Help planning cross country trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryher

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
After me and my sons last LD trip (and second ever) we decided to get an Amtrak Mastercard. They were giving out a nice bonus for signup. Over the last two years I've built up almost 100,000 points. I'd like to take him in his (and my) first cross country trip next year. Would love insight into planning.

We live outside PHL. Either NYC or WAS to CHI. Then always heard the CZ was the best trip for views? So maybe EMY?

As always for us it's the trip not the destination. Our last trip was on the Crescent. We arrived at night. Checked into a hotel and got right back on early the next AM. Only other trip was on the Autotrain.

There will be just two of us. Were spoiled snobs and will only ride in in bedroom. ;-) Oh also timing would be next summer. June thru August. I picked a random date just to see and can't believe the CZ leg alone was 88,000 points!!

For most of us, it is the journey and not the destination. You will get different points of view on which routes to take from Philadelphia.
The Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh, transferring to the Capitol is a good option. Nice daylight trip through the Alleghenies and around the Horseshoe Curve, and you have a few hours in Pittsburgh to enjoy the city. The CZ is a spectacular trip. Can't ever tire of that, but the Southwest Chief has it's charm as well. But the Empire Buildier is also a nice trip. The option of going to DC and taking the Capitol straight to Chicago is also worth considering. The daylight scenery through Maryland, West Virginia and Western PA is also excellent.

After me and my sons last LD trip (and second ever) we decided to get an Amtrak Mastercard. They were giving out a nice bonus for signup. Over the last two years I've built up almost 100,000 points. I'd like to take him in his (and my) first cross country trip next year. Would love insight into planning.

We live outside PHL. Either NYC or WAS to CHI. Then always heard the CZ was the best trip for views? So maybe EMY?

As always for us it's the trip not the destination. Our last trip was on the Crescent. We arrived at night. Checked into a hotel and got right back on early the next AM. Only other trip was on the Autotrain.

There will be just two of us. Were spoiled snobs and will only ride in in bedroom. ;-) Oh also timing would be next summer. June thru August. I picked a random date just to see and can't believe the CZ leg alone was 88,000 points!!
I am amazed how much more my proposed 2021 cross country trip is compared to my 2019 trip. In early December 2019, I traveled from ORL-WAS-CHI-SAC (on California Zephyr)-SEA-CHI-WAS-ORL all in Bedrooms other than the Silver Meteor between ORL and WAS. That entire trip cost about 125,000 points. I just reserved a trip for this December (early - between Thanksgiving and Christmas, which used to be a slow and inexpensive time). I am traveling ORL-NYP-CHI-LAX-EMY-CHI (on California Zephyr)-WAS-ORL, all in Bedrooms other than NYP-CHI on the Lakeshore Limited. I tried several dates and the best "price" I could get was approximately 252,000 points (more than double what I paid 2 years before). Fortunately, I had enough points and I wanted to use them before I am too old to travel cross country.

I have made many cross country trips over the years and loved every one of them. Each one was a little different.

The Horseshoe Curve scenery is great but if I'm heading to Chicago and west I usually go through New York or DC because the connection is at better times than at Pittsburgh and the stations are way nicer.

Another option is taking the Cardinal which stops at Philadelphia and then making a loop back.

PHL-CHI-EMY-PDX-CHI-WAS-PHL

Trains in order:
Cardinal
California Zephyr
Coast starlight
Empire builder
Capitol limited
Northeast Regional/Acela

Back