Happy National Train Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This used to be National Train Day. Maybe it still is in some places.

I recall being on the Zephyr a few years ago on National Train Day. I think there was going to be a celebration at Denver that day but unfortunately it was timed to begin after the Zephyr departed. There was also going to be a celebration at Glenwood Springs but by the time we got there it was raining heavily. Maybe there was something going on inside the station. However later that afternoon, there was a small but enthusiastic group meeting the train at Grand Junction and that was nice.

I think a year or two before that I was in San Antonio on National Train Day and went to the station to see what was going on. There were various groups set up on the platform and tours were offered of a superliner sleeping car. The food vendor had some of the best Mexican food that I had on that trip. A day or two later, I went through Fort Worth on the Eagle and it looked like they had had a celebration there with tours of Amtrak equipment.

I suppose that with a lot of things at Amtrak, National Train Day had an aura of success and therefore it had to be discontinued.

Cincinnati Union Terminal (Museum Center) is magnificent and would be a great spot for a celebration. I attended the National Model Railroad Assoc. convention there years ago and it was excellent. The event dinner was held in the Rotunda and someone made a couple boarding announcements of trains long ago. Lots of fun. Now Amtrak just needs to adjust the Cardinal schedule so it serves that city and the KY-Ohio metro area at reasonable hours.

Back