Heavy Impact of Snow Storm (2/1/21) on New York City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NJT had cancelled most services last night, and last night MTA announced that MNRR and LIRR would run weekend schedules. As the storm intensified, it was announced that outdoor sections of the subway would cease at 2PM the railroads at 3PM. Plenty of advance warning for people to head home. Last night buses were chained, with articulated buses removed from the road. Non essential vehicle traffic was supposed to be banned effective 6AM, but probably not heavily enforced. Traffic was very light. The GPS plow tracker website is pretty nice, you can see what category your street falls under, and how recently the street was plowed.
PlowNYC (cityofnewyork.us)

NJT had cancelled most services last night, and last night MTA announced that MNRR and LIRR would run weekend schedules. As the storm intensified, it was announced that outdoor sections of the subway would cease at 2PM the railroads at 3PM. Plenty of advance warning for people to head home. Last night buses were chained, with articulated buses removed from the road. Non essential vehicle traffic was supposed to be banned effective 6AM, but probably not heavily enforced. Traffic was very light. The GPS plow tracker website is pretty nice, you can see what category your street falls under, and how recently the street was plowed.
PlowNYC (cityofnewyork.us)

I have empathy for what you folks are experiencing. Sounds like the blizzards that the area where I live have had. Beautiful to view from the inside of someplace warm and dry. Not much fun otherwise.

I have empathy for what you folks are experiencing. Sounds like the blizzards that the area where I live have had. Beautiful to view from the inside of someplace warm and dry. Not much fun otherwise.
And me over here in SoCal where the temperature rarely dips below 50

My sister lived in Santa Monica for 2 years, and after that, Cul;ver City (then Hanford, Fresno, Antioch, and now Chandler, AZ) When this mess ends, I will go back to visiting her when it's cold here!

After living in my Queens apartment, on and off for 66 years, I finally gave it up in November. While I miss the four seasons, I certainly don't miss enduring the occasional blizzards....;)

After living in my Queens apartment, on and off for 66 years, I finally gave it up in November. While I miss the four seasons, I certainly don't miss enduring the occasional blizzards....;)
The housing is doing a pretty good job on this one, garage areas are mostly done, main sidewalks (like Parsons) open and passable, but even though we could get out (knowing you & I were on the same block) why would you want to! Today will be an official "piddle around the house" day. Besides, all of the elevators are being completely overhauled, a few at a time, so mine is out for a few more weeks. Not in the mood to walk all the way around.

I will probably be in Queens tomorrow. Although there is a light chance the residual weather will change that trip.

Seems like most roads are passable, major roads are fine, depending on temperature, melt and refreeze is always tricky in the morning before the salt and sun get to work, parking on the street will be near impossible, if the destination has a parking lot, it will probably be in decent shape by tomw, although at reduced capacity due to piles of snow from plowing.

I would leave my car, safe and snug in the garage, and walk up to the store to get whatever I needed, if I needed...
Some times I would take my "all-weather route"...out the side door, in thru the bowling alley, and up the elevator to the Jewel Avenue exit...;)

Back