Handling of misconnect from Sunset Limited to Texas Eagle at San Antonio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billosborn

Train Attendant
I am booked on the Sunset Limited in a sleep on 422 in September, because I am traveling further north to McGregor Tx.

I was tracking the status of #2, and the 6/22 departure arrived a few hours late in San Antonio on 6/24, which is not surprising. At that point, the normal practice is to attach the coaches/sleeper from 422 on to the departing #22

. But Amtrak showed that the Texas Eagle #22 departed San Antonio before the Sunset Limited arrived. And when I further researched the 422 on Amtrak.com, it showed it arriving/departing all the stops of the #2, which you would expect since it's attached in the rear, but then itm, u "disappears" after Alpine Texas. The status for 422 in Del Rio and San Antonio shows "unavailable'.

Can anyone research and find out what happened? It seems unlikely that two coaches and a sleeper car of passengers from 422 would get stranded somewhere because the #22 departed San Antonio without them...

Amtrak showed that the Texas Eagle #22 departed San Antonio before the Sunset Limited arrived. And when I further researched the 422 on Amtrak.com, it showed it arriving/departing all the stops of the #2, which you would expect since it's attached in the rear, but then itm, u "disappears" after Alpine Texas.
Sounds like the Marfa Lights trapped another train in the ethereal plane again.

I am booked on the Sunset Limited in a sleep on 422 in September, because I am traveling further north to McGregor Tx.

I was tracking the status of #2, and the 6/22 departure arrived a few hours late in San Antonio on 6/24, which is not surprising. At that point, the normal practice is to attach the coaches/sleeper from 422 on to the departing #22

. But Amtrak showed that the Texas Eagle #22 departed San Antonio before the Sunset Limited arrived. And when I further researched the 422 on Amtrak.com, it showed it arriving/departing all the stops of the #2, which you would expect since it's attached in the rear, but then itm, u "disappears" after Alpine Texas. The status for 422 in Del Rio and San Antonio shows "unavailable'.

Can anyone research and find out what happened? It seems unlikely that two coaches and a sleeper car of passengers from 422 would get stranded somewhere because the #22 departed San Antonio without them...
There is a "Protect" Sleeper and Coach kept @ the San Antonio Depot, and since the Eagle ( #22/422)is currently running with only 1 Sleeper, so even if the Sunset Ltd misses connections in SA, these Cars can be utilized on the #22/#422 to Chicago.

In such cases as this in the past,thru Eagle Passengers for stops North of San Antinio have been bused to San Antonio or even to Ft Worth to connect with #22.

In one case I know off, thru Passengers for Ft Worth to Chicago were flown to DFW from El Paso and caught the Eagle there.

I can find no info on the Internet as to what exactly was done in this case.

Last edited:
Good to know that they have a Protect sleeper and Coach. I was suspecting they might have bussed passengers to the already departed #22. But the fact that no Station info was available for stations after Alpine (Del Rio, and San Antonio), makes me think that they might have bussed the passengers ahead to San Antonio in time to catch the departing #22. Would be interesting to find what actually happened.

There is a "Protect" Sleeper and Coach kept @ the San Antonio Depot, and since the Eagle ( #22/422)is currently running with only 1 Sleeper, so even if the Sunset Ltd misses connections in SA, these Cars can be utilized on the #22/#422 to Chicago.

In such cases as this in the past,thru Eagle Passengers for stops North of San Antinio have been bused to San Antonio or even to Ft Worth to connect with #22.

In one case I know off, thru Passengers for Ft Worth to Chicago were flown to DFW from El Paso and caught the Eagle there.

Probably back when SWA was actually cheap to fly and had actual empty seats on a flight, now, not so much.

It is also very common for them to run two busses. One bus takes the through passengers all the way to Longview and the second will do the local drop-offs.

There is a "Protect" Sleeper and Coach kept @ the San Antonio Depot
&
Good to know that they have a Protect sleeper and Coach.
Unfortunately this seems to be less common under Gardner. I'm unsure if that's because the rolling stock is unavailable or is just more often in use but either way it's not as dependable as it was before.

Probably back when SWA was actually cheap to fly and had actual empty seats on a flight, now, not so much.
Much of the disruption Southwest Airlines brought to the market was in the form of close-in and walkup fares whereas conventional APEX fares were often as cheap or even cheaper on legacy airlines.

For what it’s worth I was on train 422 on 6/22 in the end car(#2230), a sleeper, getting off at Tucson which arrived an hour late. Harold was my SCA.

My very first Amtrak adventure was interrupted by the Eastbound Sunset not connecting with the Texas Eagle. Back in 2004, we were put on a bus to catch up and connect, I think in Dallas?
I remember being astonished that a bus was faster than a train in America. (I soon got used to that concept...) :D
Probably in Ft Worth Eddie. That's the usual catch up Spot for the Eagles and also it has the Longest Station Dwell Time South of St Louis.

Well, it happened again today 6/28, 2 arrived 40 minutes after 22 departed. That’s twice in a row that they haven’t held 22 for the 422 cars.
Let me see if I understand all of this correctly. If I am a passenger on the thru sleeper on 422 TE say LAX - CHI and 422 arrives SAS after the departure time of 22 (and 22 actually has departed without my sleeper) I may be bused to some location to catch up with train 422 SOMEWHERE? What if a railfan like me is just "going for a train ride" (which I frequently do) and finds being bused to anywhere distasteful?--I think I know the answer: I am SOL. It never occurred to me until this minute that Amtrak would not protect the 422 cars from LAX by holding 422 at SAS. But, Amtrak IS "inconsistent".

Let me see if I understand all of this correctly. If I am a passenger on the thru sleeper on 422 TE say LAX - CHI and 422 arrives SAS after the departure time of 22 (and 22 actually has departed without my sleeper) I may be bused to some location to catch up with train 422 SOMEWHERE? What if a railfan like me is just "going for a train ride" (which I frequently do) and finds being bused to anywhere distasteful?--I think I know the answer: I am SOL. It never occurred to me until this minute that Amtrak would not protect the 422 cars from LAX by holding 422 at SAS. But, Amtrak IS "inconsistent".
Yep, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Some days they hold 22, I‘ve even seen upwards of 2 hours, and some days they grab the extra sleeper and coach and go. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason between the two, unless it’s just bus availability. If you do miss, yes the choices are a bus to catch up in FTW, DAL, or LVW, overnight for the next train (provided it has space), or you‘re just SOL.

Yep, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Some days they hold 22, I‘ve even seen upwards of 2 hours, and some days they grab the extra sleeper and coach and go. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason between the two, unless it’s just bus availability. If you do miss, yes the choices are a bus to catch up in FTW, DAL, or LVW, overnight for the next train (provided it has space), or you‘re just SOL.
Thanks F900ElCapitan for the post. Does this ever happen on the south and west bound 421 TE @ SAS? I think I remember the connection or dwell time is very long? I have always wanted to ride the TE CHI to LAX 3 night sleeper without change but, now living on the east coast, have yet to do so and, due to the anomaly discussed here will think twice about it. Almost as good as the 4-night sleeper with out change trip I made twice in the mid 1970's LAX to NYP. Sunset carried the sleeper LAX- NOL; then overnight in NOL using sleeper as hotel; the the Crescent pulled it on to NYP. Does anyone recall or old enough to remember that service?

Thanks F900ElCapitan for the post. Does this ever happen on the south and west bound 421 TE @ SAS? I think I remember the connection or dwell time is very long? I have always wanted to ride the TE CHI to LAX 3 night sleeper without change but, now living on the east coast, have yet to do so and, due to the anomaly discussed here will think twice about it. Almost as good as the 4-night sleeper with out change trip I made twice in the mid 1970's LAX to NYP. Sunset carried the sleeper LAX- NOL; then overnight in NOL using sleeper as hotel; the the Crescent pulled it on to NYP. Does anyone recall or old enough to remember that service?

I’ll start with that I’m actually quite surprised at the last two misses for 2/422/22, it is a fairly new thing for 22 not to wait for less than an hour. As for 21/421/1, it is much more rare that they don’t make their connection, one due to the cars and two due to as you say the long layover time, especially when 21 has a significantly earlier arrival time than 1. If 21 is that late and 1 can’t be held, then busses from one of the aforementioned stops are normally used and 21 most likely is terminated and turned in FTW. It happens but pretty rare.

As for the LAX-NOL-NYC one sleeper connection, unfortunately I don’t remember hearing about that. But I was raised in the PNW and probably didn’t pay attention in the day. When was this a thing? I might have been in Texas but just more interested in my aviation career at the time. But I will say, that would have been a really fun ride!!

I’ll start with that I’m actually quite surprised at the last two misses for 2/422/22, it is a fairly new thing for 22 not to wait for less than an hour. As for 21/421/1, it is much more rare that they don’t make their connection, one due to the cars and two due to as you say the long layover time, especially when 21 has a significantly earlier arrival time than 1. If 21 is that late and 1 can’t be held, then busses from one of the aforementioned stops are normally used and 21 most likely is terminated and turned in FTW. It happens but pretty rare.

As for the LAX-NOL-NYC one sleeper connection, unfortunately I don’t remember hearing about that. But I was raised in the PNW and probably didn’t pay attention in the day. When was this a thing? I might have been in Texas but just more interested in my aviation career at the time. But I will say, that would have been a really fun ride!!
According to Fifty Years of Amtrak Trains, the transcon sleeper was running when Amtrak started up on May 1, 1971 and it ran till September 1980. It was discontinued due to the equipment incompatibility when HEP was introduced on the Crescent. The Sunset Limited still had steam heat and then had Superliners.

The Sunset Limited sleeper deletions under the SP became one of the most notorious anti-passenger controversies that led up to the creation of Amtrak. Someone knows the exact dates, but in general, their New Orleans <> Los Angeles sleeper was discontinued in 1965 or 1966. A sleeper was available El Paso <> Los Angeles from the Golden State for another year or two. As a "compromise" the Sunset was changed to tri-weekly in October 1970 and the sleeper was restored as a New York City <> Los Angeles service.

Well, it appears to have happened again. 22 departed on time (7:00am) and 2 arrived SAS at 7:36am. Not honoring this connection with dedicated cars for less than an hour is just plain stupidity. Amtrak has to do better than this!!!!
22 couldn't wait less than an hour for 422? Another example of total idiocy on Amtrak's part. When do the thru passengers told they will have to take a bus to catch up?

Well, it appears to have happened again. 22 departed on time (7:00am) and 2 arrived SAS at 7:36am. Not honoring this connection with dedicated cars for less than an hour is just plain stupidity. Amtrak has to do better than this!!!!
What happens to checked-thru baggage? Does it show up the next day, or do passengers have to lug it on the bus and re-check it on the Eagle?

It is bad enough that after paying through the nose for a through sleeper from LAX to CHI you not only get stuck on a bus but when you finally get on 22 they are probably sold out of sleepers and you probably end up in coach. ☹️
And there is no Sightseer Lounge, and most of the CCC Crews( aka Diner/Cafe) do not allow you to sit in the Car to eat or Sightsee!

You have to go back to your seat after purchasing items during the very short time the LSA opens the Cafe part of the Car to Coach Passengers.( One LSA has to serve both the Sleeping Car Flex Meals to passengers and run the Cafe in their Spare time)🤬

Back