Hello from Northern CA.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, Happy to join this community.

My first trip was about a year ago from LAX to SJC on the Coast Starlight. Loved it. Something very therapeutic about the scenery and the slower pace of travel. Meals in the dining car were great too.

I just booked my second trip, NYP to EMY this August.
First leg on the Lake Shore Limited from NYP to CHI, then transfer to the California Zephyr from CHI to EMY.

Thanks for all the excellent information here!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip! As I'm sure you've read, the meals on the LSL, while edible, are nothing like the trains west of the MIssissippi. If you are leaving NYC in a room, head up to the Amtrak lounge and load up on sandwiches and such for the trip. They don't mind at all. There is also a lounge in Chicago, but you'll get a good dinner on the CZ. Are you making a same-day connection to the CZ, or are you staying in Chicago a few days?

Sounds like a great trip! As I'm sure you've read, the meals on the LSL, while edible, are nothing like the trains west of the MIssissippi. If you are leaving NYC in a room, head up to the Amtrak lounge and load up on sandwiches and such for the trip. They don't mind at all. There is also a lounge in Chicago, but you'll get a good dinner on the CZ. Are you making a same-day connection to the CZ, or are you staying in Chicago a few days?
Thanks for the tip. I will be in a roomette on both segments. It will be a same-day connection in Chicago, a 3h 48m layover according to the schedule.

Back