Hello from the 'burgh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freejak

Train Attendant
Hi, I'm a long time (really long time) Amtrak rider. This began during college when I got curious about the 'other half' of the Harrisburg PA transit terminal. I rode Greyhound back and forth to Pittsburgh. I was intrigued by the prospect of "You can still take a passenger train?" and began using Amtrak instead. This during the late 70's. The joy of the Heritage Fleet... Not tongue in cheek, I was amazed by the comfort (when the heat worked) and glamour of that equipment. I wish I'd taken a lot of photos, especially of the lovely diners. The Slumbercoaches not so much. The Broadway Limited was still running then and I took it every chance I could.

Fast forward to around 2000 and I go into business for myself which involves a lot of travel. I have been using Amtrak for business travel ever since. People are absolutely amazed that I do this. I find it to be a great (yes, with the occasional hassle) way to travel for work. I am very productive on the train and normally arrive in the downtown where I'm going to be working. Especially up and down the East coast, this is for me a good deal. Yes it takes longer but yes the trip is also pleasant. And get this, no airline experience. Amtrak has it's issues, but air travel is now ALWAYS just miserable from start to finish. People just can't connect those dots. Travel to DC was great on the Capitol Limited, I often had the dome car to myself. No better evening than that with a glass of possibly surreptitious wine.Travel can be enjoyable, weird. ;)

I also ride Amtrak for fun. I hope to ride all the long distance routes at least once. On to the Cardinal and Lake Shore!

Jack

Back