Hiawatha Service, stuck with Horizons?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredevad

Lead Service Attendant
Just wondering if anyone has heard what's next, if anything, for the Hiawatha consist. Are there any plans to replace the Horizon equipment, or did Wisconsin blow it when it thumbed it's nose at Talgo and we're stuck them?

<vent>

Soon after Wisconsin's announcement to not go with the Talgos, the Amfleet cars that have been on either end for quiet cars for years were replaced with Horizons. Maybe/probibly a coincidence, but felt like "punishment". I realize the Horizons are newer than the Amfleets, but they feel older and less modern to me.

</vent>

Since Wisconsin didn't participate in the bi-level purchase, it looks like the Horizons/Amfleet combos will solider on in the near future.

Just wondering if anyone has heard what's next, if anything, for the Hiawatha consist. Are there any plans to replace the Horizon equipment, or did Wisconsin blow it when it thumbed it's nose at Talgo and we're stuck them?

<vent>

Soon after Wisconsin's announcement to not go with the Talgos, the Amfleet cars that have been on either end for quiet cars for years were replaced with Horizons. Maybe/probibly a coincidence, but felt like "punishment". I realize the Horizons are newer than the Amfleets, but they feel older and less modern to me.

</vent>
Just curious, but when did you notice that the couple Amfleets had been replaced with Horizons? I thought I had ridden in the last few months a couple times and we still had the mixed Amfleet/Horizon consist.

Just curious, but when did you notice that the couple Amfleets had been replaced with Horizons? I thought I had ridden in the last few months a couple times and we still had the mixed Amfleet/Horizon consist.
If I recall, it was sometime this past spring or early summer. I remember asking the conductor about it who told me something along the lines of "replacing the older equipment". That's when I looked up the Horizons vs. Amfleet and was shocked to find out the Horizons were newer. Keep in mind that I haven't reached AGR Select status by riding the Hiawathas and will place no claim on being an expert on the service, so perhaps I was just not lucky enough in any of my rides since spring to get a consist with the Amfleets. I just haven't seen them since. I'll miss them.

I was on the Hiawatha last night (#341 from GLN-MKA) and there was one Amfleet car on the consist and 5 Horizon cars. I highly doubt Amtrak is trying to "punish" anyone by putting Horizon cars on the Hiawathas vs. Amfleets. Amtrak just puts on whatever single level car they have available when a car needs to be switched out on the Hiawatha equipment. I prefer Amfleets to Horizons myself when I travel because the lighting is a lot less harsh on the Amfleets... but dont think this has anything to do with the Talgo debackle. If there are more Horizons on the Hiawata... it might because Amfleets are being used exclusively for (and being branded as such) as "Illinois High Speed Rail" cars for the route to Saint Louis. So probably more Horizons are available now that more Amfleets are being used on the Lincoln Service train sets. And yes, it's confirmed that the Hiawatha will NOT have the double-decker equipment that will be used throughout much of the Midwest in the coming years... as Wisconsin did not purchase any for their use.

And since I don't get to ride Talgos, I am glad the Bears knocked Aaron Rodgers out of the game. Thats the karma cheesehead nation gets for messing up the Talgo purchase.
Now they're saying He'll Be back Sunday and Next Week the Pack Plays Da' Bears! Hopefully Da' Bears wont Imitate the Cowgirls! :help: The Only Teams I Don't Want to See Win are the Giants, the Pack, The "Deadskins", .The Jets and The Steelers! :p

FYI, today one of the Hiawatha sets has one Amfleet car and the other set has two Amfleets.

I realize the Horizons are newer than the Amfleets, but they feel older and less modern to me.

</vent>
I much prefer the Amfleet, also. The Amfleet were derived from the original MU Metroliner "Corridor Cars" design, and were meant for high speed runs of several hundred miles.

The Horizon's were evolved from the Comet cars, which were designed for commuter trains....

Every time I've been on the Hiawatha (just a handfull, mind you) the Amfleet on the south end, was the quiet car. Horizons made up the rest, and were regular coaches. I think I've ridden 4 times now, and that was the consist each time for me. I don't mind the Horizons, other than that horrible glarish flouorescent light they use, same with the hallways of the Viewliners, just looks cheap and overly bright. I prefer the subdued lighting on the Amfleets and Superliners. Otherwise, I think they ride fine, never really noticed much difference even at 110. In fact, my last trip on the Michigan line at 110, I noticed the Amfleet cafe seemed to ride worse than the horizon coaches at speed. Maybe it was just me. I'll be on it again in a week or so, heading South, will most likely be in the Quiet Car again, not becuase it's quiet, but because it's a Amfleet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently on 334, in an Amfleet 1 on the head end behind the cabbage F-40, so they still have some Amfleet coaches.

Reminded me of my childhood trips, riding to KC, except today the F-40 was silent, not screaming in notch 8! Great way to start a 2 day trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back