Heartland Flyer Versus Car Carrier

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the other thing to remember at 80 MPH you are covering a mile every 45 seconds. So factor that in with the reaction time to see something over a mile away at dusk which is a hard time to see anyway, and then actually respond to the controls is shortening that distance. Consider it takes a train a half mile to stop as they taught in school that really isn't true because it depends on the tonnage, line profile, weather, and speed. So I could see where the time to dump the air would be short. It all makes sense

Here's some footage at Ashland, VA from multiple angles with audio. I think it's just a couple of railfan webcams where they asked for permission from building owners. Some idiots crossed the tracks right at the station. The hissing sound is pretty easy to hear - in fact several times like little puffs. Is this a scheduled stop for #94? It doesn't sound like these guys understood that the train would be boarding from the side near the station.

What is WRONG with people these days?? And I see children there too! Total idiots, but hey, if they get hurt, it's the train's fault.....riiiiight.

MANY years ago (ten or more), we took the train to/from Ashland. At that time, I remember, there was absolutely nothing posted anywhere about what side to stand on when the train came in on the track furthest from the station. We were the only ones boarding so there was nobody to ask - the young woman at the B&B which was just behind that station building had no idea either.

Does it say anything now about where to wait?

Of course, that doesn't excuse the stupidity at trying to beat the train with baggage, children and not a brain among either of them them or the adults.

MANY years ago (ten or more), we took the train to/from Ashland. At that time, I remember, there was absolutely nothing posted anywhere about what side to stand on when the train came in on the track furthest from the station. We were the only ones boarding so there was nobody to ask - the young woman at the B&B which was just behind that station building had no idea either.

Does it say anything now about where to wait?

Of course, that doesn't excuse the stupidity at trying to beat the train with baggage, children and not a brain among either of them them or the adults.
@neroden?

Ashland is a busy track with freight and passenger. The other day, a very long freight train was on the outer track (NB) from the station were folks were waiting for the northbound NE Regional on that side. The NER pulled in the station side, and had to wait for the freighter to pass. When it did, the waiting passengers had to walk down the sidewalk to the end of the train, cross the tracks and board on the station side. I have been to Ashland station and do not believe Ashland has such distinct signage. For folks who don't take the train often, it would be confusing. My station at Elizabethtown (ELT) is clearly marked by signage - Track 1 to Philadelphia (EB) and Track 2 to Harrisburg (WB). I don't believe the Keystone Line has freight traffic anymore, so it's a sure thing what side to be on.

I don't believe the Keystone Line has freight traffic anymore, so it's a sure thing what side to be on.
Even back in the golden days of the "standard railroad of the world" (i.e., the Pennsylvania RR), the Keystone Line around Elizabethtown didn't have much freight. They built a low grade bypass called the Atglen and Susquehanna Branch that's now mostly a rail trail. I suspect that nowadays most freight between Philadelphia and Harrisburg moves on the old Reading right of way, now operated by Norfolk Southern.

Where is the consist involved in the accident? Has it been deadheaded to Chicago then Beech Grove?
I wasn’t able to track down 197, but 34087 was in the Fort Worth Amtrak yard, and is now gone. Those two should either be on their way to or at Beech Grove by now. 157 (with noticeable side scrape damage) and 35009 (the coach-cafe) were both still running on the Heartland Flyer as of last week.

Just rewatched the video and noticed someone...probably the truck driver...standing on the right-of-way and waving frantically. It's been many years since I read the rule book, but I specifically remember that repeated gestures from any person on or near the right-of-way were to be interpreted as a STOP signal.

Yes, he was too close to the crossing for the train to stop from 79 mph, but the engineer should at least have had brakes down. Perhaps he did; the event recorder will tell the tale and it ought to come out in the investigation.

Back