline connections (and it seems some added/readded ones).

In Michigan losing Indian Trails severely limits Greyhound’s reach - as of now it seems Chicago-Detroit is the only route Greyhound or Flixbus operates itself (Detroit-Toronto is coming via Flixbus, and with that moving to Detroit’s Greyhound station I am seeing connections offered). There is some interline service in Michigan, but nothing in Grand Rapids or northern Michigan. Weirdly, interline service with Amtrak seems to be the only thing they offer in Lansing/East Lansing.

Though Indian Trails is replacing the Greyhound Detroit-Chicago service with their own, and interlining with other non-Greyhound carriers (including the upcoming Adirondack Trailways Detroit-Toronto service). Their system doesn’t seem to be working quite right to book a trip with the new schedules yet, as I’ve been getting a lot of weird itineraries like the Chicago-Grand Rapids option being multiple days via Des Moines (and yes this is Grand Rapids, MI). Though they have a message on their website to call if you’re having trouble booking a trip, so they seem aware there are issues. Perhaps it will improve come March 1 when the new schedules officially start…
They have put BOI<>SLC back into their system. When they farmed out that segment of the DEN<>SLC<>BOI<>PDX route to Salt Lake Express it was not showing up. Also, Burlington Trailways and Express Arrow are in.

Greyhound Lines and Flixbus are united in one reservation system since Feb. 22nd. And it includes connections in cities where they are co-located. Where they are in different locations, they aren't showing connections, so it's spotty.

I've heard that they are now offering seat selection, and assigning them if you don't pay to select your own. They are limiting luggage to one bag without additional charges, and banning carry-ons not in a proper suitcase (like a plastic grocery bag.)

Flix saying no more trash bags as luggage.

I understand many Greyhound riders have limited means, however I don't think the bus needs to look like a rolling homeless camp either.

Interesting. Indian Trails’s statement made it sound like most or all carriers had terminated interline agreements with Greyhound - while some have, there are still interline connections (and it seems some added/readded ones).

In Michigan losing Indian Trails severely limits Greyhound’s reach - as of now it seems Chicago-Detroit is the only route Greyhound or Flixbus operates itself (Detroit-Toronto is coming via Flixbus, and with that moving to Detroit’s Greyhound station I am seeing connections offered). There is some interline service in Michigan, but nothing in Grand Rapids or northern Michigan. Weirdly, interline service with Amtrak seems to be the only thing they offer in Lansing/East Lansing.

Though Indian Trails is replacing the Greyhound Detroit-Chicago service with their own, and interlining with other non-Greyhound carriers (including the upcoming Adirondack Trailways Detroit-Toronto service). Their system doesn’t seem to be working quite right to book a trip with the new schedules yet, as I’ve been getting a lot of weird itineraries like the Chicago-Grand Rapids option being multiple days via Des Moines (and yes this is Grand Rapids, MI). Though they have a message on their website to call if you’re having trouble booking a trip, so they seem aware there are issues. Perhaps it will improve come March 1 when the new schedules officially start…
The DEN>PDX itinerary offered on line has reverted to the Express Arrow > Jefferson Lines > Greyhound > Greyhound four bus trip. I rode that and it's beautiful, but Greyhound is being too generous. Their three-bus itinerary Greyhound>Salt Lake Express>Greyhound is still feasible, but is not showing up on line. Running times are almost identical.

Back