Happy with my res

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Green Chauvanist

Service Attendant
Years ago I was "bumped" from a roomette to a bedroom on the Capitol Limited from WAS to CHI. Short as it was, I was hooked and have been saving my points to use on a two-day rail "voyage". So, having my plans finalized for this coming September, I didn't want to waste any time in reserving a two-night "stay" on the Empire Builder from CHI to SEA, knowing bedrooms tend to fill up long before the date of travel. Having no idea how many points I would need (as the days when that was all posted on the website are long over) I called the Guest Rewards number, got a great agent, and in five minutes had my bedroom booked. I had more than enough points so I am happy and the process was totally painless. Now, there just has to be daily service come September!

On the website and app you can toggle between cash and points. On the website, after you get to the page with the trains to select from, you have to click on the sort/filter drop-down, then toggle the Use Points. I think in the past it was visible on that page.

82,000. The Amtrak Guest Rewards program is the best thing going (and I was unaware that it might ditch BOA, but I guess points would be grandfathered in to any new credit card). Three or four, or five or six big ticket items (not to mention dozens of smaller purchases) can get you well along to snagging a bedroom. And it's so painless.

82,000. The Amtrak Guest Rewards program is the best thing going (and I was unaware that it might ditch BOA, but I guess points would be grandfathered in to any new credit card). Three or four, or five or six big ticket items (not to mention dozens of smaller purchases) can get you well along to snagging a bedroom. And it's so painless.
The points are recorded in the AGR program. The credit card merely reports the points earned and beyond that they have no involvement. So there is no question of grandfathering anything to any credit card. All the points that are already recorded at AGR will remain alive subject to AGR's conditions. The credit card related non-expiry of points may of course cease.

Back