Heritage Cars in Whippany

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I noticed today on the way to the eye doctor that the Whippany Railway Museum (Whippany, NJ) has a couple of Heritage Coaches (at least one, and possibly another 2-3 types of Heritage Cars). I don't know who owns them, why they're there, or how long they'll be there. The cars are in Phase III Scheme. Does anyone know any any additional info?

Also, its an interesting piece of info I wanted to share with you guys.

Amfleet said:
Maybe the are the old Heritage Cars from the Clockers. Those cars, I believe, dated back to PRR and Penn Central.
Could be, Hopefully will be able to investigate soon.

If I can make it there with the hope that they'll still be there, I have every intention of photographing it. For those of you familiar with my website, thats where my photos of the celebrate the century express were taken.

Here's one at Whippany.

AMT4613.jpg

Amfleet is right. The old "Clocker" coaches, the ones that were recently removed from service on New York State routes (particularly the Adirondack) were in the 7000 number range. The 4613 in the photo, I cannot recall in my memory ever seeing or hearing about something like that, so it has to go WAY back before Amfleet II's were introduced for long-distance trains.

By the way, I believe the Whippany Museum is only open on Sundays :angry: -- perhaps you could shoot over there tomorrow??

Superliner Diner said:
Amfleet is right.   The old "Clocker" coaches, the ones that were recently removed from service on New York State routes (particularly the Adirondack) were in the 7000 number range.  The 4613 in the photo, I cannot recall in my memory ever seeing or hearing about something like that, so it has to go WAY back before Amfleet II's were introduced for long-distance trains.
By the way, I believe the Whippany Museum is only open on Sundays :angry:  -- perhaps you could shoot over there tomorrow??
I'm thinking next Sunday, when it'll hopefully be drier after I go to that train show in Clark. I hope I can get a lot of photos.

These appear to be former Union Pacific ACF coaches. I remember riding these and other Heritage coaches on Lake Shore, Broadway and Capitol Limiteds in the 1980s. I preferred being seating in Heritage coaches rather than Amfleet II.

I agree with metro club's time estimate. And they easily could have been former UP coaches. Those coaches were painted yellow and any cars which Amtrak acquired, and kept, were eventually stripped of original colors so that all would be a matching silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back