help me pick next routing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amamba

Engineer
Hi folks - I am planning my next trip for March 2014 with AGR points. I have enough to do a three zone 1 way in a roomette, and it will most likely be a solo trip. I am going to SEA. I have already done LSL - SWC - CS out there (westbound) and my most recent eastbound trip I did EB - LSL. I don't mind buying a coach ticket from PVD to somewhere on the corridor if it enables me to get a better trip because not all of the choices have been programmed into arrow from PVD. I would like to ride routes that I have not yet done

Westbound choices:

Choice 1: Cardinal - CZ - CS

Pros: can take directly from PVD on Saturday night but con is that it comes with 4+ hour layover in NYP in the morning on a Sunday

Pro: Adds two new routes (cardinal & CZ)

Is the connection time in CHI OK on this one?

Choice 2: Crescent - paid overnight in NOL - SL - CS

Pros - adds two new routes (Crescent & Sunset Limited) plus I have never been to New Orleans

Con - will have to pay for my own overnight in NOL, not sure if the SL is that great of a train (scenery wise), might be TOO much train time for me as it takes an extra night

Eastbound choices:

Choice 1: CS - CZ - Cardinal

Pros - adds the CZ and the cardinal

Cons - have to get off the Card in WAS and then take the overnight train back to PVD (could possibly change this by taking train to NYP, staying with friends for the overnight, then going up to PVD the following morning on a paid coach ticket), only three hour connection time in CHI (is that a problem for March on the CZ?)

Choice 2:

CS - CZ - LSL

Pros - adds the CZ, long connection time in CHI to the LSL

Cons - have done the LSL twice before

ETA: I think I might only book this to worcester and have my H pick me up there if I go for this routing.

I am hesitant to do the EB right now because a) I would rather get an extra day on the train and b) I am afraid of delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough Choice but I like the East bound #1 the Best since youll get the Trip from SEA-PDX through the Cascades, Sierra Nevadas, Rockies and the New River Gorge in Daylight! If you Choose this One Remember to Book your Connection between the CS and CZ in Davis or Martinez (or Even Emeryville if AGR Allows it which they will If you Ask and get a Good Agent!)so you can have Breakfast on the Starlight and not have to get off so Early in SAC nor hang around the Less than Pleasant SAC Station! Spending the Night in NY with Friends and riding a Regional or Acela Home sounds like a Good Idea also! whichever you Choose, it's the Only Way to Roll!!! ;)

I agree with Jim. (I must be sick! :eek: )

EMY is not a valid connection point, but MTZ and DAV are. Also they may try to get you from 50 to 66 in WAS. If you don't want the overnight on 66 (it will be in BC with the 2x1 seats), there is also the possibility to request #190 out of WAS at 3:15 am. WAS is open 24 hours, has a large police presence (both Amtrak PD and DC PD). You'll have plenty of company (passengers) to keep you company, at least 1 food stand stay open all night - but the CA closes at 9:30! :(

You arrive PVD about 11 am.

Should I be concerned at all about the connection between the CZ and the Cardinal if I am heading East?

One of my best friends lives in Sunnyside right now (benefits, can hear the trains from her house!) so if I do the trip eastbound I will probably end the trip in NYP, take the LIRR out to her from NYP and spend the night. Then I can sleep in and take a regional or Acela home. Maybe an acela - gotta get some points in 2014. :)

Should I be concerned at all about the connection between the CZ and the Cardinal if I am heading East?

One of my best friends lives in Sunnyside right now (benefits, can hear the trains from her house!) so if I do the trip eastbound I will probably end the trip in NYP, take the LIRR out to her from NYP and spend the night. Then I can sleep in and take a regional or Acela home. Maybe an acela - gotta get some points in 2014. :)
March is a Good time of the Year for the Zephyr! Youlkl still see Snow in the Mountains and the OTP is usually Pretty Good on this Train into CHI unl;ess Something Happens! (Stuff Happens as We Know!) In a Pinch, they'd rebook you on the Cap Ltd. to WAS/then a Regional to NYP or if Really Late the Lake Shore Ltd., (you Probably could even ride the Boston Section if that worked Better for you??) At the Worst ,you'd be Put Up @ a Hotel with Cab Fare and Meal Money on Amtraks Dime in CHI, then Ride the Next Days Cap or LSL since the Card is a 3 Day a Week train as you know! Go for it I say! ;)

I'd probably have some concern, but of late the CZ has been pretty good at making the connection I believe. Perhaps Ryan can tell us better with his stats. :)

The first stop on the LIRR is Woodside, east or past Sunnyside. So they'd either have to pick you up at that station, not an easy feat; or you'd have to take a subway at some point. If the latter, best just to take the subway the whole way.

I've walked to their house from Woodside, it's under a mile and SO much faster than the subway.

ETA: Last time they picked me up, too. :)

Just as a quick update, I am now booked on the CS connecting to the CZ to the Cardinal, leaving SEA on March 24th! I only had 50K points so I booked it as a roomette redemption.

Now, when I booked it, I asked to connect in Martinez or Davis. She put me on hold but said that it wasn't possible anymore and they are no longer allowing that.

Is it worth a PM to our AGR Insider on this one?

As suggested by the traveler, I sent a PM to AGR Insider and he confirmed that the train operations folks have in fact made this change. The only spot for the guaranteed connection between the CS and the CZ is now SAC. So sadly Davis and Martinez isn't allowed for either paid or AGR travel.

I'm still thrilled for my trip! :)

As suggested by the traveler, I sent a PM to AGR Insider and he confirmed that the train operations folks have in fact made this change. The only spot for the guaranteed connection between the CS and the CZ is now SAC. So sadly Davis and Martinez isn't allowed for either paid or AGR travel.

I'm still thrilled for my trip! :)
Happy Holidays up there in Red Sawk Nation! It's too Bad they made this Change but Consider buying a Round Trip Coach Ticket from SAC to Davis or Martinez ( almost certainly the Conductor and SCA will let you stay in your Room), have Breakfast in the Diner on the way or in Davis (some Great Places around the Station)while you wait for the CZ in the much Nicer Davis or Martinez Station! (and again the Conductor/SCA will let you occupy your Room when you Board ) Not much going on in Downtown SAC in the Early Hours of the Morning! Still a Guaranteed Connection in SAC!!Worth a thought! ;)

If the Starlight Runs Late you can Bail in Sacramento after having Breakfast in the Diner and Cancel your Rez or Voucher it for the RT Coach Ticket!

For those coming south on the CS to SAC, I have found one place to have breakfast within walking distance. It is called Jim Denny's and is on 12th between H & I. On Dec. 4 my wife and I hoofed it east on H to 12th. The place is a bit of a hole in the wall but is famous for its "hubcap" pancakes. They will even make it with 4 slices of bacon and an egg in the center which is the hubcap with spokes.

Adam Richman ate this on Man v. Food. I have not been back to the former Denny's near Old town.

If the CS is on time, I'll try Jim Denny's again before getting on the bus to Stockton to catch the San Joaquin.

As suggested, buy a coach ticket on the CS from SAC to MTZ and aaa coach ticket from MTZ to SAC. Speak with your SCA on the CS and most probably you can remain in your room to MTZ. At MTZ, go right to the sleeper to board, and i bet you'll be allowed to occupy the room early.

I have done exactly this, and there was no problem!

Back