Amtrak Cascades Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, one of the problems is that when Amtrak provided replacement equipment, they didn't quite provide enough equipment, and the result is the Cascades running with about one or two cars less space than they have traditionally had.

With demand far outpacing availability, it seems obvious that Amtrak should send more equipment out. With Horizon’s so tight until this whole Venture situation works itself out, maybe Amfleet 1‘s could get sent out. There seem to still be enough of them. More trains is only going to shift the problem along because ridership jumps with each new frequency because the whole line becomes a better service. It’s annoying the ridership is still so low despite sellouts and NEC high fares.

There were four horizons on todays #3 arrival into LA. I think they're probably for the Surfliner, but maybe they'll be sent up to the PNW?

There were four horizons on todays #3 arrival into LA. I think they're probably for the Surfliner, but maybe they'll be sent up to the PNW?
That seems strange. I would have expected to go via the empire builder if they were for Cascade. Did you happen to get any road numbers? they could be the cafe cars California was using with Arrows.

That seems strange. I would have expected to go via the empire builder if they were for Cascade. Did you happen to get any road numbers? they could be the cafe cars California was using with Arrows.
I didn't, I just saw them on the Winslow cam last night.

Will the Cascades Train go back to schedule of a direct route from PDX to Mount Vernon? (without changing trains in Seattle)
Yes, 518 will go from Portland to Vancouver, BC without changing trains, including intermediate stops like Mount Vernon.

There is a long, 30 minute stop at Seattle's King Street Station, though.

Last edited:
Thank you for reply Zephyr17. However, I can't find a time schedule for this. The latest schedule on Cascades website is Sept 26, 2022 and does not show the trip you mentioned. Do you know when the direct route will start?

Hopefully this will help the Cascades get its ridership back up. It’s been stuck at 40k for months with very little changes. I think that’s the capacity problem
I hope so too.. for the past few months the horizon sets only had 2 Coach cars and a cafe/buisness class car which means the entire train was limited to a capacity of around 100 seats. From what I have heard the Talgo 8 sets have over double that capacity.

Amtrak Cascades Service Fully Restored

Direct travel between Portland and Vancouver, BC now available

WASHINGTON – Amtrak, in collaboration with ODOT, WSDOT and other agencies resumes Cascades service between Portland, Ore. and Vancouver, BC on March 6. Today’s announcement marks the first time direct service will operate between Portland and stations north of Seattle since 2020. Serving 12 stations along the I-5 corridor in western Washington, customers traveling north can depart Portland at 3:05 p.m. — Seattle at 7 p.m. — for an 11 p.m. arrival in Vancouver, BC. The southbound train leaves Vancouver, BC at 6:35 a.m. for an 11 a.m. stop in Seattle and a 2:55 p.m. Portland arrival.

Full Amtrak Announcement

Amtrak Cascades Service Fully Restored

Direct travel between Portland and Vancouver, BC now available

WASHINGTON – Amtrak, in collaboration with ODOT, WSDOT and other agencies resumes Cascades service between Portland, Ore. and Vancouver, BC on March 6. Today’s announcement marks the first time direct service will operate between Portland and stations north of Seattle since 2020. Serving 12 stations along the I-5 corridor in western Washington, customers traveling north can depart Portland at 3:05 p.m. — Seattle at 7 p.m. — for an 11 p.m. arrival in Vancouver, BC. The southbound train leaves Vancouver, BC at 6:35 a.m. for an 11 a.m. stop in Seattle and a 2:55 p.m. Portland arrival.

Full Amtrak Announcement
As of 2330 March 7th, Train 518 Business Class is sold out somewhere between PDX and VAC, and Coach fare is chugging upwards, higher than any of the Rail+Bus itineraries. Ditto for Train 517.

Back