HHP-8/Acela Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Completely random, and a bit obscure, and I think I know the answer. Do the Acelas and HHP-8's use AC or DC traction motors? I'm guessing AC, but I may be wrong.

Eight AC, three-phase asynchronous motors, 1537hp each (four per power car). The variable voltage (11-25kV) and frequency (25 and 60hz) catenary supply is first stepped down via a transformer, then rectified to 2850V DC, and then inverted back to AC to power the motors.

Eight AC, three-phase asynchronous motors, 1537hp each (four per power car). The variable voltage (11-25kV) and frequency (25 and 60hz) catenary supply is first stepped down via a transformer, then rectified to 2850V DC, and then inverted back to AC to power the motors.
what are the specs for the HHP-8 motors then?

4 fully suspended 1.5 MW (2,000 hp) Alstom Onix AC Traction Motors. They are physically larger than the Acela power head motors.

The DC link is the same I believe but with beefed up capacity for both supplying the more powerful motors and a heftier HEP alternator than the Acela power heads have. Also I believe they have a heftier transformer to support the higher load.

Remember, each Acela power head has to deliver only 6000 and change HP, whereas a single HHP-8 has to deliver 8000HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 fully suspended 1.5 MW (2,000 hp) Alstom Onix AC Traction Motors. They are physically larger than the Acela power head motors.

The DC link is the same I believe but with beefed up capacity for both supplying the more powerful motors and a heftier HEP alternator than the Acela power heads have. Also I believe they have a heftier transformer to support the higher load.

Remember, each Acela power head has to deliver only 6000 and change HP, whereas a single HHP-8 has to deliver 8000HP.
Beat me to it. Bigger motors: more power in and more power out.

But it would be correct to still say that Alstom is the manufacturer for both propulsion systems (HHP and Acela)?

But it would be correct to still say that Alstom is the manufacturer for both propulsion systems (HHP and Acela)?
yes.
And also the AC-converted AEM-7's.
^lol yes; that, i knew.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060325065654/http://www.transport.alstom.com/home/Products_and_Services/RAIL_VEHICLES/Subsystems/10741.EN.php?dir=/home/Products_and_Services/RAIL_VEHICLES/Subsystems/&docId=10741&languageId=EN&docLink=7647

This was back in the day when they actually released this kind of information out openly. I wish there was this kinda thing for newer locomotives and EMUs, but no one seems to be releasing detailed equipment specs anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back