Help a greenhorn out! PLEASE!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if its different in WAS, but in Albany everyone is fine with you watching. Done it twice, and both times not had any major problems. WAS is a covered station, and a little less open though. I think what everyone else has been describing is just in case.
And certainly talk to and get to know your attendant and any other staff. Some are gruff, but most are happy to explain things or whatever if they aren't already busy.
Yes, Albany is decidedly less cautious. Probably in part because it is far less of a target, probably in part because the station itself is farther from the train (unlike DC where part of the train is actually under the station), and probably because after leaving the Albany station the train doesn't use a tunnel that goes under sensative areas. Whereas going south from DC one is in a tunnel under some very sensative areas of Washington DC.

Now, that said, I would urge caution in DC if you disembark to watch the engine change. I do know of people that have been questioned before for trying to do so, myself included. Additionally, they have just this week clamped down on security in WUS, including blocking off some platforms from others on the upper level. One used to be able to walk from one side of the upper level to the other, right alongside the bumper blocks. One can no longer do that, as of this week, for security reasons.
Just wondering, is this increase in security just to be safe, or was there some incident that prompted it? Does it have anything to do with the shootings, and will it be permanent? How did they block off platforms, and why did thios increase security? I know..a lot of questions.

Now, that said, I would urge caution in DC if you disembark to watch the engine change. I do know of people that have been questioned before for trying to do so, myself included. Additionally, they have just this week clamped down on security in WUS, including blocking off some platforms from others on the upper level. One used to be able to walk from one side of the upper level to the other, right alongside the bumper blocks. One can no longer do that, as of this week, for security reasons.
Just wondering, is this increase in security just to be safe, or was there some incident that prompted it? Does it have anything to do with the shootings, and will it be permanent? How did they block off platforms, and why did thios increase security? I know..a lot of questions.
It definately had nothing to do with yesterday's horrible and tragic shooting at Virginia Tech. This move was planned long before yesterday. As to whether there was some other incident that caused Amtrak to do this, I can't say. AFAIK it will be permanent, but who knows Amtrak could revise things in the future, especially if other security measures are implimented. All I can really do is to quote the press release from MARC dated for April 9th.

E News: April 16 service changes
Union Station Pedestrian Flows to Change

To facilitate new security procedures, Amtrak Police are changing foot traffic patterns at Washington Union Station. These changes will go into place in phases and may have an effect on the routes you normally take to and from your MARC train.

On April 16th, a barricade will be erected between tracks 16 and 17 restricting the flow of foot traffic on the upper level in the track area.

Once this barricade is in place, trains arriving on tracks 17-20 will only be able to exit to the station via Gate G. Trains arriving on tracks 7-16 will only be able to exit to the station via Gate A. Trains departing from tracks 17-20 will continue to board through Gate A.

For those few trains that arrive on the lower level, access to the station will be via Gate G, which will become one-way from the lower level concourse into the station. The doors that connect the lower level concourse and the upper level train area will no longer allow entry to the upper level train area. Passengers from VRE will not be able to traverse the track area while going to Metro.

The afternoon Penn Line train that departs from the lower level will no longer board at Gate A, but will instead board through Gate L (Gate G will not allow entry to lower level concourse.) near McDonald's.

Because of limitations to the gate board signs, this train will not appear on the Gate A board where you usually find MARC trains. Please refer to the Amtrak departure monitors to verify what gate and track your train will board from.

So my family and I are taking the train (#20) from N.O. to NYC in July. My wife and I just thought it would be a fun experience for not only our kids, but she and I as well.
We have never been on a train trip before. After doing a bit of research on this board I see problems with trains being on time.

Can anyone tell me if we should expect a 6 hr delay on this trip? I followed a suggestion that I saw in a thread here that said to go to amtrak.com and find the schedule for the last five days. I did this and saw the train arriving a few minutes early on a couple of days, but 1-2 hrs late on the others.

I can handle a delay of 1-2 hrs. Is this the norm? Anyone here with experience on this route?

Also, I booked two roomettes. We are in car 2010 rooms 001 and 002. Is this cool? Are there "roomette" locations that are better than others? Are rooms 004 and 005 better than 001 and 002? :)

Folks, any and all replys will be much appreciated!

2:36 to 7:53

Gentlemen..Ladies. Thanks so much for your input. I have read many threads concerning the good and the bad of Amtrak travel. My wife and I will just make the best of any situation that comes our way! We are a very flexible family. :D

I have a question about The Crescent leaving N.O. Today for example all is well with a 7:20 am departure, arriving in Tuscaloosa around 1pm.

It shows an approximate 2:36 arrival in BHM. Why does it take so long to get from BHM to ATL, though? I understand we go from Central time to Eastern so you gain an hour, but still why 4 hrs to get to a place you could normally drive in 2?

Am I reading the schedule wrong?

Thanks for all your input up to this pt!

S. I. T.

It shows an approximate 2:36 arrival in BHM. Why does it take so long to get from BHM to ATL, though? I understand we go from Central time to Eastern so you gain an hour, but still why 4 hrs to get to a place you could normally drive in 2?
Four hours is the real Birmingham <--> Atlanta running time, and at that duration has almost no slack. The alignment of this piece of railroad is essentially as originally built in 18 whatever. From Austell to Atlanta to Washington the entire line got rebuilt and double tracked in the 1900 to 1915 time frame, reducing the distance by several miles and eliminating a lot of the curves. Since 1915, there has been very little realignment of major railroad lines simply because the money was not there.

Since the Atlanta to Birmingham segment is essentially cross grain to the lower end of the Appalachians, it is very curvey due to limitations on the ability to economically do large volumes of earthmoving when originially built. Many of these curves are in the 35 to 45 mph range, and almost none of the line is good for more than 50 to 55 mph for passenger trains. Freight speed limits are usually about 5 ot 10 mph lower. It is, or at least used to be a fairly reliable trip, as the line has CTC with a number of long passing tracks, so delays by other trains was minimal.

If somebody could come up with somewhere around $2 billion, this could be turned into a 79 mph plus line that you could schedule in 2.5 hours or less, but otherwise, you can't squeeze the time down much at all.

US 78 pre interstate took about the same 4 hours plus to drive between B'ham and Atlanta.

George

Four hours is the real Birmingham <--> Atlanta running time, and at that duration has almost no slack. The alignment of this piece of railroad is essentially as originally built in 18 whatever. From Austell to Atlanta to Washington the entire line got rebuilt and double tracked in the 1900 to 1915 time frame, reducing the distance by several miles and eliminating a lot of the curves. Since 1915, there has been very little realignment of major railroad lines simply because the money was not there.

Since the Atlanta to Birmingham segment is essentially cross grain to the lower end of the Appalachians, it is very curvey due to limitations on the ability to economically do large volumes of earthmoving when originially built. Many of these curves are in the 35 to 45 mph range, and almost none of the line is good for more than 50 to 55 mph for passenger trains. Freight speed limits are usually about 5 ot 10 mph lower. It is, or at least used to be a fairly reliable trip, as the line has CTC with a number of long passing tracks, so delays by other trains was minimal.

If somebody could come up with somewhere around $2 billion, this could be turned into a 79 mph plus line that you could schedule in 2.5 hours or less, but otherwise, you can't squeeze the time down much at all.

US 78 pre interstate took about the same 4 hours plus to drive between B'ham and Atlanta.

George

Thank you, George. Excellent answer! I had no idea. I am truly a rookie. I had a chance to head out to the Tuscaloosa station today about 1:15. I saw #20 heading East, followed by #19 heading west about a half hour later. It was very cool!

sit

And what George Harris said about the ATl-BHM line could be said about many parts of the country.

Also, those of us are who are old enough to remember life before intersate highways remember a time when the train was much more competitive than it is today with our super highways but no super railroads.

Finally, the installation of interstates not only meant faster speeds for cars but--- often forgotten --it made for faster bus schedules as well.

Historically the lightweight streamlined diesel powered passenger train was certainly as fast or faster than the bus or the legally-speed driven auto. At one tme.....that is.....

One consolation---as Mr. Harris described the area is very curvey....that can be kind of neat---watching the train go around the curves. Since you will be in a sleeper (near the front) you will not get the full impact of that but when you are in the diner or the lounge you will better see what I mean.

LAST but not least---I live in Atlanta, so wave out the left hand side of the train shortly after you leave the station. My apartment building can be seen looming in the background.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what George Harris said about the ATl-BHM line could be said about many parts of the country.
Also, those of us are who are old enough to remember life before intersate highways remember a time when the train was much more competitive than it is today with our super highways but no super railroads.

Finally, the installation of interstates not only meant faster speeds for cars but--- often forgotten --it made for faster bus schedules as well.

Historically the lightweight streamlined diesel powered passenger train was certainly as fast or faster than the bus or the legally-speed driven auto. At one tme.....that is.....

One consolation---as Mr. Harris described the area is very curvey....that can be kind of neat---watching the train go around the curves. Since you will be in a sleeper (near the front) you will not get the full impact of that but when you are in the diner or the lounge you will better see what I mean.

LAST but not least---I live in Atlanta, so wave out the left hand side of the train shortly after you leave the station. My apartment building can be seen looming in the background.

:D Bill, I'll make sure I have the whole family wave!

Thanks,

sit

I had a chance to head out to the Tuscaloosa station today about 1:15. I saw #20 heading East, followed by #19 heading west about a half hour later. It was very cool!
Just looked on Amtrak's web for the new schedule. It shows for Tuscaloosa:

19: 1:11 pm

20: 1:01 pm

Now that would make them meet very close to but north of Tuscaloosa if they are on time.

Just for curiosity I looked at a 1988 NS employee timetable I have, and unless they have built a new siding, this schedule is simply impossible. It would require a siding to be located with the south switch something like 2 to no more than about 3 miles north of the Tuscaloosa station. (You have to consider acceleration, braking, wait for signal to leave the siding and standing time in the station, as the posted time is supposed to be the leaving time.)

According to the ETT, you have

143.0 Birmingham Amtrak Sta. (zero milepost is Chattanooga)

156.0 Burstall - end of two main tracks

164.5 Kimball - 11,835' siding

172.3 Woodstock - 15,214' siding

186.5 Fleming - 9,436' siding

198.4 Tuscaloosa - station

200.0 Tuscaloosa Siding - 10,088' siding

there are six more sidings between here and Meridian, but I am tired of writing.

292.7 Breyer - begin two main tracks

295.0 Meridian Passenger Station

What you saw, about 30 minutes between trains works out just about perfectly for a meet at Fleming.

For your information as a rookie, this piece of railroad, Chattanooga to Meridian is frequently referred to as the AGS for Alabama Great Southern. It kept its corporate existence under the Southern Railway System umbrella until sometime in the 70's or thereabouts. Going south from Meridian, the mileposts start over, and this is the New Orleans and Northeastern, mileposted from the Meridian end. Shortly east of the Birmingham station going eastward, you join the Southern Railroad, which is mileposted from Washington DC. The southern railroad line turned north at that point to go past the former Terminal Station in Birmingham, and then continued west to Columbus, Mississippi. I believe the parts west of Parrish AL are now abandoned.

If you think Atlanta to Birmingham is crooked, you ain't seen crooked until you get west of Birmingham. I had the experience of riding a detour of the Tennessean in the mid 60's that came through Birmingham due to a derailment on the bridge at Decatur. It took 5 hours to go the about 138 miles from Birmingham to Sheffield AL, and only 5 minutes was lost due to a meet. 40 mph was as fast as you got, and much was slower. Our engineer and conductor went dead on the law, but since we had a pilot engineer and conductor, the train kept going anyway. (Parrish to Sheffield is also called the Northern Alabama, and was also a separate company at one time. A piece of it, Haleyville AL to Jasper AL had passenger trains - City of Miami - right up to Amtrak because the Illinois Central had trackage rights over it to reach Birmingham. Jasper on in to B'ham was on the Frisco.)

George

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a chance to head out to the Tuscaloosa station today about 1:15. I saw #20 heading East, followed by #19 heading west about a half hour later. It was very cool!
Just looked on Amtrak's web for the new schedule. It shows for Tuscaloosa:

19: 1:11 pm

20: 1:01 pm

Now that would make them meet very close to but north of Tuscaloosa if they are on time.

Just for curiosity I looked at a 1988 NS employee timetable I have, and unless they have built a new siding, this schedule is simply impossible. It would require a siding to be located with the south switch something like 2 to no more than about 3 miles north of the Tuscaloosa station. (You have to consider acceleration, braking, wait for signal to leave the siding and standing time in the station, as the posted time is supposed to be the leaving time.)

According to the ETT, you have

143.0 Birmingham Amtrak Sta. (zero milepost is Chattanooga)

156.0 Burstall - end of two main tracks

164.5 Kimball - 11,835' siding

172.3 Woodstock - 15,214' siding

186.5 Fleming - 9,436' siding

198.4 Tuscaloosa - station

200.0 Tuscaloosa Siding - 10,088' siding

there are six more sidings between here and Meridian, but I am tired of writing.

292.7 Breyer - begin two main tracks

295.0 Meridian Passenger Station

What you saw, about 30 minutes between trains works out just about perfectly for a meet at Fleming.

For your information as a rookie, this piece of railroad, Chattanooga to Meridian is frequently referred to as the AGS for Alabama Great Southern. It kept its corporate existence under the Southern Railway System umbrella until sometime in the 70's or thereabouts. Going south from Meridian, the mileposts start over, and this is the New Orleans and Northeastern, mileposted from the Meridian end. Shortly east of the Birmingham station going eastward, you join the Southern Railroad, which is mileposted from Washington DC. The southern railroad line turned north at that point to go past the former Terminal Station in Birmingham, and then continued west to Columbus, Mississippi. I believe the parts west of Parrish AL are now abandoned.

If you think Atlanta to Birmingham is crooked, you ain't seen crooked until you get west of Birmingham. I had the experience of riding a detour of the Tennessean in the mid 60's that came through Birmingham due to a derailment on the bridge at Decatur. It took 5 hours to go the about 138 miles from Birmingham to Sheffield AL, and only 5 minutes was lost due to a meet. 40 mph was as fast as you got, and much was slower. Our engineer and conductor went dead on the law, but since we had a pilot engineer and conductor, the train kept going anyway. (Parrish to Sheffield is also called the Northern Alabama, and was also a separate company at one time. A piece of it, Haleyville AL to Jasper AL had passenger trains - City of Miami - right up to Amtrak because the Illinois Central had trackage rights over it to reach Birmingham. Jasper on in to B'ham was on the Frisco.)

George

Your feedback is much appreciated sir! My young un's are positively geeked for this trip! Thanks to all of you folks for the feedback!

If you feel the need to add something to the thread, please keep it coming!

sit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back