Has Anyone done the NYC to CA Run?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings Hi I'm new to the group. My name is George. I just bought a cross country ticket during the 50th Sale. From NYC-Chi-Den-SFO. So How many people have done the cross county run?
thanks for info.

G

Last edited:
I think you need to be more specific. Cross country from NYC could be NYC-Chi-Den-SFO or Chi-LAX or Chicago to Seattle/Portland. Another cross country routing is NYC to NewOrleans to Los Angeles.

I’ve done LAX-Portland-Chicago-NYP.

That was back when each of those trains had complimentary wine tasting. But yes I’ve done many versions of cross country trips.

Once I went nyp-Toronto-vancouver-lax.

October 2019 we did LAX > CHI > BUF > NYP> NOL> LAX
We overnighted in Chicago and New Orleans; Buffalo was a couple of days to see Niagara Falls and New York was five days to see, well, see NYC!

Done many cross country runs from DC to Emeryville,Seattle and LA on every long distance train over the years. Every train requires a change in Chicago,except the Crescent where you change in New Orleans

I have traveled cross country from Florida several times. The latest was December 2019 (passing through Denver but not staying overnight). I was in sleepers the entire way.

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited.

I haven't done it yet, but this summer I'm taking the Cardinal and then the Chief without any night layovers.

You might refine your query a bit. There are lots of folks who post here that have done many, many cross-country trips. So, what specifically would you like to know? This forum is a friendly, helpful place, but we need to know what you would like to hear from us.

Greetings Hi I'm new to the group. My name is George. I just bought a cross country ticket during the 50th Sale. From NYC-Chi-Den-SFO. So How many people have done the cross county run?
thanks for info.

G
I
've done the NY- SF westbound 4 times, eastbound twice. Took both Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited to Chicago. Definitely prefer the LSL - one less transfer. The westbound Zephyr is utterly spectacular west of Denver. No traveling experience in my life compares to it. Only did coach once - on eastbound LSL. All the other legs were bedrooms. If you're young it doesn't much matter. Enjoy your trip and report back.

I've done SEA-CHI-BOS, then returned NYC-CHI-SEA. Did it all in coach in the summer of 2000. My back was younger then.

we have completed many cross country trips on several routes...i like to go to miami and start from there to seattle or los angeles (via nyc or washington)...we do not like to fly and after trying all accommodations, have decided that a "bed" is not worth the money to us, we like coach, but would appreciate having the dining car available (once again....) loved the rail pass!

thanks for info.

G
Hi George and welcome to the group. I hope you get an opportunity to read some of the travelogue posts. Many of us have made that journey. I am missing some of the links, but I've ALMOST made it coast to coast. Savannah to Dallas, Albuquerque to San Diego and many other routes. Everyone's experience is different, every route is unique and every crew makes a difference in one way or another.

You can certainly ask specific questions here about what to expect. Sure, a lot of your questions may have already been answered elsewhere, but it's always refreshing to get the latest opinions.

So let me start by asking you a few questions.

Are you from New York? If not, where do you call home?

Have you ever been on any long distance Amtrak ride?

Will you be travelling alone or with a partner/buddy or a group?

Are you a young 'un or life experienced?

When are you travelling (you don't have to be specific, but Summer vs Winter would be helpful)?

What is the route you've purchased?

The obligatory first advise I give anyone who contemplates such a journey is this: Be ready for any delay. Don't expect to get to your destination on time. Roll with the circumstances. Chances are you'll have a great, trouble free experience, but if you anticipate and expect a certain amount of inconvenience, being prepared is your best mitigation.

I've done NYP-CHI-LAX.

I've never used the Zephyr in conjunction with a New York trip, although I have ridden the Zephyr several times.

I've ridden both the Lakeshore and the Capitol in recent years. I rode the Cardinal, too, but it was too long ago for my experience to be relevant, it was back in the 90s, it terminated in WAS and had a Superliner consist.

So How many people have done the cross county run?

Welcome to our Forum!

My cross country itinerary differs from your planned one. Mine was from New York to New Orleans with a few days in the Big Easy. Then, the Sunset Limited to Los Angeles (should have had a couple of days there, but didn't). Then, the Southwest Chief to Chicago.

Is there a change that I would have made? Yes. A couple of days in Los Angeles, the Coast Starlight to San Francisco, if not Portland. A couple of days in Portland, then the Empire Builder to Chicago or, if from The City by the Bay, the California Zephyr to Chicago.

This forum post remined me of one of my favorite cross-country in my 70+ year of riding cross-county on the trains. It was LAX-NOL-NYP with no change of trains. Does anyone else remember this? The Sunset carried the sleeper LAX-NOL; sleeper layover in NOL overnight using the sleeper as your "hotel"; and then the Crescent carried to sleeper on to NYP. Admittedly this was back about 1974-1975-or 1976. Great trip.

The scenery will be great leaving Denver westbound and will last most of that day. Try to get a seat in the sightseer lounge car before you leave Denver. The scenery will also be great the next morning going through the Sierras. Please remember to post a report of your trip.

Back