Has the carryon baggage policy changed for roomettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shytown

Train Attendant
It used to be that you could bring an oversized bag or large instrument on to the CONO. But after reading Amtrak's baggage restrictions, it looks like there is now a size limit. "Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28" x 22" x 14" in size." Maybe this is the same as it's always been but I don't remember. I just need to make sure that my son can keep his cello into the roomette vs. checking it or loading it in one of the exterior lockers.

Thanks ~

It used to be that you could bring an oversized bag or large instrument on to the CONO. But after reading Amtrak's baggage restrictions, it looks like there is now a size limit. "Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28" x 22" x 14" in size." Maybe this is the same as it's always been but I don't remember. I just need to make sure that my son can keep his cello into the roomette vs. checking it or loading it in one of the exterior lockers.

Thanks ~
There's been a limit for a long time, but my experience for sleepers is still "if you can carry it without assistance, you can have it." But a cello may be a bit much.

But I do not think there is room for both the cello and your son in a roomette, although it may work if he pulls down the upper and sticks the cello in the upper. I do not think a cello would fit in the common rack downstairs, even assuming you'd want to put it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your son has a roomette on the lower level. The stairs that take you up are darn tight. You son will need to travel by himself, with the cello in the other bunk.

Cello players have all sort of fun when traveling.

My daughter plays the cello so I know the problems that come with that. Do you have a hard case for the cello of a soft case? If you have a hard case then I would place it in checked baggage.

He has a hard-sided Bam case. He's going to call Amtrak today to see if he can get answers. I can't imagine what people do who play the double bass.

Thanks for all of your answers.

He has a hard-sided Bam case. He's going to call Amtrak today to see if he can get answers. I can't imagine what people do who play the double bass.

Thanks for all of your answers.
Bassists use travel cases. From what I've seen, the best way to check it is to take it to the baggage room yourself* and ask the employee to be careful with it. A tip doesn't hurt. This doesn't guarantee a safe trip, but it's the best (and, in many cases, only) way to get your bass on the train.

You'll have to sign something that says you don't have any fragile/breakable items inside the case.

I've travelled with drums before. For those, we're talking pallets.

* You probably wouldn't have any other option, as the instrument is certainly larger than what is allowed as a checked piece, and whomever checks your bags at the counter wouldn't able to take the bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back