Help on planning 7,440 miles cross-country

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a few do's and don't's about traveling in a public domain and I'd like to suggest you keep your phrase    "just slumming" on the down low when riding in coach. It may create a few awkward occasions.
Not quite sure what you mean here, do you mind explaining?

The accommodation charge for a sleeper would be the sleeper price minus a Value fare coach ticket, correct? For example, on July 21, 2019, a roomette on the Sunset Limited #2 to from LAX to SAS is $429. The Saver coach fare is $123 and Value is $154, so would the price for upgrading to the roomette be $306 or $275?

Recently we learned that we may have another friend who is interested in going on this trip. Is it possible to fit three tall but slim young guys in a Superliner Bedroom? Would it be worth it to take turns sleeping in the chair with the other two guys in the beds? I know the child bed in the Family Bedroom is too small, correct? And I think the Roomette would be too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
The accommodation charge for a sleeper would be the sleeper price minus a Value fare coach ticket, correct? For example, on July 21, 2019, a roomette on the Sunset Limited #2 to from LAX to SAS is $429. The Saver coach fare is $123 and Value is $154, so would the price for upgrading to the roomette be $306 or $275?
The price of a sleeper ticket on Amtrak is as follows:

The total cost of the ticket = the number of passengers x the lowest bucket Value coach fare + the accommodation charge

It is never based on Saver fares.

The price of a sleeper ticket on Amtrak is as follows:

The total cost of the ticket = the number of passengers x the lowest bucket Value coach fare + the accommodation charge

It is never based on Saver fares.
So upgrading to a Roomette would be $275? I only want to know since we're using Rail Passes, so we'd only be paying the accommodation charge.

Recently we learned that we may have another friend who is interested in going on this trip. Is it possible to fit three tall but slim young guys in a Superliner Bedroom? Would it be worth it to take turns sleeping in the chair with the other two guys in the beds? I know the child bed in the Family Bedroom is too small, correct? And I think the Roomette would be too small.
You can put three people in a Superliner Bedroom, but it is tight, and you have to book your ticket by phone to do so. The chair in the Bedroom is really uncomfortable and I try to avoid merely sitting in it, let alone sleeping in it. If you're both skinny, you probably can sleep two in the lower bunk (it's 3'4" wide), but it won't be particularly comfortable.

The adult berths in the Family Bedroom is the exact same bed/couch module as in the regular Bedroom, while the two child berths are unique to the Family Bedroom, and are 4'7" and 4'9" long. So unless any of you are well under 5 feet tall, I don't think sleeping in either of those beds is a good option.

And finally, there is the Superliner Roomette, which is absolutely, positively, definitely, undoubtedly, without question, no doubt, too small for three adults. That would be hell.

You can put three people in a Superliner Bedroom, but it is tight, and you have to book your ticket by phone to do so. The chair in the Bedroom is really uncomfortable and I try to avoid merely sitting in it, let alone sleeping in it. If you're both skinny, you probably can sleep two in the lower bunk (it's 3'4" wide), but it won't be particularly comfortable.

The adult berths in the Family Bedroom is the exact same bed/couch module as in the regular Bedroom, while the two child berths are unique to the Family Bedroom, and are 4'7" and 4'9" long. So unless any of you are well under 5 feet tall, I don't think sleeping in either of those beds is a good option.

And finally, there is the Superliner Roomette, which is absolutely, positively, definitely, undoubtedly, without question, no doubt, too small for three adults. That would be hell.
If we can swing it, we'll get two Roomettes across from each other. I forget what the best locations are, though I know people have differing opinions.

It doesn't seem like you're sure on your opinion that three adults can fit in a Roomette, could you clear that up for me? ^_^

If we can swing it, we'll get two Roomettes across from each other. I forget what the best locations are, though I know people have differing opinions.

It doesn't seem like you're sure on your opinion that three adults can fit in a Roomette, could you clear that up for me? ^_^
Three adults in a Bedroom or Family Bedroom is a bookable option. You may regret it, but Amtrak will let you try it. Three adults in a Roomette is NOT a bookable option; the conductor would probably kick one of you back to coach.

Two roomettes in proximity to each other is ideal. If that price is out of reach and two of you are willing to share a twin bed, then go for the Bedroom or Family Bedroom. I'd pick the latter if the price is comparable as the kid beds, while too short for an adult, adjoin the lower berth giving you an extra foot and a half of length to make it a little easier to sleep head to foot.

So upgrading to a Roomette would be $275? I only want to know since we're using Rail Passes, so we'd only be paying the accommodation charge.
You are correct. But there is a simpler way to see how Amtrak fares break down. Once you select the roomette (or any other room) and click "Add to Cart", it brings you to this page. Just click on the little down arrow next to the price...

amtrak full page.png

...to give you this drop down. Then just click on "Details"...

amtrak second.png

...and it shows you the exact components of that fare. No math needed.  :)

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 6.34.36 PM.png

I would also note that I'm pretty sure $275 is not low bucket, so there may be some better prices to be found.

Three adults in a Bedroom or Family Bedroom is a bookable option. You may regret it, but Amtrak will let you try it. Three adults in a Roomette is NOT a bookable option; the conductor would probably kick one of you back to coach.

Two roomettes in proximity to each other is ideal. If that price is out of reach and two of you are willing to share a twin bed, then go for the Bedroom or Family Bedroom. I'd pick the latter if the price is comparable as the kid beds, while too short for an adult, adjoin the lower berth giving you an extra foot and a half of length to make it a little easier to sleep head to foot.
I thought you technically could put three people in a Roomette. I know that a few months back somebody posted a list of the capacity of all the different Amtrak rooms, so I'll try and check that to verify.

And depending on the route, a pair of Roomettes can in many cases cost less than one Bedroom or Family Bedroom, so that may end up being the best choice. But as with all things Amtrak, YMMV.

I thought you technically could put three people in a Roomette. I know that a few months back somebody posted a list of the capacity of all the different Amtrak rooms, so I'll try and check that to verify.

And depending on the route, a pair of Roomettes can in many cases cost less than one Bedroom or Family Bedroom, so that may end up being the best choice. But as with all things Amtrak, YMMV.
You can put an adult and two children, or three or four children with no adult, in a Roomette if you call and book it over the phone. But you cannot book three adults in a Roomette under any circumstances, even for daytime-only (non-berth service) travel.

Back