Height of beds off floor (inches) for handicapped traveller?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill, if you are still reading this, I suggest you catch the Zephyr or Starlight from Emeryville to Martinez or Sacramento or something like that in a sleeper, then take the Cap Corridor or San Joaquin back to your car. Also check out the coach seats on the trip, they might recline enough for your relative. The $100 or so fare is ridiculous for such a short distance but could be well worth it. The Zephyr would be during breakfast so you could check out food, too. Interrogate the sleeping car attendant (and tip accordingly) about things like converting the seats to a bed. Take the relative if she wants, Martinez is around 45 minutes, if you book to SAC and it isn't working, just get off early. Note that sleeper fare for two people is one sleeper plus two coaches, approximately.
Thank you Alice that's a great idea. Do a little test trip with kids, they love a train ride just for fun.

I cannot imagine how your relative is going to navigate the tight winding stairwell based on what you've already told us. If your relative struggles with being driven or flown somewhere then riding Amtrak will also be a serious struggle. I suggest you take your own trip and scope it out first as I'm afraid this thread may be giving unrealistic advice.
Thank you I agree, to be very careful. It's a strange situation...as we said earlier, can't sit in a wheelchair or a transfer chair, a bit wobbly but legs otherwise pretty strong.

Spiral staircases are great as long as she can grab the railings, but what are the odds there will be a missing section of railing in a key spot? Clearly a short test trip with a tape measure is in order.

We've looked at renting or buying a properly equipped RV instead, but the train seems more fun. I guess we'll see how it pans out.

Does anyone know of--- or is there a way to find--- The actual size of the Accessible Bedroom WINDOW on a Superliner? I think they might be different sizes depending on if it is the window on the bed side --- or the window on the toilet side.

Does anyone know of--- or is there a way to find--- The actual size of the Accessible Bedroom WINDOW on a Superliner? I think they might be different sizes depending on if it is the window on the bed side --- or the window on the toilet side.
Since the room goes from side to side taking the whole available space, why would the designer put the window on the bathroom side? Doesn't make sense. Would also mean that the disabled passenger, if alone in the room, would have to get up and walk to the other side to close/open the curtain. And if one of two occupants were in the room, one's use of the toilet or shower would mean the curtain would be closed to the other. I have never given much for Amtrak management's decision making, but that is beyond even me.

As to the size, perhaps one of our disabled AUers, when taking their next trip, can measure it. One doesn't need a ruler or tape measure. It can be done with an 8 1/2x11" sheet of typing/computer paper.

Since the room goes from side to side taking the whole available space, why would the designer put the window on the bathroom side? Doesn't make sense. Would also mean that the disabled passenger, if alone in the room, would have to get up and walk to the other side to close/open the curtain. And if one of two occupants were in the room, one's use of the toilet or shower would mean the curtain would be closed to the other. I have never given much for Amtrak management's decision making, but that is beyond even me.

As to the size, perhaps one of our disabled AUers, when taking their next trip, can measure it. One doesn't need a ruler or tape measure. It can be done with an 8 1/2x11" sheet of typing/computer paper.
You're right that the room extends the full width of the car -- which is why there are windows on both sides.

I think both windows are the same size, but I'm not sure. They look the same on the floor plan diagram on this website, but the bathroom side might look smaller from inside the room because there is less wall space to pull the curtains clear. Both are definitely smaller than the double windows in roomettes & bedrooms. This video has a pretty good view of the room, including the windows on both sides.

Last edited:
The two windows (one each side) are the same size, and half the size of a regular roomette window. Essentially, a roomette has two windows on the same side and the H-room has one on each side.

I find the H-room windows too small because you have to put your nose right against them in order to get a decent field of view. There are some workarounds if that is uncomfortable. The toilet-side window is located in a good spot to sit on the lid cross-legged facing out (nose to window).

The toilet curtain is good for catching wheelchair spokes so I generally tie it out of the way, it runs diagonally across the room. Any able-bodied companions can use the hall toilets right outside the door, and leave when I want to use it.

The video (joelkfla's post) has a shot of a bit of the guy's chair before he enters the room. That entry vestibule has better and more convenient windows than the H-room so is a good place to hang out for scenery and photos, but you have to move out of the way each stop. I agree with the point at the end of the video that the Viewliner H-room is much nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back