Help with Q? about DC's original trolley system...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HARHBG

Service Attendant
I've been trying to find info, diagrams, explanations, pictures, ..... in general, any info on DC's old trolley underground power supply system.

How it worked, etc. Any suggestions on where to look for this info? I've googled everything I can think of but haven't hit on much of anything.

THANKS for any suggestions, leads or info..........

I imagine HARHBG means more of the conduit power supply that was underground between the two rails. If you Google DC streetcars with a conduit power supply you'll probably come up with more info. DC couldn't have overhead wires like most streetcar systems. In the old city and Georgetown part of DC they had the conduit that ran between the two running rails and a collection shoe extended from the streetcar into the conduit, and once they reached what was Washington County they could switch to the usual overhead power collection. Most of those links were just about the underground streetcar station at Dupont Circle.

To get the new streetcar running with overhead power supply, the city council passed a law allowing overhead wires on H Street. When they eventually do continue the streetcar across the downtown area they're going to have to come up with some alternate power supplies like batteries or a new kind of ground supply like they use in some systems in France. The old conduit was a pain to maintain apparently.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, what I'm looking for is an explanation as to the mechanics of the underground power supply. How it worked, etc. Diagrams, pictures, explanations would be a tremendous help. I imagine it was a nightmare to maintain and probably severely limited speed also. That it worked at all is amazing.

New York also had the same underground power supply system and San Francisco was about to do the same until the earthquake of 1906 happened and the underground power system idea was abandoned in order to get the streetcar system back in operation as quickly as possible.

I've exhausted all ideas as to what to "Google", as everything I input returns everything but what I'm looking for. I'll admit, what I'm trying to find is pretty obscure, but DC's system was in operation up to the early 1960's so I'd think there would be info out there somewhere.

As for DC's NEW system, battery operation is probably what they will go with. I watched Seattle testing a new battery powered streetcar line close to Union Station.in November. Had both overhead and battery. Trains would go up and down the line first with overhead power then do a run off the overhead.

However, I read of a new system being developed in Germany and France that uses a n induction system for power.

There is an existing system in France where the contact rail is only in separate sections of about 33 feet long, and only energized when a vehicle is above it.

Again, THANKS! for all the links and suggestions. What I've figured out is the combination of "conduit", "power", and "underground" in google searches seems to bring the best results. I never would have associated "conduit" with that particular power system, so I'm very grateful to all who posted.

Back