Hello ! New Member taking California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone,
New member here, currently residing in the D.C. area. I have been taking Amtrak from New York to Georgia since my childhood, but never across the country.
I am excited to be taking the full length of the California Zephyr in August. This will also be my first trip using the sleeping accommodations.
Looking forward to conversing with everyone in the forum. :)

Welcome! The odds are you will have a fantastic time. The CZ is one of the best trains, for scenery and general service. The food has been significantly upgraded, and you'll enjoy your room.

As you'll hear if you hang out here, things occasionally go wrong. *Most* trains do just fine. Just roll with anything that comes along, and you'll be fine.

You didn't say which direction you were headed, but if you are headed westbound, when the train gets into Denver immediately go camp out in the Sight Seer Lounge (SSL for short) in one of the side-facing chairs on the side facing the station. About 30 minutes after the train leaves Denver, you'll go through some of the best scenery around, and you will be on the correct side to look out toward the plains. The car *will* fill to standing room only long before the train leaves Denver. Eastbound isn't so critical, you'll get plenty of Sierras on either side, and you want to be on the left side coming out of the Moffat Tunnel, assuming the train isn't so late that it is dark already.

If you have any other questions, ask away, we've all been there. And don't forget you can bring your own alcohol in your room, just don't take it outside the room except at the far end.

Oh, and don't forget a 8-12' extension cord with a multiprong outlet.

Welcome! The odds are you will have a fantastic time. The CZ is one of the best trains, for scenery and general service. The food has been significantly upgraded, and you'll enjoy your room.

As you'll hear if you hang out here, things occasionally go wrong. *Most* trains do just fine. Just roll with anything that comes along, and you'll be fine.

You didn't say which direction you were headed, but if you are headed westbound, when the train gets into Denver immediately go camp out in the Sight Seer Lounge (SSL for short) in one of the side-facing chairs on the side facing the station. About 30 minutes after the train leaves Denver, you'll go through some of the best scenery around, and you will be on the correct side to look out toward the plains. The car *will* fill to standing room only long before the train leaves Denver. Eastbound isn't so critical, you'll get plenty of Sierras on either side, and you want to be on the left side coming out of the Moffat Tunnel, assuming the train isn't so late that it is dark already.

If you have any other questions, ask away, we've all been there. And don't forget you can bring your own alcohol in your room, just don't take it outside the room except at the far end.

Oh, and don't forget a 8-12' extension cord with a multiprong outlet.
Hello! 🖐 You read my mind. These were some of the questions that I wanted to ask about. Glad you brought up the alcohol, I was wondering if there was a bartender on the train. From what I see of the menu, it appears they just serve the spirits straight, but I prefer mixers and cocktails. Now I know, I can bring my own supply 🍸 ;).... Is ice available?

I am headed westbound (Chicago to Emeryville and then then thru coach to San Francisco). I will use public transit to continue to Daly City, CA.

My roomette assignment is Car 532, Room #7, not sure what this means in relation to the configuration of the train.

I am curious about the morning the train arrives in Denver. I heard that the SSL fills up quickly upon departure.
  1. Would you suggest forgoing the Dining Car breakfast for that leg of the trip, or maybe opt for the 6:30 am reservation? I want to be sure to get a good seat in SSL.
  2. I know there is no wi-fi, but how is the cell phone service (I use AT&T)?
  3. Have you used the Thruway Coach Bus to San Francisco, and if so, will it drop me off near a BART station?
I appreciate any other tips you can give me about the trip as well. This is something that I have always wanted to do, and it has taken me a while to save up for it. I want to be sure my experience is an enjoyable one.

Thank you kindly for your travel tips :)

Back