Has anyone get check by CBP on the California Zephyr route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new here and not sure that is it right to post here

I want to take this line very much
But my friend has a document problem
So we worry about the CBP
This route , most of the line is not in the 100 miles rule,
So we hope it will be ok
If anyone get to check by CBP on this line before, please advise us
Thank you

Here's an article about the internal checkpoints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Border_Patrol_interior_checkpoints
According to the law referenced there:

"Under US law, people who enter the US without inspection (EWI) can be subjected to expedited removal if they are found within 100 miles of the border."

This suggests that either permanent or roving border checkpoints can only be conducted within 100 miles of the border. I'm not sure whether the law considers to coast to be the "border," but even if it does, most of the route of the California Zephyr is located more than 100 miles from the border. Thus, I don't think the Border Patrol does inspections on that train.

However, it's been reported here that many other local, state and Federal law enforcement agencies occasionally do searches on the California Zephyr, mostly for drugs, but also perhaps other contraband, or they're looking for a particular person. When you buy an Amtrak ticket, you agree to have ID available for inspection if requested, and I would imagine that if a cop questions a person and has "reasonable suspicion" that the person might not be documented properly, they can ask for ID or other documentation. While some law enforcement agencies don't care about a person's immigration status, other do care, so one still needs to be careful wherever one goes.

As long as you have valid ID, without admitting to racial profiling, there isn't much a local LEO could truthfully say rises to reasonable suspicion of immigration status. Of course, we know that as long as civil asset forfeiture is around, local LEO will conduct fishing expeditions.
Thank you for your reply and what is LEO?

Law Enforcement Officer.

For awhile Reno cops were notorious about questioning people on the train and asking permission to search. Don't know if they're still doing it.
Albuquerque as well on the Chief. I’ve also seen Amtrak police question and search in Chicago after boarding and before departure. Happened to me in a sleeper once on the Zephyr.

With Amtrak PD it was most likely in response to a tip or information. But local PD (notwithstanding actual tips) will generally be active in areas where it is not uncommon for drugs to be moved. Regardless of State Laws, they are illegal Federally, certainly on Amtrak, and crossing State lines. CBP only on routes which pass the border rule. They used to perform the clown show once in a while in Syracuse (just barely legal) but they were essentially run off by public officials (even Amtrak asked them to leave) since they could show 0 value in illegal immigration interdiction but were fishing for drug seizures to justify their existence as a unit.

Now that you've gone public with you plans to go on the California Zephyr with a friend with a document problem, what is there that makes you think CBP won't pay you a visit in spite of what's said here?

With Amtrak PD it was most likely in response to a tip or information.
For me they said it was “suspicious” that I was taking the train from Chicago to Salt Lake City. When I told them I was traveling for work they said “if you’re traveling for work why didn’t you fly” - with employees like these who needs enemies!? :p

Now that you've gone public with you plans to go on the California Zephyr with a friend with a document problem, what is there that makes you think CBP won't pay you a visit in spite of what's said here?
I'm not sure CBP is that organized/cares enough to have their servers search this website for keywords. Either way they didn't say where or when they're traveling. I realize those are small details easy to find with the right tools but in my book CBP takes more of a "let's board this train and harass people for little outcome" approach than a targeted operation one.

Hi @Janis. My recommendation is, unfortunately, to not take this trip with your friend. Amtrak shares their passenger lists with the Federal Government. Your friend will have to book the ticket under their real name, and it is likely law enforcement (probably ICE) will follow up at the train station. While it's somewhat unlikely you'll be stopped randomly, it is probably ICE may make an appearance in Chicago, Denver or another stop along the way to have a conversation with your friend. I would not take the chance.

Back