Has LSL #449 out of Boston turned into a bus the last couple of days?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haroldo

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I've been looking high and low (probably in all the wrong places) and can't seem to fine LSL #449 (or #448 for that matter). Is this what occurs when the service is temporarily discontinued and the passengers are put on buses?

Thanks

For what it's worth, Amtrak ran a dead head 448 to Boston this evening to become tomorrows' 449. It came through Springfield about 11:00 PM.

Funny thing, though...Trying Amtraks' web site for tomorrows 449, there's no mention of any coach seating available or sold out. Just BC and sleeper. I can understand that all coach seats could be sold out, but not even showing that? Something is screwy with their web site...as usual.

Anyone have any guesses about whether this disruption is likely to end when they say it will? I'm traveling San Diego to Boston at the end of July and if they're going to bump me out of my LSL roomette for a bus trip, I'm really not going to be happy about it. I'm immunocompromised and would definitely not want to ride in a crowded, poorly ventilated bus for several hours.

Anyone have any guesses about whether this disruption is likely to end when they say it will? I'm traveling San Diego to Boston at the end of July and if they're going to bump me out of my LSL roomette for a bus trip, I'm really not going to be happy about it. I'm immunocompromised and would definitely not want to ride in a crowded, poorly ventilated bus for several hours.
It’s track work related. Hopefully they’ll be done when they say - but what day of the week are you traveling?

CSX routinely shuts down Amtrak trains 448/449 for about a month each year. At least, that's what they've done every year for the past 10 years or so. According to the Amtrak service alerts, July 21 will be the end of it.

For the last couple of years, though, it's been MBTA doing track work between Framingham and Worcester. MBTA was busy at it about a month ago when I rode BOS-SPG on #449. What I saw looked like routine tie replacement...about every 3rd one or so, on the double track BOS-WOR segment, that they own.

So why do they cancel Amtrak when the MBTA schedule to WOR is unchanged and there is no service announcement regarding that line on their site? I'm guessing that MBTA is simply taking up where CSX left off several years ago with mostly 'ditch work' (personal observation from multiple trains back then) in screwing Amtrak every chance they get. While #449 was held for about 10 minutes due to single tracking about 5 miles east of Worcester (MBTA has a scheduled departure at that time), that's all the time we lost on that trip arriving in SPG about 10 minutes down.

What upsets me is that both CSX and NS have a habit of annual maintenance windows that shuts down the 1/day Amtrak trains but yet their own freight business is unaffected. To me, that clearly shows their anti-Amtrak bias.

I hope you will let us know how it goes. 448/449 in my experience are the least respected trains in the Amtrak system. I have had some pleasant trips on them and some not so pleasant (including a crowded and poorly run bustitution).

I hope you will let us know how it goes. 448/449 in my experience are the least respected trains in the Amtrak system. I have had some pleasant trips on them and some not so pleasant (including a crowded and poorly run bustitution).
I have to say that the Texas Eaglete, the Crescent,the Cardinal and the Cap have all moved past the Lake Shore on the Orphan Train List!

I have to say that the Texas Eaglete, the Crescent,the Cardinal and the Cap have all moved past the Lake Shore on the Orphan Train List!
Yes Amtrak mis(management) has brought us to the point where we now have to debate which is the worst train. It is a distinction that few companies can boast of. I still say 448 is the worst.

I used to think that 48/49 had the worlds' grumpiest waiters. It seemed like they were 'throwing' things on the table and simultaneously turning around to head back to the kitchen. Needless to say, they didn't get any tips to brag about from me.

Then they went to 'diner light' with the full Amfleet cafe car and nuked meals. Still acceptable food, but a far cry from what it had been. At least the 'grumpy squad' must have taken retirement.

And then came the awful 'contemporary dining' or whatever other propaganda name they wish to use. But then, all the eastern LD trans serve the same dogfood. In a bit more than 2 weeks, I'll be taking a triangle trip on the Cardinal and LSL. I'm already plotting out what to bring on board with me at WAS and CHI.

Then they went to 'diner light' with the full Amfleet cafe car and nuked meals. Still acceptable food, but a far cry from what it had been. At least the 'grumpy squad' must have taken retirement.
We actually had some very good meals on the diner lite car. It was a step down from the full dining car which could prepare steaks but we found the meals on the diner lite service to be very tasty and the French toast was excellent. Much better than the contemporary/flexible or whatever it was that replaced it.

My biggest beef when #449 goes to a bus is passengers going to Albany-Rensselaer and west from Boston go nonstop to Rensselaer and you are stuck there for 4+ hours. I miss the terminal that was in place from 1980-2002 simply because there was a dive bar across the street.

Then as far as the #49 crew is concerned you boarded in Albany - believe me getting settled at South Station makes a big difference.

Update - Got the call this morning. The Albany to Boston portion of my trip was switched to bus service. Ugh.

I ended up switching to the Capitol Limited into DC and then the Acela into Boston. I had to pay extra because no roomettes were left and I had to book a bedroom, but I'll take that over a bus any day!

Do I understand correctly that the cancelations of 448/449 have been extended for several more weeks due to the extension of the CSX track work?

448 and 449. They never cease to disappoint.

Back