Have you been recognized by Amtrak staff due to frequent travel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrescent

OBS Chief
Today on the Acela Express, the very nice on-board employee came up to me when I boarded and said, “Going to ___ again, and would you like ___ to drink, served ____?”

I was really impressed because I had taken only two very short trips recently, and I didn’t think that I was memorable.

Have you been recognized before by on-board or other Amtrak personnel?

Do they get information before a trip as to who’ll be boarding, the person’s Guest Rewards status and the person’s travel history? Or did the person on the Acela just have an exceptionally good memory? Or both?

Until Covid, I was a frequent enough traveler in the SPG(WNL) - WAS corridor that most of the crew recognized me and I got to know a couple of them as well. The only constant was they were continuously being bumped or had bid to new schedules. One SPG-NHV conductor switched over to the new CTRail on the route to put an end to seemingly never ending work schedule changes. Several sleeper attendants on the Lakeshore Ltd recognized me as well.

And 25 years ago, I was on the Capitol Ltd every other week, and when I boarded in CHI, the 'usual' sleeper attendant would come around taking pre-departure beverage orders from the lounge car. After a couple of trips with her, my usual Sprite with a glass of ice was waiting for me in my roomette when I boarded. It helped that I was a generous tipper, too.

My brother and I took a couple day trips to Tampa well before Covid. Even tough they were months apart and we were riding coach - one attendant and a conductor recognized us ... not by name, just knew we had ridden their train before - of course, it may help that I usually always have an safety-orange shirt on.

Pre-pandemic I was almost always recognized by name on the Silvers. I also have been recognized on the Capitol Limited, the lounge in DC and the Orlando station.

I would be recognized by one of the younger conductors that worked the Empire Builder out of Seattle in the early 2000s. He remembered the slippers I wore on the train because he had the same pair. I was also on board for a couple of memorable "incidents" that happened in the smoking lounge while he was working and used to talk and laugh about them with him.

We usually take 8 or 10 trips on the Downeaster every summer and fall, so some of the conductors there have gotten to know us -- and they really treat us well.

Also, when we took the Crescent to Virginia in the 2019 holiday season, the sleeper attendant in the next car recognized me from a trip I'd taken three months earlier, when I'd been in his car from BHM to NYP.

I only travel every few years, so I have not been recognized on trips separated by long periods of time. But on several occasions, I have had the same attendant on the return leg of a round-trip that I had in-bound, and it's always been nice to be treated like an old friend. I am not a huge tipper, but I'm a reliable one (unless the service is forgettable -- then I hope I never see that attendant again, LOL). They do remember respect and a decent tip.

The most memorable time was long ago when Hubby and I were on the LSL, and one of the cafe car attendants had the same last name. We started calling him "Cousin Ira" which we all took as a friendly joke because he's black and we're not. We got on the return leg, and went to the cafe car, there he was, and I just bellowed out "Hey, cousin Ira, good to see you again!" We all laughed, and certain others in the car just stared...

Today on the Acela Express, the very nice on-board employee came up to me when I boarded and said, “Going to ___ again, and would you like ___ to drink, served ____?”

I was really impressed because I had taken only two very short trips recently, and I didn’t think that I was memorable.

Have you been recognized before by on-board or other Amtrak personnel?

Do they get information before a trip as to who’ll be boarding, the person’s Guest Rewards status and the person’s travel history? Or did the person on the Acela just have an exceptionally good memory? Or both?

It would be giving Amtrak too much credit to believe they would give this kind of individual recognition on a sustained system-wide basis, but if they did it would be amazing customer relations for them. If you were addressed by name, then it could be easily to believe this is something centralized. If not, just a highly-functioning employee who deserves recognition in her or her own right to encourage this kind of friendly service.

I am on a first name basis with some places in the network. Namely the Cardinal route. I've interacted with enough of them over the years to know everyone.

As far as SCAs there are a few that remember me on the Crescent/CONO out of New Orleans the few times I've traveled. Then there are some that I will never forget like Leo. He is the best of the best.

I'm used to being recognized on my hometown train, the Pere Marquette as I know about half of the conductors by name and a LSA or two and vice versa. Also, on the Empire Builder, where I know a few SCAs, LSAs and conductors. What enhances this familiarity is that most of them I know are connected with me on social media. Now, as far as the other trains, I know one SCA on the Cardinal who is retiring in June. On my last Cardinal trip 1 1/2 years ago, the LSA and another person on the "dining staff" remembered me from a previous trip. They didn't know my name, but both told me that I wore the same t-shirt (an Amtrak Cardinal shirt) on that trip too and that's what sparked their memory of me.

Last edited:
If it was up to me I would promote him into some sort of management position running on board experience. He is truly deserving of it.
I agree. I had the pleasure of presenting an ACAC Customer Service Award to him. He had already received several other awards, including the President's Award.

I agree. I had the pleasure of presenting an ACAC Customer Service Award to him. He had already received several other awards, including the President's Award.

Once the Daily service returns and he gets to come back. You'll have to let me know his schedule as I will time my trips around him.

Once the Daily service returns and he gets to come back. You'll have to let me know his schedule as I will time my trips around him.
Unfortunately, I do not know his schedule. He was out for a while with back surgery and I heard a rumor that he might be retiring. :( If I find out anything, I will let you know.

Three years ago my wife, sister and I traveled on the SW Chief Chicago to Albuquerque for a spring break trip. When we got onboard for the trip home we had the same attendant as we did on the way down. He remembered us and we remember him. We had a good laugh to start the trip and it got better from there. By the end of the trip we were all great friends.

This has happened to me on several routes. Especially the California Zephyr and the Lincoln service. Once the sca came half way down the platform to carry my suitcase to the sleeper in SLC.

Also some of the agents in the Chicago lounge remember me.

Oh yes many times.

Once I boarded the Starlight and when my SCA came by she said “oh I remember you, you were on my first trip I ever worked, I was a waitress in the diner on the southwest Chief”

I used to know several crew members on the Crescent and City of New Orleans.

Sometimes they know your name, especially when it appears on the manifest. Back in 1994 I published a book called "Zephyr: Tracking a Dream Across America." It treated, among other things, the life of the on-board crew. Now and again when I'm riding that train, an old-timer on the crew will stop at my roomette or bedroom and mention that book. Nothing makes an author feel better than having one of his old books acknowledged. Nowadays I travel with a service dog and the crew always remembers the dog, not necessarily my face . . . or the book.

Sometimes they know your name, especially when it appears on the manifest. Back in 1994 I published a book called "Zephyr: Tracking a Dream Across America." It treated, among other things, the life of the on-board crew. Now and again when I'm riding that train, an old-timer on the crew will stop at my roomette or bedroom and mention that book. Nothing makes an author feel better than having one of his old books acknowledged. Nowadays I travel with a service dog and the crew always remembers the dog, not necessarily my face . . . or the book.
I remember buying that book when I first started getting serious about Amtrak travel.

When I was working, I would ride the Northeast Regional home two nights a week after I worked late due to taking time for a workout at the fitness center. Being Select Plus, I'd wait in the Club Acela in Washington. After a while, one of the attendants got to know me by name, and was helpful at times when I needed adjustments with my ticket. When I checked in, she always greeted me by name. After I retired, I wasn't coming down to Washington so much, but even year later, when I had reason to be in town, she remembered me, and greeted me by name. I didn't see her when I came down a month ago, but the whole lounge operation was a little messed up due to Covid.

It would be giving Amtrak too much credit to believe they would give this kind of individual recognition on a sustained system-wide basis, but if they did it would be amazing customer relations for them. If you were addressed by name, then it could be easily to believe this is something centralized. If not, just a highly-functioning employee who deserves recognition in her or her own right to encourage this kind of friendly service.
Agreed!
That is just what I experience on many of the cruise ships I return to...starting with a friendly "welcome home" when I board. The staff has an amazing ability to remember people...:)

Back