H Rooms available to passengers with no disability?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seaboard92: I commented in this forum back in November about my love of H room in the Viewliner I--your post advised that the toilet in the Viewliner II H room is no longer enclosed but in the middle of the room and not nearly as desirable to a non-ADA passenger. I am riding the Crescent mostly these days and have yet to physically see a Viewliner II. Is there actually a photo somewhere of the Viewliner II H room. I have a concept in my mind as to what it might look like as the space is at the end of the car and probably similar in configuration--except the toilet. Just curious.
The toilet in the room was not that big of a deal for me. It's actually in the corner away from the bed, not in the middle. But the hallway window is right above it; male passengers will want to make sure that the curtain is closed before seeking relief.

The sink was more of a nuisance. It's right next to your head if you're sleeping in the default position, plus I splashed water all over that end of the bed when washing my face.

The other disadvantage is that hall window is not lined up with the seat as it is in the VL I, so you can't see out the other side of the train from the seat.

The toilet in the room was not that big of a deal for me. It's actually in the corner away from the bed, not in the middle. But the hallway window is right above it; male passengers will want to make sure that the curtain is closed before seeking relief.

The sink was more of a nuisance. It's right next to your head if you're sleeping in the default position, plus I splashed water all over that end of the bed when washing my face.

The other disadvantage is that hall window is not lined up with the seat as it is in the VL I, so you can't see out the other side of the train from the seat.
joelkfla: When I got home from work tonight, I had a chance to read your reply (for which I thank you) and to review the site to which jis pointed me for viewing real photos of the Viewliner II H room. I guess I was shocked and very, very unhappy to clearly understand the layout.
I repeat, I clearly understand the room is designed--as it should be--for ADA passengers. Having said that, it is strongly my opinion that it is almost like riding in the bathroom the whole trip. When the Crescent will have Viewliner II's is probably anyone's guess. I would likely NOT want that space on my frequent trips ATN-WAS or ATN-NYP. Again, just my opinion from a minority passenger segment.

Thanks you very much, jis, for the prompt response. I guess I may very well be one of the few railfans who will prefer the Viewliner I . Clearly I may need the need the "toilet in room" config at a point in my life (I am 74 years)--but now, as a non-ADA passenger--it is clearly not the desirable space. Thanks again!
Add me to that list. I suspect that there are many more of us than is usually assumed.

Last edited:
While checking the status of our 3/19 trip on the star, I found that the only "seating" now is 4 "H" rooms (AKA Accessible Bedroom)...no seats in coach, no roomettes, and no bedrooms were listed.
I thought the "H" rooms were the only rooms without bunk beds. Seems like these new V-2 "H" rooms have bunk beds, sink and toilet, but no shower. The price for 2 (Phila to Ft.L) is $1,823. one-way.

While checking the status of our 3/19 trip on the star, I found that the only "seating" now is 4 "H" rooms (AKA Accessible Bedroom)...no seats in coach, no roomettes, and no bedrooms were listed.
I thought the "H" rooms were the only rooms without bunk beds. Seems like these new V-2 "H" rooms have bunk beds, sink and toilet, but no shower. The price for 2 (Phila to Ft.L) is $1,823. one-way.
VL II H-rooms do have a shower, which unlike the standard bedrooms does not contain the toilet.

Considering that Amtrak website just offered to sell me a Superliner Roomette on the LSL, I would not trust anything on the Amtrak website any further than I can throw a Superliner car. ;)

In any case first hand experience always trumps whatever Amtrak puts on the website as far as facilities in cars go, correct or otherwise.

I like the new design. The old design (with the toilet in the alcove where the shower is now) had my wheelchair always in the way of the doors. Also, it is an advantage to those of us who need the ADA features that everyone else dislikes this design and maybe doesn't reserve it fraudulently.

Doesn't Amtrak screen people boarding trains who reserve the handicapped room fraudulently?

Doesn't Amtrak screen people boarding trains who reserve the handicapped room fraudulently?
No, you just have to check the box when you reserve. There are so many illegal and/or offensive ways to ask "Are you disabled?" that most businesses avoid the question entirely and rely on people being honest.

Also, it is an advantage to those of us who need the ADA features that everyone else dislikes this design and maybe doesn't reserve it fraudulently.
Alice, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the comments. The H room was built for those who need it, especially for those in wheelchairs. I'm glad they made it easier for you to use. :)

The old design was preferable for those needing a wheelchair access and actually desiring and expecting the level of privacy taken for granted by those using the conventional rooms with toilets. I have experience with all current types before Amtrak's completely discriminatory covid policies excluded those who were disabled from accessing Amtrak services at all, and prefer the private accessibility.

My late husband and I traveled on the Crescent in the H room quite a few times. He had a transport chair (small wheelchair) but could stand for short periods of time. He never had any problem with the VL 1 H room and toilet, but I realize his disability wasn't as severe as many. The H room in the VL 1 was definitely the best room on the train, imo, whether you needed the accessible features or not.

I hope we get reports from those needing the accessible room on the VL 2 to see how it works for them. If it makes it easier on those for whom it was intended, I'm all for that!

If it were available, I might still find it preferable to a roomette. I could ignore the covered toilet in the corner, I think. Too bad you can't view the other side of the train from the hall window, though.

Back