Hiawatha Peak/Off Peak Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is a question to which I just do not know the answer and the ramifications if I make the wrong choice. Back in September, I had some expiring Amtrak points and redeemed them for a random ticket on the Hiawatha, which is good for a year. The train is unreserved, but subject to peak pricing.

Friday afternoon, I am going to ride from Chicago to Milwaukee on the 5:08pm departure, which is a peak train. My ticket says that it is not valid on either of the peak departures. So, here is my question. What if I board the train with this ticket? Is there a way that I can pay the nominal $3 fare difference between a peak and off peak train? I don't have the points to upgrade the ticket and I'm not even sure you are allowed to do it. If I mess up and the conductor will not take the ticket, can I just buy a new ticket from the conductor or from my phone? It just seems silly to not be able to use any of the value of this ticket, especially when the cash fare is $25 off peak and $28 peak.

Thanks for your help.

I've never tried to use an off-peak ticket on a peak Hiawatha train. From what I've overheard of conductors talking with other passengers and making announcements, my guess is that you'd be asked to purchase a new ticket on a peak train. (But that's just anecdotal at best. Perhaps others have more definitive information.)

I'm not sure if conductors can sell a different fare on the same ticket. If they can, it's probably a hassle that they don't want to do, and they'll just make you buy a separate peak ticket from them. You can go to the ticket counter in Chicago and see what they can do. If you had a paid ticket, the ticket counter would easily just charge you the difference and reissue the ticket. But points tickets are slightly different as I understand it. The counter might say that they can only sell you a whole new peak ticket or they might be able to charge the difference.

It seems you've created quite a problem for yourself bywanting to ride on a "peak hour" train.

Solutions:
Ride a non-peak hour train.
Check at the CUS ticket booth to change your non-peak ticket to a peak ticket. It shouldn't be a problem.

Back