Hello, I'm new here w/questions about coach on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Any word on the hot water availability to a coach rider?
Bob Dylan did mention that. ...the Cafe attendant will give you a cup.of hot water upon request."

Note, IMHO, Amtrak coffee (which used to be really fabulous) is still better than Staryuks - and cheaper too!
Please get a AGR “Amtrak Guest Rewards” card. You don’t need to apply for the credit card part just the AGR.

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to do that.

The Amtrak website section on personal food and medication indicates that passengers can bring a small cooler. The website clearly states that Amtrak can provide ice for your cooler to keep your medications cold but is silent on providing ice to keep your food cold. Is the omission deliberate or unintentional? Keep in mind that your attendant may expect or appreciate a tip for this service.

Amtrak can not store medications (or any other personal item) in their refrigeration. Some people travel with meds that need to be kept cool, that is an accommodation to that situation. This is the official "ice" position . Ice a) Amtrak will provide ice to customers upon request, as long as there is a sufficient supply on board. It is particularly important that ice be provided to any customer who has medication which needs to be kept cool. b) Ice can be dispensed to customers as follows: • In an ice bucket • In an Amtrak plastic cup • In a freezer bag (available from the kitchen)
Ice is not "unlimited", don't expect them to fill a chest of large size.

How about asking when more ice will be loaded on your train and go get what is left just before that restocking ? That of course if the OBS does not save the ice and takes a full replacement load. Or maybe able to get some from the restocking source ?

How about asking when more ice will be loaded on your train and go get what is left just before that restocking ? That of course if the OBS does not save the ice and takes a full replacement load. Or maybe able to get some from the restocking source ?
The restocking source is often an ice machine padlocked shut at a station. That is what's in Havre, IIRC.

But like just about all commonly sold packaged meals and a great majority of restaurant meals in the US too much salt, too much sugar, and too much fat. Folks always point it out about the Amtrak meals, they rarely mention the fact that it is true of a majority of prepared food in this country.
Many American meals are unhealthy and many American meals are unappetizing, but it's rare for them to be both unhealthy and unappetizing because that's a pointless combination.

Oh, come on, the flex meals aren't that bad.
Says the man who also says he has never been served a bad meal.

The lounge car attendant can give you ice, just explain your vegan and have a small cooler. Of course they might refuse to, but if you explain the reason you should be able to.
You could also request ice from your SCA.
Ice is not "unlimited", don't expect them to fill a chest of large size.
My friends & family still laugh at all the LSA's and SCA's who threw a conniption fit when asked for some basic service like ice or hot water. One of their favorites was the "Do you know how far I have to walk to get that ice?!" lady. I'm not sure what Amtrak wants to happen on long distance trains but in my experience staff simply refuse about half the time.

Last edited:
Many American meals are unhealthy and many American meals are unappetizing, but it's rare for them to be both unhealthy and unappetizing because that's a pointless combination.

My friends & family still laugh at all the LSA's and SCA's who threw a conniption fit when asked for some basic service like ice or hot water. One of their favorites was the "Do you know how far I have to walk to get that ice?!" lady. I'm not sure what Amtrak wants to happen on long distance trains but in my experience staff simply refuse about half the time.

Crikey!

=

Wow! How rude! I'm sorry you had to experience that.

I wouldn't dwell too much on some of the "information" posted here. Amtrak staff are not "saints" but neither are they dedicated to ruining your trip...
I am surprised how so many of our "Amtrak Fan A.U. Members" continually just snipe and gripe about every small detail. I was going to add "get a life", but then again, we are train enthusiasts, so a suggestion too far! ;) :D

Wow! How rude! I'm sorry you had to experience that.
I agree that it was rude but we laugh about it now. Some staff simply have no shame. The key to success seems to be going to the lounge or snack car and making a purchase with tip along with your request.

Not true. I've extensively reported on the inedible "breakfast" I was served by United Airlines. Amtrak flex food, while not the height of gourmet cuisine, is perfectly edible.
Fair point about United Airlines but have you really never had a bad meal on Amtrak? I've had several good meals in between the bad ones and genuinely miss the Chef Inspired era.

Fair point about United Airlines but have you really never had a bad meal on Amtrak? I've had several good meals in between the bad ones and genuinely miss the Chef Inspired era.

I've had a few mediocre meals, but never anything inedible. I would say the worst was in 2015 on the Southwest Chief when I got the "light" entree, which was a "braised beef." Well, to make the entree "light," they used a low-fat cut, a round roast I think, cut into cubes. To braise beef, you really need a fatty cut, like chuck or short ribs and cook it until it's about to fall apart. They didn't cook those beef cubes enough, and, boy were they tough! This was "traditional dining," by the way.

I also miss the "chef-inspired" era. My favorites were the veal shanks I had on the Capitol in 2007, and a braised short ribs I had on the Capitol in 2013.

I wouldn't dwell too much on some of the "information" posted here. Amtrak staff are not "saints" but neither are they dedicated to ruining your trip...
I am surprised how so many of our "Amtrak Fan A.U. Members" continually just snipe and gripe about every small detail. I was going to add "get a life", but then again, we are train enthusiasts, so a suggestion too far! ;) :D

When the CPR (no, not that CPR) radio reporter rode the California Zephyr between Grand Junction and Fort Morgan and return recently she was impressed by both the scenery and the staff. Her beautiful from-the-train photos made me eager to be traveling again, even though I've made many trips on the CZ.

Colorado Public Radio

Back