Hiball F40PHR #231!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F40PHR231

Train Attendant
Big day today! The F40PHR #231 has left Beech Grove, along with sister locomotives numbers 237, 239, 295.

At this minute, they are in CSX's Indianapolis freight yard, 231 will be shipped to Chicago's BNSF interchange for the final journey to its new home.

Work on the locomotive began in January 2003, to rebuild the air brake system in order to transport it. This involved installing a new brake valve, and pipes underneath the locomotive.

Then, the east coast snow storm drove volunteers out for 3 weeks, which then the work resumed. 231's horn and bell was removed, and shipped separately. All the doors have been welded shut, an air-leak test proved successful, and 231 bidded a final goodbye on Friday, March 21st to Amtrak, where it's worked for in the past 26 years.

Long term plan is to donate it to Friends of 4449, in Portland, Oregon. We are eager for 231's arrival, which will recieve much fanfare once it gets here, everybody's invited for the barbeque!

I do not know what the exact plan is for routing, or dates, and will try to keep everybody informed as much as possible. It'd be nice to get some photographs of 231 in transit on CSX from Indianapolis to Chicago, and on BNSF from Chicago to Portland.

Doyle McCormack has helped me through this process, he even went out to Beech Grove last week to ensure final projects were completed. We also sent the shipping payment on Friday.

Also, a brand new website for the locomotive, containing photographs, project status', it still needs more work though! www.f40phr231.org

A bank account was created as well, I am hammering out final details for the website, and awaiting PayPal account verification so donations are more than welcome. Check the website in a few days for more funding deatils. All donations are tax-deductible too!

So... What to do when it arrives? How does the original delivery Phase II paint scheme, with the SDP40F #552 markings below the window sound? :)

F40PHR231 said:
Long term plan is to donate it to Friends of 4449, in Portland, Oregon. We are eager for 231's arrival, which will recieve much fanfare once it gets here, everybody's invited for the barbeque!
F40PHR231,

That's fantastic news! Please let us know when it arrives in Portland. I live near Salem, OR, so I'll definitely have to be there. Hmmm...maybe that'll give me an excuse to ride the Cascades from Salem to Portland. :)

F40PHR231 said:
So... What to do when it arrives? How does the original delivery Phase II paint scheme, with the SDP40F #552 markings below the window sound? :)
I don't know about that, I'd give her a fresh coat of III leaving the Operation Lifesaver markings. That's sort of the thing that makes the unit stand out.

We can always repaint it in the future, my idea is to have some fun, with meaning. Phase II is something my generation has yet to see much of. It would certainly be repainted back into Phase III with OLS decals.

This is an amazing story to me, which I am having a heard time wrapping my mind around: that individuals would dedicate so much to a machine! What do you do with it when it arrives in Oregon? Is it running? Who purchased it and how much did it cost? How much does it cost to ship it to Oregon, and how does it get there?

Also, former Amtrak Operation Life Saver F40 231 was released the same day and is being routed to Portland, Ore., for restoration.
The above quote is from a small story in Trains.com. The story also talks about 3 other F40's heading to Arizona. You can read the full story here.

This is an amazing story to me, which I am having a heard time wrapping my mind around: that individuals would dedicate so much to a machine! What do you do with it when it arrives in Oregon? Is it running? Who purchased it and how much did it cost? How much does it cost to ship it to Oregon, and how does it get there?
Don't worry, I have a hard time understanding why I do this too! I just know that it has to be done -- In between high school, and college, I really should be out partying like a normal teenger!

This engine sort of has sentimental value (you'll read more about it in an upcoming issue of TRAINS mag) that I just did what I had to do. When it arrives to Portland in the next 2 weeks, I'm going to wash it down, reinstall the horn, hook up the air hoses to the on-site compressor, and give it a few toots! B)

It is in operable condition, after we test an oil sample, and conduct some work to ensure no water is inside the pistons, we should be able to fire her up by summer time. I secured a loan to purchase the F40 from Amtrak, for $20,000. It is in my name, but the long term plan is to donate it to Friends of 4449, as they have shown their dedication to maintain operable locomotives -- being a group I volunteer with, I'll have 231 around!

~Chris

Congratulations are in order; you are doing something worthy of a TV documentary in my view.

Where do you store it in Portland? Can visitors to Portland come see it?

There is a rail museum here in Dallas with lots of locomotives, but I don't recall seeing any functioning equipment. How many groups maintain working locomotives such as you are doing?

I know there are several groups here in Florida that maintain working locomotives. They include the Jacksonville Chapter of NRHS (they own a 44 tonner) and the Gulf Coast Museum in Miami. The Gulf Coast recieved several old Tri-Rail locomotives, and is hoping to recieve at least one of Tri-Rail's frmr Conrail F-40's.

Where do you store it in Portland? Can visitors to Portland come see it?
It's being stored in SE Portland. I am a volunteer for the Friends of 4449, and I'm donating the engine to that group. See www.4449.com for more info and pictures.

The roundhouse is not open to the public, so private tours have to be made, particularly due to being on private property. The www.orhf.org was formed to help the future of the 3 steam locomotives, plus various of diesels, including the 231.

~Chris

March 24 was a big day for Chris Fussell – his newly acquired F-40PH No. 231 has left Beech Grove, Ind., and is enroute to its permanent home in Oregon. Also moving, he said, were “sister locomotives 237, 239, 295.”
Still another story on the F40, although it's largely the same one that Chris originally posted. I just thought it was nice that he was getting more publicity for his wonderful act to preserve this fine old engine, so I'm posting this link to NCI's Destination: Freedom Newletter.

Great job Chris. :)

Thanks! :D

Amfleet said:
I'd go with a coat of Phase III without the OLS markings, but that's just my opinion. Great job and effort to restore such a beautiful locomotive. :)
I agree, great job Chris. :) Glad to see you're doing wonderful work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back