Hello from Toronto, ON, Canada

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

New to the forum, obviously, and happy to be here. My main reason for joining is to find out more about my upcoming first ever trip on an Amtrak train. I'm not unfamiliar to long-distance train travel but this will be my first time on Amtrak, specifically the Maple Leaf in a few weeks. I'll post my questions for that trip in a more appropriate forum.

My past rail experience includes commuting weekly from university to home when I lived in the Netherlands (when students were still given free national rail passes). In addition, some of my more exotic journeys include an overnight sleeper train from Helsinki to Moscow (and back to St Petersburg), trips throughout Finland, being a coach (bus) passenger on Le Shuttle (channel tunnel), and some scattered high-speed rail in Germany.

On this side of the pond, I've taken VIA rail within Ontario on occasion, as well as Go commuter rail. Not much to write home about, especially when compared to Europe, but an experience nevertheless. Looking forward to my first Amtrak.

Trains I would still like to take include the Canadian, Rocky Mountaineer, TGV, Shinkansen, Rovos Rail, and Eurostar. I honestly don't know much about what journeys are the must-dos on Amtrak so hoping to find that out here, too.

Anyway, enough about me and on with the show!

Hello all,

New to the forum, obviously, and happy to be here. My main reason for joining is to find out more about my upcoming first ever trip on an Amtrak train. I'm not unfamiliar to long-distance train travel but this will be my first time on Amtrak, specifically the Maple Leaf in a few weeks. I'll post my questions for that trip in a more appropriate forum.

My past rail experience includes commuting weekly from university to home when I lived in the Netherlands (when students were still given free national rail passes). In addition, some of my more exotic journeys include an overnight sleeper train from Helsinki to Moscow (and back to St Petersburg), trips throughout Finland, being a coach (bus) passenger on Le Shuttle (channel tunnel), and some scattered high-speed rail in Germany.

On this side of the pond, I've taken VIA rail within Ontario on occasion, as well as Go commuter rail. Not much to write home about, especially when compared to Europe, but an experience nevertheless. Looking forward to my first Amtrak.

Trains I would still like to take include the Canadian, Rocky Mountaineer, TGV, Shinkansen, Rovos Rail, and Eurostar. I honestly don't know much about what journeys are the must-dos on Amtrak so hoping to find that out here, too.

Anyway, enough about me and on with the show!
Welcome to AU, it's always good to have more members from the Great White North!

Long Distance Trains that are musts on Amtrak include the California Zephyr, the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder.

If it ever resumes service, the Adirondack between Montreal and New York City is also a nice ride!

Welcome from another Ontarian. I used to live in Toronto and was just there this past weekend. There is a lot of information here on the Maple Leaf, although some is dated due to its various suspensions during the last few years (bridge repairs, Covid). Hope you enjoy your trip!

Back