Help with layover in Los Angeles. What to do in 12 hours?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Cal

Foamer
Many times. Other nice stops are San Clemente Pier,Oceanside and San Juan Capistrano.
I reccommend San Juan Capistrano, lovely little place. There's the San Juan Capistrano Mission within walking distance, a pretty good (Chicago) pizza place, a movie theatre, and a great antique shop. Trevor's at the Tracks is also right on the platform, it's great for train watching while eating.

Chris I

Service Attendant
Thank you - I will look into the Metro Line - is it safe? I would like to go back to Santa Monica - we went to the pier on tour so didn't get to stay long. The Science Center sounds good too. :)
I think so. We have taken most of the rail lines in LA with our little kids. Never had an issue.

PVD

Engineer
AU Supporter
Funny, I have visited the LaBrea Tar Pits while in LA, and enjoyed the visits but for some reason whenever they are mentioned, I think of the version of Pico & Sepulveda that was used as the intro to "The Dr. Demeneto Show"

trainman74

Conductor
Funny, I have visited the LaBrea Tar Pits while in LA, and enjoyed the visits but for some reason whenever they are mentioned, I think of the version of Pico & Sepulveda that was used as the intro to "The Dr. Demeneto Show"
There's nothing particularly touristy at the titular intersection of Pico and Sepulveda - an office building, a lumber/hardware store, a couple strip malls indistinguishable from all the others in L.A. They should at least put up a monument to that song.