Help getting from NYP to NHV from 91/92

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am traveling the first week of August in the handicapped bedroom from Florida to New Haven Connecticut. I used to do this at least four times a year pre-Covid. When I booked this trip they kept canceling and rescheduling me and now there's only one train that goes from Florida to New York and (its much longer and no dining service just high salt fatty frozen dinner ) the train now gets into NY too late to make a connection to get me to New Haven.

I was told that I could get a cab to Grand Central Station and a train from Grand Central to New Haven however being disabled I don't know if that's going to be easy for me especially with two suitcases etc. To rent a hotel would be $200 and to rent a car service would be about $250. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get to New Haven from Penn Station at 8:00 PM (or later of 91/92 latet or when when the train will get to New York. This is crazy that Amtrak does not have a later train than 8:00 PM I also tried greyhound but they too did not have a late bus that would meet this train . Can someone help me figure out how to get to New Haven
have same problems getting back to my but they had a acela which if on time will make it to my before 91/92 leavea for florida

I travel to New Haven from Cleveland and encounter the same problem at Penn Station when I try to connect. In my case, I stay a night, usually at the New Yorker Hotel.

I think your best bet is the taxi to Grand Central from Penn. Maybe you could bribe (tip) a red cap to take you and your two suitcases to the taxi stand on 8th Avenue. That's what I'd try to do if I were in your position.

But before you do that, check the Metro North train schedules to New Haven to make sure there is a train from GCT to the Elm City at the hour you'll need it.

Best luck. This is a tough way to travel at a late hour.

If you can spare the extra day, how about breaking your trip in Alexandria, Virginia?

Florida to Alexandria—the train gets to Alexandria midafternoon, the station agents are right there and extremely helpful, there are plenty of decent hotels, so you should be able to find one with decent rates (or use points if you do hotel rewards clubs and if the rates are too high because it’s summer—still has to be cheaper than NYC), and Lyfts and Ubers are plentiful and will take you to/from the hotel.

You get a nice relaxing evening in a pleasant city instead of what sounds like a nightmare in NYC.

Then the next day take one of the many regionals from Alexandria to New Haven.

I regularly use Alexandria as a stopover on a long trip.

I don’t know how changing your ticket would work—if Amtrak will slap your wrist with a penalty—but others on here will know that.

Back